Any incoming freshman, college transfer student, international student, or current UH student with an overall GPA of 2.00 interested in majoring in Sociology must apply first as a Sociology pre-major.
After completion of SOC 1300 and SOC 3300 or SOC 3400 with a minimum grade of C in each course, a student may petition the Department of Sociology to declare a major in Sociology. Students must earn a minimum 2.00 grade point average in all courses in the major (required or elective) attempted at this university.
Students who choose to major in Sociology must also meet the university core requirements and the college core requirements for a Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree.
Requirements For Sociology Majors
- 3 Hours-Soc 1300 Introduction to Sociology
- 3 Hours -Soc 3300 Introduction to Sociological Theory
- 4 Hours - Soc 3400 Introduction to Social Statistics
- 4 Hours- Soc 3401 Introduction to Sociological Research
- 18 Hours- Advanced Sociology (Courses At The 3000 level)
SOC 4383 AND SOC 4394 (INTERNSHIP) ARE OPTIONS. YOU MUST QUALIFY FOR SOC 4394
Requirements for Sociology Minors
- Sociology 1300
- Sociology Advanced (3000 or 4000 level) 12 HOURS (4 COURSES)
- Sociology Course Any Level ( 2000, 3000, 4000)
- 9 HOURS MUST BE TAKEN IN RESIDENCE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON. SIX OF THAT MUST BE ADVANCED COURSE WORK.
- A MINIMUM 2.0 G.P.A. IS ALSO REQUIRED FOR THE MINOR.