A free eight-week course on mindfulness meditation sponsored by the UH Wellness Center
Would you like learn the techniques, benefits, and challenges of mindfulness that can lead to a happier, less stressful life?
The UH Wellness Center is offering a free eight-week course on mindfulness meditation offering a structured approach to developing mindfulness in everyday life. In this course you will learn to:
- Recognize when you’re operating on autopilot
- Explore the mind-body connection
- Develop the skill of directing attention
- Integrate mindfulness into everyday living
- Relate differently to your thoughts
- Work mindfully with difficulties in life
- Practice kindness for yourself and others
- Develop and maintain a consistent daily mindfulness practice
|When||Every Tuesday, February 27 through April 24, 12 noon to 1:15 pm|
|Where||UH Wellness Center classroom|
|Who||Open to all UH students, staff, and faculty|
|Textbook||Mindfulness: Finding Peace in a Frantic World
by Penman and Williams (get the ebook on Amazon for less than $10)
|Prerequisites||None. Beginners welcome!|
What is mindfulness?
Mindfulness is simply the natural human ability to pay attention to your current experience as it is happening. It is an innate skill that can be strengthened with practice.
What is mindfulness good for?
Mindfulness has been proven effective by 30 years of scientific research to improve physical health, emotional well-being, cognitive flexibility, and the ability to relate to self and others with kindness, acceptance and compassion.
What does the course include?
- Eight weeks of in-depth study and practice
- Weekly meditation sessions with your class
- In-class discussion and feedback
- Readings from the book and other resources
- Daily practice at home with audio guidance
- Track your progress with worksheets and journaling
What will you learn?
- Core practices include breath meditation, mindful eating, body scans, walking meditation, mindful movement, kindness practice, noting and labeling, open awareness, and habit releasers designed to get you out of your everyday routine
- Awareness of our thoughts, feelings, sensations, perceptions
- Micro-meditations you can use in everyday life
Enrollment is limited – If the class is full, join the waitlist.
Too busy to take the class?
Come to our free drop-in mindfulness sessions every Thursday at 12 noon in the UH Wellness Center.