Research Projects - Radar and Shallow Geophysical Studies
- Ground-penetrating Radar (GPR) is recognized as one of the fundamental tools for probing
subsurface geology. We have used GPR soundings and surface and subsurface backscatter
characteristics of the P- and L-band polarimetric airborne synthetic aperture radar (AIRSAR)
data to resolve different exposed and buried lava flows in Mars analog environment at Craters
of the Moon (COM) in Idaho.
- Currently we are using GPR to determine the 3-D facies geometry and facies heterogeneity of
Albian rudist communities of the Edwards Formation, Fredericksburg Group, in Central and
South-Central Texas. This work holds potential for hydrocarbon exploration in shallow realms
and for hydrological applications in carbonate terrains.
- We are using radar altimetry and optical remote sensing techniques to estimate and find
causes of water level fluctuations in Caspian Sea.
- Khan, S.D., Heggy, E., Fernandez, J. "Mapping exposed and buried lava flows using synthetic
aperture radar and ground-penetrating radar in Craters of the Moon lava field." Geophysics, 72(6),
- Ozyavas, A., Khan, S. D. 2008. "Assessment of recent short-term water level fluctuations in
Caspian Sea using Topex/Poseidon." IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 5(4), in press.
- Ozyavas, A., and Khan, S. D., 2008. "The Assesment of Variabilities in the Climatic Regime
Over the Caspian Sea Level Fluctuations from Topex/Poseidon." GSA Meeting to be held in October
- Khan, S. D., Heggy, E, and Fernandez, J. "Mapping exposed and buried lava flows using Synthetic
Aperture and Ground-Penetrating Radar in Craters of the Moon lava field." Geological Society of America
Abstracts with Programs, 39(6), 123.
- Mukherjee, D., Heggy, E., Khan, S. D., Sullivan, C. E., 2007. "Ground-penetrating radar and
dielectric characterization of shallow reservoir analogs in Central Texas carbonates." Geological
Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 39(6), 470.
- Mukherjee, D., Khan, S. D., Sullivan. C. E., Integration of GPR, GPS, 2006. "Remote Sensing
and Geochemistry for Shallow Reservoir Studies in Central and South-Central Texas." AAPG annual
- Fernandez, J., 2006. "Identifying Subsurface Stratigraphy with AIRSAR and Ground Penetrating
Radar in Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho." M.S. Thesis, University of Houston.