Space Heater Safety on Campus

During this chilly holiday season, the Fire Marshal�s Office wants to remind the campus community that the use of space heaters is prohibited. That risk was compounded for a number of reasons including:

� Some heaters being used that do not meet the existing University guidelines
� The use of extension cords for permanent wiring
� The overloading of circuits due to the high amperage necessary to start-up the devices
� Blown circuits and temperature control issues required a response by various staff members that might be better utilized elsewhere and inefficient appliances added to the already soaring utility costs.

If temperature extremes are an issue in your offices, please call Customer Service at FIXIT (3-4948) for assistance via Utility Services. Should you need assistance with issues related to fire and life safety, please call Bob Bowden at extension X35866.

We continue to stand ready to work with you and your staff concerning this policy so please contact us if you have any questions, concerns, or to discuss the issue in more detail.