Skip to main content

Graduate Certificate

The Hobby School of Public Affairs (HSPA) and the Master of Public Administration Program (MPA) offer a Graduate Certificate in Public Policy and Public Administration.

The Graduate Certificate in Public Policy and Public Administration is a twelve (12) credit post-baccalaureate specialization within the Master of Public Policy (MPP) and Master of Public Administration (MPA) degrees, offered by the MPA Program in collaboration with the MPP Program.

This certificate program is designed to be completed in two semesters. The expectation is that most students would take two courses in the fall and two courses in the spring. Certificate-seeking students will be required to complete the certificate in two years. 

MPP/MPA Students

It is open to MPP and MPA students interested in pursuing more specialized knowledge outside their field of study (i.e., public policy or public administration), and working professionals wishing to enhance an administrative career in either public policy or public administration.

MPP/MPA students who wish to earn this certificate need to apply for this certificate, in addition to their MPP/MPA degree, if their selected specialization is Public Policy (for MPA students) or Public Administration (for MPP students). Current MPP/MPA students who wish to earn this certificate must complete the certificate requirements prior to graduation from the MPP/MPA programs. In addition, the certificate will be designated on the academic transcripts of the students in accordance with UH academic policies.

MPP/MPA Students will be required to complete two POLC (MPP) courses and two PUBL (MPA) courses from an approved list for a total of four courses with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to earn this certificate.