Larry Kelley is a Professor of Advertising at the Jack J. Valenti School of Communication. He has been in the advertising industry as a practitioner for over 25 years. Professor Kelley most recently was Executive Vice President, Chief Planning Officer of FKM, where he was responsible for media, research, account planning and interactive departments of this $250 million dollar gross billing agency. Prior to joining FKM, he served in senior management roles for BBDO, Bozell & Jacobs and the Bloom Agency.
Professor Kelley has been recognized as an industry leader, including winning four EFFIES awards for advertising effectiveness as well as an Addy for creativity. He is widely quoted in the industry trade publications such as ADWEEK, Advertising Age and Media Week. He currently is on the board of the Houston Advertising Federation and the American Association of Advertising Agencies.
Professor Kelley has authored or co-authored seven books. Last year, cume sales for his textbooks passed 250,000 units sold. Professor Kelley's textbooks published by M.E. Sharpe include: Advertising Media Planning: A Brand Management Approach, Advertising Media Workbook and Sourcebook, Advertising Account Planning: A Practical Approach, Advertising Management, Advertising Management Casebookand Advertising & Public Relations Research. Advertising Media Planning and Advertising Account Planning are the top sellers in the field, as is Advertising and Public Relations Research. They have been adopted by over 75 college/university programs including programs in Brazil and Korea.
Professor Kelley is the advisor to the American Advertising Federation's student chapter at the University of Houston and the organization's National Student Advertising Competition team.Close
- Masters of Arts in Advertising from the University of Texas at Austin
- Bachelor of Science in Journalism from the University of Kansas
- Comm 4360 Advertising Media Planning
- Comm 4366 Advertising Account Planning
- Comm 4361 Advertising National Campaigns
- Comm 4363 Advertising Local Campaigns
- “Inside the Judges Minds: A Content Analytic Test of Award Winning Advertisng”, by Hojoon Choi and Larry Kelley; accepted by American Academy of Advertising Conference, March 2016
- “Advertising Media Planning: A Brand Management Approach by Kelley and Jugenheimer, published by M.E.Sharpe 4th edition, 2015
- “Advertising Media Workbook and Sourcebook” by Kelley and Jugenheimer, published by M. E. Sharpe 4th edtion, 2015
- “Advertising Account Planning: A IMC Campaign Approach by Kelley and Jugenheimer, published by M.E. Sharpe September 2015 3rd edtion
- “Advertising Account Planning: A Practical Approach” by Kelley and Jugenheimer, published by M.E. Sharpe 2006
- “Advertising and Public Relations Research” by Jugenheimer, Bradley, Kelley and Hudson, published by M.E. Sharpe 2010 (2nd edition published in 2013)
- “Advertising Management” by Jugenheimer and Kelley, published by M.E. Sharpe,, 2009
- “Cases in Advertising Management” by Kelley and Jugenheimer, published by M.E. Sharpe, 2009
- AAF 10th District Educator of the Year
- 2016 Jack. J. Valenti Impact Teaching Awards
- 2014 AAF District 10 Educator of the Year
- 2014 University of Houston Alumni teaching award
- 2013 University of Houston CLASS Finalist for teaching award
- Winner of four EFFIES awards for advertising effectiveness and an Addy for creativity
- Houston Advertising Federation board member
- American Association of Advertising Agencies board member
The following are some highlighted student awards that Professor Kelley has directed:
- District 10 National Student Advertising Competition 1st Place 2016
- District 10 National Student Advertising Competition 2nd place, 2015
- District 10 National Student Advertising Competition winner 2013. Finished 10th in U.S.
- District 10 National Student Advertising Competition 2nd Place, 2011
- District 10 National Student Advertising Competition winner 2010 Finished 18th in U.S.
- District 10 Student Addy Award Winner 2009 to 2015, 30 student awards. One silver national award.
- Texas Librarian Marketing Award, Gold 2009