Given the national conversations that are emerging from the Black Lives Matter Movement, on June 9, 2020, Dean Oliver created the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Task Force to address implicit bias among faculty, staff and students by:
- Ensuring coursework and the underlying curriculum prepare students to understand and address systemic racism in their academic and professional lives.
- Cultivating and supporting a racially and ethnically diverse community of faculty, staff and students within the UH CoAD.
- Developing and supporting just, inclusive, and equitable modes of professional practice in underserved and marginalized communities.
Toward that end, through facilitated “dialogue” among students, alumni, faculty search chairs and Third Ward community representatives (and anticipating the expansion of the dialogue to include all CoAD faculty, staff and students), the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Task Force is examining:
- Our shared understanding, as a college community, of how a diverse, equitable and inclusive community is defined, what it looks like, and how it sustainably operates.
- Processes to ensure that UH CoAD becomes a model for leadership in the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive community.
Further, the DEI Task Force will examine how we, as a college within the university, can help achieve meaningful, long-term structural change and accountability in service of the following:
- a diverse faculty representative of our diverse student body,
- pay equity for faculty and staff,
- the inclusion and equitable treatment of students by an unbiased faculty and staff,
- an inclusive curriculum that recognizes and values a multi-cultural world,
- the development, recruitment, retention and professional placement of African-American students,
- mitigation of the financial pressures on students less able to afford its associated costs,
- the evolution of the university as an effective stakeholder in the equitable development of a healthy Third Ward community
- Sheryl Tucker de Vazquez (Faculty) - Chair
- Javier Guerrero (Undergraduate Student)
- Michael Gonzales (Faculty)
- Trang Phan (Assistant Dean)
- Susan Rogers (Faculty)
- Courtney Warren-Williams (Graduate Student)
- Adam Wells (Faculty)
Task Force Updates
Town Hall Events (updated as events occur)College Town Hall with Students - July 14, 2020
Open Letter from Students to UHCOAD
- From President Renu Khator - June 1, 2020
- From President Renu Khator - June 8, 2020
- From President Renu Khator - June 10, 2020
- From Dean Patricia Belton Oliver, FAIA, DPACSA
Statements for National and Local Architecture and Design Organizations
- Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA)
- The American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- The American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS)
- Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA)
- National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB)
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB)
- National Organization of Minority Architects (NOMA)
- AIAH, ArCH, and Houston NOMA