- Define weathering, mass wasting, and erosion.
- Define mechanical weathering and explain the roles of frost wedging,
unloading, thermal expansion, and organic activity.
- Define chemical weathering and explain dissolution, oxidation, hydrolysis,
and alterations caused by chemical weathering.
- List and explain the factors that control the rate of weathering.
- Define soil and describe the factors that control soil formation.
- Describe the soil profile and list its horizons.
Many of our "favorite" landscapes are the result of
weathering plus transportation of the weathered material - erosion. The
brief field trip referenced in the Chapter Heading takes you to Enchanted
Rock, near Fredericksburg, Texas, a favorite last stop on the University
of Houston Physical Geology Field Trip.
- Expansive Soils
Many of you live on the infamousblack gumbo which is an expansive soil.
- Properties of Soils
Virtual Field Trip
|E-mail the ClassListserv|Read the ClassListserv|
|Textbook Home Page
|Glossary of Geologic Terms|Search These Pages|
|Other Courses|Resources|Grade Book|
Copyright by John C. Butler, July 29, 1995