World AIDS Week is held each year at UH in conjunction with World AIDS Day. World AIDS Day is a worldwide event designed to bring awareness to the fight against HIV. Designed to honor those individuals living with HIV and to memorialize those who have died, World AIDS Day is held annually on December 1. In an effort to bring awareness to college campuses and student life, many universities honor the day through education and advocacy. Starting in 2017, the University of Houston expanded this to include events throughout the week.
By attending World AIDS Week, participants will be able to:
- Understand how HIV/AIDS have impacted society from a local to global level.
- Recognize how safe sex practices can be integrated into their lives.
- Identify campus and community health resources, STI testing, and how to access them.
The 2018 World AIDS Week will take place from Monday, November 26th to Friday, November 30th. Our schedule of events is below!
Monday, November 26th
HealthySexual: A Comprehensive Sexual Health Dialogue
11:30 am to 1:00 pm, UH Wellness Classroom
Come join SMART Cougars for an interactive workshop on sexual health! Have questions about STIS, HIV, and prevention options? We’ve got the answers! Free lunch is available, but RSVPS are required ahead of time by emailing: email@example.com
Tuesday, November 27th
The Art of Ending Stigma: Fighting AIDS with Awareness and Action
11:00 am to 1:00 pm, Student Center South Entrance
The Center for Diversity and Inclusion will feature local Houston artist Ronnie Queenan paintings inspired by his own experience with AIDS. During this tabling event, guest will learn more about AIDS through educational activities and will receive a ribbon that illustrates solidarity for those faced with the disease.
Wednesday, November 28th
Red Ribbon Handout at Relaxation Station
11:30 am to 1:00 pm, Student Center Circle Drive
Come visit UH Wellness at Relaxation Station – a pop up space to relax in-between classes – to get your red ribbon and resources on sexual health!
Thursday, November 29th
World AIDS Day Display & Resource Fair
11:00 am to 1:00 pm, Butler Plaza
Join us for our annual display showing how many people are living with HIV/AIDS. Additionally, off-campus and on-campus partners will come together to provide the UH community with the opportunity to learn about sexual health and HIV/AIDS resources. Come get free giveaways and a t-shirt! Sponsored by UH Wellness.
Friday, November 30th
“I am Life” by The TRUTH Project
7:30 pm at Student Center Theater; doors open at 7:00 pm
The LGBTQ Resource Center will be hosting the T.R.U.T.H. Project for a World AIDS Day experience focused on HIV stigma, prevention and education as explored through spoken word, movement, and song. An often challenging reality will be explored through a multidisciplinary social art experience that will address HIV and stigma through the experiences of women. The space will place both artist and attendees in a position to look each other directly in the eyes and ask the question, "On this journey, how will you define life?"
On-Campus HIV Testing
HIV testing is avaliable year-round at two locations:
- SMART Cougars (located in UH Wellness - CRWC 1038): Open during normal business hours, free and confidential testing is avaliable for students year-round. Walk-ins are welcome, but you can also make appointments by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The SMART Cougars program will also be avaliable on-site at our World AIDS Day Resource Fair on Thursday, November 29th and is first-come, first-serve.
- Student Health Center (Health and Biomedical Sciences Building 2): Free and confidential HIV testing is avaliable by appointment to UH students, faculty, and staff on Friday, November 30th. Appointments will include a screening test and pre-counseling consultation with aprovider. Contact the UH Student Health Center at 713-743-5151 to schedule your appointment today!