The M.A- Ph.D. program in Spanish offers a perfect academic environment for students interested in advanced studies in the fields of Hispanic, Latin American and Peninsular Literature, Spanish Linguistics or Creative Writing. The program has been designed to provide knowledge and develop critical thinking on traditional and modern approaches used in these fields to students that have Bachelor’s degree and are interested in earning the MA and the Ph.D. in Spanish in a continuum process.
For more information about the course work, expectations and the progression of the PhD program please see the PhD Students Handbook.
General requirements for unconditional admission to the MA-Ph.D. in Spanish Literature or Linguistics
- A completed Bachelor’s degree in Spanish, or its equivalent
Students who have a Bachelor's Degree in a field other than Spanish must take the following courses before entering the M.A. (students must have the appropriate level of Spanish to take these courses either by taking the prerequisites or placing into them via the placement-credit exam; equivalent courses taken in other institutions are accepted; please refer to the Department of Hispanic Studies' course catalog for course details):
- SPAN 3306: Intro to the Study of Span Lang
- SPAN 3384: Introduction to Hispanic Literature
- Two 4000-level courses according to the student's interest
- Completed online application through CollegeNet [all required documents are to be directly uploaded to your account during the application process. Please prepare them beforehand. Official individual mark sheets in certain countries, transcripts, and degree certificates must be sent directly to the Graduate school and to the Graduate Admissions Advisor in Hispanic Studies at the addresses included below]
- A statement of research in Spanish (between 1000 and 1500 words) explaining your academic interests and projects (see this link to find the guidelines you must follow for writing your statement ).
- Three letters of recommendation from the applicant’s professors detailing the potential of the applicant at the Ph.D. level (sent directly by recommenders via CollegeNet)
- Writing sample (Graded)
Acceptable scores on the General Aptitude section of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)Note: The GRE requirement has been temporarily waived for 2021 applications.
- Official transcripts: A set of official transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to the University of Houston Graduate School (102 E. Cullen Building Houston, Texas 77204-2012).
- Transcripts that are not in English must be sent along with an official translation made by a certified interpreter.
- Please see the Graduate School guidelines for transcripts and diploma verification
Additional Requirements for International Students in all Concentrations
- Certified copy of diploma: besides official transcripts and their translation, international students must send a copy of their graduation diploma. If the document is not in English, an official translation made by a certified interpreter must be attached. The diploma must be sent to the University of Houston Graduate School (102 E. Cullen Building Houston, Texas 77204-2012).
- English certifications options:
- TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language: A score of at least 79 on the (international students only, unless they have earned a college degree from an American university)
- Duolingo English Test for English proficiency exams. The exam costs $49 (USD) and may be taken from any computer that has a camera, audio and reliable internet. The exam portion of the Duolingo English Test contains a series of speaking, reading, writing and listening exercises. Following the exam, there will be an interview portion that will ask you to respond to various prompts in 30 to 90 seconds. The exam will take about 45 minutes to complete and you will need either a passport, driver license, or national or state ID to show the camera. The score results are generally received within a few days of exam completion. A minimum score of 105 is required.
For information on the GRE and the TOEFL visit the Educational Testing Service web site . (UH Code: 6870)
IMPORTANT: ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETE BY DECEMBER 1ST (INCLUDING TRANSCRIPTS AND EXAM RESULTS GRE, TOEFL) IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR FUNDING. INCOMPLETE DOSSIERS WILL NOT COMPETE FOR SCHOLARSHIPS. Click here to download the Spanish PhD application checklist
Once admitted to the program
- No course in which a grade below B- (2.67) is received may count towards Ph.D. degree.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 (B) for all graduate courses attempted is required for a graduate degree; failure to maintain this average will result in a warning, probation, or suspension.
- Qualifying written and oral examinations are required to obtain admission to candidacy
- The student must develop a dissertation on a topic in literature which can be considered to be original and of significance to scholarship.
- Language requirement: Reading knowledge of one language in addition to Spanish and English is required. It may be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- Four college semesters at the undergraduate level (or equivalent proficiency as demonstrated by testing) in another Romance language.
- Reading knowledge of Latin or any other approved language, as demonstrated either by satisfactory scores on the Educational Testing Service examinations for that language, or the completion of two semesters of graduate reading courses in the language chosen with a grade of B- or higher.
Click here to download the Spanish PhD application checklist
Fees payable by check, money order or online (Credit Card) with application
- National Graduate
- Total cost, $75.00
- Payable to University of Houston
- International Graduate Student
- Total cost, $150.00
- Payable to University of Houston
Priority and International deadline November 1st
Domestic deadline December 1st
Priority and International deadline May 15th
Domestic deadline June 15th
For applications and advisement, please write, call, or e-mail:
Dr. Paola Arboleda-Ríos, Interim Graduate Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Skype interviews will be conducted after application file is reviewed.