- Q: How do I join the CLASSmates Program?
A: All incoming freshman with majors in CLASS are automatically approved members of the CLASSmates Program. During a New Student Orientation (NSO) session, you will meet with an academic advisor to discuss and plan your first semester schedule. Your academic advisor will activate your CLASSmates program membership by registering you for the sections of the core courses reserved exclusively for CLASSmates students.
- Q: What are the benefits of joining the CLASSmates Program?
A: Experience a smoother transition to college life
Meet new friends
Connect with faculty members
Get assistance with major/career exploration
Opportunity to participate in activities inside and outside of the classroomd benefit from those resources
- Q: Do the courses in the CLASSmates Program fulfill my major requirements?
A: Yes. Courses offered in the CLASSmates Program meet the University Core Curriculum requirements, which must be completed by all students with a degree from any Texas public university.
- Q: What is the difference between taking courses as a member of the CLASSmates Program and taking general sections of those same courses?
A: The main difference is that you will take two core courses with the same group of your peers. You will get to know the other CLASSmates program members through academic and social activities outside of the classroom, which will help you to start study groups and build friendships. Another major benefit is that the CLASSmates instructors have been selected from among the highest-rated professors in CLASS. They are committed to working with CLASSmates students to achieve success at UH.
- Q: What if I have AP/IB/Dual Enrollment credit for a course listed with The CLASSmates Program?
A: Students who have already completed the required CLASSmates courses or who are members of certain UH programs may not be able to participate in the CLASSmates Program. CLASS is committed to student success; therefore, if you do not qualify for the program, your academic advisor will provide other programs and services to help you have a very successful academic experience.
- Q: What if I change my major during my first year and I've signed up for CLASSmates courses?
A: CLASSmates courses are core curriculum courses required for all students to graduate. This means you typically will need these courses regardless of your major.
- Q: What else is required of CLASSmates students?
A: You decide how involved you want to be in the CLASSmates Program. The only requirement is that you enroll in the courses reserved exclusively for CLASSmates members. Whether or not you take advantage of opportunities to meet other students, form study groups, participate in programs, attend special events, and get to know a faculty member is up to you.
- Q: Does it cost extra to join the CLASSmates Program?
A: No, there is not an additional fee to be a member of The CLASSmates Program.
- Q: I’m living off campus. Does the CLASSmates Program work for commuting students?
A: The CLASSmates Program is a wonderful opportunity for off-campus students. It is a great way to meet other students right away and feel part of the UH community even though you are not living on campus. Students who join the program have stated that their CLASSmates peers became their UH family.
- Q: Is there someone on campus I can talk with about the CLASSmates Program?
A: Yes. Please call the CLASS Academic Affairs Office at 713-743-4001, or stop by - - we’re in Agnes Arnold Hall (AH) Room 320.