Daniel Dye, Son of Vincent Dye
Daniel Dye - born July 31, 1747 in Middlesex County, New Jersey and died January 24, 1825 in Monroe County, Ohio. He married Abigail Hutchinson on March 24, 1773 in New Jersey.
Sometime around 1782 Daniel and his family, as well as his parents and others in the family moved to Prince William County, Virginia. His Uncle John Dye (Ezekiel's brother) had moved his family to Prince William County, Virginia around 1776. The extent to which these two families of Dye's interacted in Virginia is unknown and being researched. Daniel's parents, his sister Catherine and brothers Dusaway and John all died within a two year period -- 1796-1797.
In 1813 he became the first permanent white settler in Monroe County, Ohio (red dot on the map below). Note that Monroe County is south of the Old Federal Road (running from Wheeling to St. Claresville to Zanesville) and within about 20 miles of Renrock, Ohio where Ezekiel Dye settled around 1806.
From the History of Perry Township, Monroe County, Ohio, 1813:
"Jesse Fleming built the first cabin in 1800 but it was not until 1812 that permanent settlements were made. In that year, Daniel Dye, Sr. and his sons, Daniel, Vincent, David, Rueben, Enoch and John R. settled about one and one-half miles Southeast of Antioch. It was known as "Dye's Settlement" (as was Exekiel's Community in Renrock, Ohio) for many years. .... John R. Dye and Daniel Dye, Jr. were the first persons to be married in Perry Township but the names of their wives is unknown. ... The first sermon was preached at the home of Daniel Dye, a Baptist minister. The Baptists built the first church, known as the Unity Baptist Church. ... The first Sabbath school in Perry Township was organized in 1827 by Daniel Dye, Jr. at his own home near the Unity Church."
Daniel and Abagail Dye had at least 6 sons and 1 daughter:
Note that Daniel and his family moved into Monroe County a few years after John Dye and his family moved into Washington County, Ohio.
- Vincent Dye, born in 1774 in New Jersey
- Daniel Dye, Jr, born in 1776 in New Jersey
- William, born in 1778 (did not move to Ohio? - does not appear in the History of Perry Township)
- David Dye, born in 1780
- Elizabeth Dye was born on July 18, 1782 in Prince William County, Virginia. She married her first cousin, James Dye, son of John Dye, brother of Daniel Dye [Allen Farquhar supplied information on Daniel's daughter Elizabeth]
- Rueben Dye, born in 1784
- Enoch Dye. born in 1787 and married Mary Ann Ridgeway on April 9, 1812 in Washington County (Ohio) - now Monroe County.
- John R. Dye, born June 2, 1791 in Virginia and died October 27, 1859 in Washington County, Ohio. He married Priscella Ridgeway (on December 8, 1811 - where?) who was born in 1793 in Maryland and died in 1868. (Were Mary Ann and Priscella Ridgeway related?) They had at least one son, James Irvine Dye.
Use the RETURN arrow on your browser to return to where you requested this link
Return to the Dye Lineage