THE HIVE: The Laverne Cox Podcast Discussion
Friday, November 19, 2021
12:00 pm -
Join us as we discuss episodes from the Laverne Cox Podcast! Below are the episodes we recommend listening to. The Laverne Cox podcast is streaming on Spotify, Apple, iHeartRadio, & Audible. Feel free to listen to other episodes and bring any thoughts you have to our discussion!
- Moving Beyond the Gender Binary with Alok Vaid-Menon
- Alok and Laverne discuss what it means to live in the world as a person who does not fit in the male-female binary
- Fatphobia and Diet Culture with Virgie Tovar
- Writer, fat activist, and podcast host Virgie Tovar teaches about the roots of fatphobia and many pitfalls of diet culture.
- Ending Violence Towards Trans People with Dr. Karen Franklin
- CONTENT WARNING: This episode discusses targeted violence and may be triggering for some, particularly those in the LGBTQ+ community. Listener discretion is advised.
- Pushing Back Against Anti-Trans Media & Policies with Chase Strangio
- This episode is about addressing misinformation, educating, and correcting the record. Right wing media has gone largely unchecked making false claims, distorting statistics, and outright lying primarily about gender-affirming care for trans kids and trans women and girls in sports. The mean-spirited outcry has led to legislators quoting this media and bills becoming very real laws intended to extinguish transgender people. 2021 has seen the highest number of state bills presented and passed in the last 10 years. But the danger of these bills isn’t just for transgender people. These laws potentially affect the privacy and bodily autonomy of all kids, especially girls.