Minimum requirements for unconditional admission to the Ph.D. in Creative Writing in Spanish
- A completed M.A. (in Spanish) or an M.F.A. degree
- Completed online application through CollegeNet [all required documents are to be directly uploaded to your account during the application process. Please prepare them beforehand. Once admitted, official individual mark sheets in certain countries, transcripts, and degree certificates must be sent directly to the Graduate school and to the Graduate Admissions Advisor in Hispanic Studies at the addresses included below]
- Three letters of recommendation from the applicant’s professors detailing the potential of the applicant at the Ph.D. level (sent directly by recommenders via CollegeNet)
- A statement of personal poetics in Spanish (between 1000 and 1500 words) (see this link to find the guidelines you must follow for writing your statem).
- Creative writing sample in Spanish (15 pages)
- Academic writing sample in Spanish (15 pages)
- A short essay on the relationship between writing and community in Spanish (between 1500 and 2000 words)
- Acceptable scores on the General Aptitude section of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Official transcripts: Once admitted, two sets of official transcripts reflecting an awarded degree must be sent in sealed envelopes to the following addresses:
- One set of official transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to the University of Houston Graduate School (102 E. Cullen Building Houston, Texas 77204-2012).
- The second set of official transcripts must be sent to the Hispanic Studies Graduate Admissions Advisor (3553 Cullen Boulevard Room 416 Houston, TX 77204-3062) Transcripts that are not in English must be sent along with an official translation made by a certified interpreter.
Transcripts that are not in English must be sent along with an official translation made by a certified interpreter.
- Please see the Graduate School guidelines for transcripts and diploma verification
Additional Requirements for International Students
- Certified copy of diploma: besides official transcripts and their translation, international students must send a copy of their graduation diploma. If the document is not in English, an official translation made by a certified interpreter must be attached. The diploma must be sent to the University of Houston Graduate School (102 E. Cullen Building Houston, Texas 77204-2012).
- TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language: A score of at least 79 on the iBT test (international students only, unless they have earned a college degree from an American university). Students must score at least 25 points on the Speaking Section to be considered for teaching and research assistantships.
For information on the GRE and the TOEFL visit the Educational Testing Service web site. (UH Code: 6870)
IMPORTANT: ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETE BY DECEMBER 1ST (INCLUDING TRANSCRIPTS AND EXAM RESULTS GRE, TOEFL) IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR FUNDING. INCOMPLETE DOSSIERS WILL NOT COMPETE FOR SCHOLARSHIPS.
Once admitted to the program
- No course in which a grade below B- (2.67) is received may count towards Ph.D. degree.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 (B) for all graduate courses attempted is required for a graduate degree; failure to maintain this average will result in a warning, probation, or suspension.
- Qualifying written and oral examinations are required to obtain admission to candidacy.
- The student must develop a creative writing dissertation with a substantial theoretical analysis, which can be considered to be original and of significance to the field, in order to receive a Ph.D. degree in Hispanic Studies with a specialization in Creative Writing in Spanish
- Language requirement: Reading knowledge of one language in addition to Spanish and English is required. It may be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- Four college semesters at the undergraduate level (or equivalent proficiency as demonstrated by testing) in another Romance language.
- Reading knowledge of Latin or any other approved language, as demonstrated either by satisfactory scores on the Educational Testing Service examinations for that language, or the completion of two semesters of graduate reading courses in the language chosen with a grade of B- or higher.
Fees payable by check, money order or online (credit card) with application.
- National Graduate
- Total cost $75.00
- Payable to University of Houston
- International Graduate Student
- Total cost, $150.00
Payable to University of Houston
- The Spanish PhD Program only has admissions for the Fall semester.
- All documents and information must be uploaded through CollegeNet and/or sent to the University of Houston by December 1st.
For applications and advisement, please write, call, or e-mail: