Art and Money
Christo and Jeanne-Claude
More on Boggs
At least back in 2007 he was in jail for methamphetamine possession (not for counterfeiting!)
Slum artist J.R. wins TED award
J.R.’s Home Page
In November 2004 the painting was purchased by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City (Met) for an undisclosed sum, reported to be in excess of 45 million USD, the most expensive purchase ever by the museum. Approx 8 by 11 inches.
White Center (Yellow, Pink and Lavender on Rose)
• Painted by Mark Rothko (1903-70).
• Sold at auction in 2007, for $72.8 million.
• Seller: David Rockefeller. Buyer: Qatar Royal family.
Rotkho being auctioned at Christie’s (Video)
BIDDING ON Edvard Munch’s Girls on a Bridge at Sotheby’s (Video)
Edward Hopper Chair Car $14 million
Klimt Adele Bloch Bauer S$135 million to Ronald Lauder in 2006
Top 20 Sales Records
The Top 10
(1) No. 5, 1948
(1948) By Jackson Pollock. ($140 million)
(2) Woman III (1953) By Willem de Kooning. ($137.5 million)
(3) Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I (1907) By Gustav Klimt. ($135 million)
(4) Nude, Green Leaves and Bust (1932) by Pablo Picasso ($106.5 million)
(5) Garçon à la Pipe (1905) By Pablo Picasso. ($104.2 million)
(6) Eight Elvises (1963) By Andy Warhol. ($100 million)
(7) Dora Maar with Cat (1941) By Pablo Picasso. ($95.2 million)
(8) Adele Bloch-bauer II (1912) By Gustav Klimt. ($87.9 million)
(9) Triptych (1976) By Francis Bacon. ($86.3 million)
(10) Portrait of Dr. Gachet (1890) By Vincent Van Gogh. ($82.5 million)
• For details of these works, see Top 10 Most Expensive Paintings.
Sotheby’s Auction Prices
Sixteen Jackies was sold to Andrew Fabricant of the Richard Gray gallery for $15,696,000 (including commission).
Highest Auction Prices for Artists
Lichtenstein’s Two Apples $2,210,500