STAC co Hertford
NOTA BENE - These case names are approximate and very likely to be changed.
B Bill of Complaint Dr Demurrer A Answer Rn Replication Rr Rejoinder C Commission I Interrogatories D Deposition
Adams v Rotheram
- STAC 5/A26/38 - B A Dr I - 35 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Edward Adams v Nicholas Retheram, George Graveley, Luke Norton et al
- STAC 5/A46/39 - I D - 35 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Edward Adams v John Nicholson
- STAC 5/A39/17 - I D - 36 Eliz - Bedfordshire - Edward Adams v Edward Grawly
- Deponents Nicholas Rotharam of Somers co Bedford, Edward Ames of Laighton co Bedford gent.
- BL MSS La. 67/7. A case concerning the Parsonage of Offeley, Hertfordshire, to be heard in the Star-Chamber; Edward Adams plaintiff, George Gravely, &c. defendants, 1591.
- see also STAC Adam
Alexander v Gonner
- STAC 5/A4/19 - B A - Hil 24 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Richard Alexander v George Gonner, John Over, John Runwell James Wood, Edward Weaden John Farrowe, George Clarke
- Richard Alexander of Ricmansworth co Hertford gent. Land in Rickmansworth.
- STAC 7/17/5 - - - Hertfordshire - Richard Alexander v George Gonner et al
- see also STAC Alexander
Altham v Browne and Ward
- STAC 5/A7/25 - I D - 21 Eliz - Essex, Hertfordshire - James Altham v Thomas Browne, Edmund Ward, Thomas Ward et al
- Interrogatories to be mynistered unto Robert Bugberd parson off don in the Co of Essex on the behalf of James Altham Compl. Item whether did you by Alledgynge Scripture or Anye other meanes perswade wythe Edmond Ward that he ought nott to Sware Agaynst his brother Francis Ward thowhe ytt wer in matter of Trowthe. Two of the depositions are from Hertfordshire.
- STAC 5/A7/11 - I D - 21 Eliz - Essex - James Altham v Francis Ward, James Quarles et al
- John Cote’s will and the lease of Latten mill. Two deponents are from Essex.
- see also STAC Altham
Astry v Pearles
- STAC 5/A4/23 - B A - Hil 20 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Edward Astrey v Thomas Paris, John Pearles
- Edward Astrey of Weston co Bucks gent. land in the manor of Hichen co Hartford [Hitchen Hertfordshire].
- STAC 5/A43/15 - I D - 20 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Edward Astry v Thomas Parys, John Pearles
- STAC 5/A1/22 - Rn - 19 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Edward Astry v Thomas Parys, John Pearles
- see also STAC Astry
Bowyer v Andrews
- STAC 5/B11/9 - I D - 27 Eliz - Hertfordshire - John Bowyer v John Andrew, Edward Hourst, William Webb et al
- STAC 7/10/34 - - - Hertfordshire - John Bowyer v John Andrewes, Edward Hurst, Thomas Fayle, Thomas Gravley et al
- TNA Note: Hitchin: Right of way through a meadow.
- see also STAC Bowyer
Burgoyn v Burgoyn
- STAC 5/B33/9 - B Dr - 33 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Thomas Burgoyn v George Burgoyn, John Burgoyn
- Thomas Burgoyn of Weston, Herts. Estate of George Burgoyn late of Quixwoode, Herts, in Herts & Cambs. Marriage of the complt to Katherine daughter of Lord Chidwick Paulet of Wade, Hants.(dk)
- see also STAC Burgoyne
Colbourne v Chambers
- STAC 5/C14/2 - B A - 39 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Isabel Colburne v Fortune Chambers, William Mallory et al
- Bill of Isabel Colburne servant to Stephen Skipwith of Berkway Hartf gent. Chancery case against Fortune Chambers. Armed riot.
- STAC 5/C40/36 - I D - 39 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Isabel Colborne v Fortune Chambers, Robert Ward et al
- see also STAC Colbourne
Combes v Dell
- STAC 5/C6/13 - B A - 38 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Francis Combes v John Dell et uxor, Mary Dawes
- Francis Combes, son, heir & executor of Richard Combes decd. Forcible entry into a tenement in Hemel Hempsteed, Herts & theft of goods of Richard Combes and evidences of the complts inheritance from a chest.(dk)
- see also STAC Combes
Conningsby v Hervy
- STAC 5/C63/25 - B - - Hertfordshire - Henry Conyngesbye v John Lowe, Thomas Clarke et al
- STAC 5/C54/5 - B A Rn - 3 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Henry Conysby v John Harvey Sr, John Harvey Jr, Thomas Harvye et al
- STAC 5/C80/3 - Rn - - Hertfordshire - Henry Connysby v John Hervy, Griffith Pygott
- Hertfordshire. Henry Connysby v John Hervy, Gryffyth Pyggott. Taking of Partridges at night using lowbells, under pretence of taking Larks.(dk)
- STAC 5/C38/1 - I D - 4 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Henry Comingesbye v John Johnson, Thomas Hawbie
- STAC 5/C39/16 - I D - 4 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Henry Conningsbye v John Harvey et al
- see also STAC Conningsby
Copwood v Nicholl
- STAC 5/C64/5 - B Dr - 25 Eliz - Hertfordshire - George Copwood v William Nicholl, Isabel Wryte
- George Copwoode, citizen & draper of London, son of Richard Copwoode of Totteridge, Herts decd & Margaret his wife, formerly Margaret Bassett daughter of Sir William Bassett. Title to lands in Totteridge.(dk)
- see also STAC Copwood
Dobinson v Brickett
- STAC 5/D22/9 - B A R R C I D - 4 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Thomas Dobinson v Robert Breket, Richard Nelson, Henry Barr et al
- STAC 5/D6/21 - I D - 4 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Thomas Dobinson v Robert Bryckett et al
- Interr First whether you or any of you know that Thomas Dobinson clerk is lawful parson of the parish of Barley in the County of Hertford, yea or no.
- see also STAC Dobinson
Dowman v Parker
- STAC 5/D8/31 - B A Rr Rn - 22 Eliz - Hertfordshire - James Dowman v John Parker
- STAC 5/D15/26 - I D - 22 Eliz - Hertfordshire - James Dowman v John Parker Sr
- STAC 5/D6/6 - I D - 23 Eliz - Hertfordshire - James Dowman v John Parker Sr
- Parishes of Bygrave and Newnham co Hertford
- see also STAC Dowman
Felton v Adcock
- STAC 5/F22/30 - B A - 16 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Joane Felton v John Andrewe, William Adcock.
- Johane Felton of Stanforde Ryvers in co Essex wydow, late the wife of Thomas Felton of Stanford esquire deceased. In re closes in Kelshull in co Harts.
- STAC 5/F31/15 - Rn - - Hertfordshire - Joan Felton v William Adcock et al
- STAC 5/F4/17 - I D - 16 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Joan Felton v William Adococke, John Andrewe et al
- see also STAC Felton
Ferrers v Seale
- STAC 5/F3/23 - B A - 14 Eliz - Hertfordshire - George Ferrers et uxor v Thomas Seale, Robert Seale, Rowland Carrewe, Francis Warner
- George Ferrers of the Burghe of St Albans esquire and Margaret his wife late the widow of John Preston alias Honyball gent deceased).
- STAC 7/12/6 - - - Kent - George Ferrers et Margaret uxor v Thomas Seale, Robert Seale, Francis Warner
- TNA Note: Kidnapping plaintiff's daughter.
- STAC 5/F4/36 - I D - 15 Eliz - Hertfordshire or Kent - George Ferrys et uxor v Thomas Seale et al
- see also STAC Ferrers
Foster v Weekes
- STAC 5/F7/10 - B A C I D - 44 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Thomas Foster v David Meere, Thomas Weekes Sr et al
- STAC 7/12/13 - - - Hertfordshire - Thomas Foster, v David La Mere, Thomas Weekes Sr, Thomas Weekes Jr, William Weekes, John Carter
- TNA Note: Rickmansworth: Forcible entry and damage, kidnapping, conspiracy to defraud etc.
- STAC 5/F25/35 - I D - - Hertfordshire - Thomas Forster v John Harris, William Weekes et al
- STAC 5/F21/35 - I D - 44 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Thomas Forster v John Carter, Thomas Wecks
- see also STAC Foster Forster
Frowicke v Gates
- STAC 5/F11/12 - B A - 29 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Henry Frowicke, William Dobbes v Thomas Gates, William Heyes et al
- Henry Frowycke of London gent and Roberte Dabbes of Cheshunte in the co of Harteford yeoman.
- see also STAC Frowick
Heydon v Astwyck
- STAC 5/H53/35 - B A Rn Rr - - Hertfordshire - Ralph Haden, James Bonner, Margaret Bonner v John Astwyck, William Hunt, et al
- Copyhold land of the manor of the parsonage of Flamstead co Hertfordshire.
- STAC 5/H18/24 - I D - 9 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Ralph Heydon, John Bonner et uxor v John Astwick, John Hawkins et al
- see also STAC Heydon
Hyde v Jennings alias Chenell
- STAC 5/H26/25 - B A - 30 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Hyde v John Jennings, William Bate et al
- STAC 7/12/43 - - - Hertfordshire - Robert Hyde v John Jennynges alias Chenell, Richard Bate, Henry Bonnyck
- TNA Note: Tring: Rights of common.
- STAC 5/H32/32 - Rn - 30 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Hyde v John Chevell, Richard Bate, Henry Bonnycke
- STAC 5/H57/37 - I D - 31 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Hide v John Chenell, Richard Bate
- STAC 5/H51/14 - I D - 31 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Hide v Richard Bate, John Jennings et al
- see also STAC Hyde
Knollys v Coxon
- STAC 7/3/27 - - - Hertfordshire - Margaret Knollys v John Coxon
- TNA Notes: Hatfield etc: Forgery of demise of a messuage and lands.
- see also STAC Knollys
Lord Mayor of London v Thoroughgood
- STAC 5/L46/6 - I D - 35 Eliz - London, Hertfordshire - Lord Mayor and Aldermen of London v John Wilson, George Rotheram et al
- STAC 5/L13/8 - I D - 35 Eliz - London, Hertfordshire - Lord Mayor of London et al v William Thorowgood et al
- STAC 5/L38/26 - Rn - 36 Eliz - London, Hertfordshire - Lord Mayor and Aldermen of London, Thomas Fanshaw v George Rotheram, John Coller et al
- Case Book Report STAC 5/L38/26r
- STAC 5/R43/12 - Decree - 36 Eliz - London, Hertfordshire - Lord Mayor of London (William Roe) et al v William Thorowgood et al
- see also STAC London
Newce v Some
- STAC 5/N1/28 - B A - Hil 24 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Samuel Newce v Stephen Some, William Stone
- STAC 5/N8/18 - I D - 33 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Samuel Newce v Stephen Some, William Stone
- Interrs refer to a lease of the manor of Brickendon Bury, Herts.(dk)
- see also STAC Newce
Onslowe v Chester
- STAC 5/O7/33 - B A Rn Rr - 7 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Fowlke Oneslowe v William Chester, William Lowen, William Martyn.
- Manor of Byshopps Hatfeld als Kings Hatfeld, Herts.(dk)
- Case Book BL Harley MS 2143 fo. 24v. Perjury upon deposition of witnesses not here to be determined except the precedent of the court do warrant the same. Onslow, plaintiff; Chester et al, defendants: the court being moved for the hearing of this cause, being for perjury upon depositions of witnesses and the Lord Dyer, Chief Justice, being of opinion that the said matter was here determinable, the court thereupon ordered that the precedents and orders of the court should be searched and perused and to proceed if they shall warrant the same. Easter 7 Elizabeth (kk)
- see also STAC Onslowe
Partriche v Prior
- STAC 5/P11/13 - I D - 3 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Henry Partryche v John Pryor, Alban Pryor
- STAC 5/P8/15 - I D - 3 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Henry Partriche v John Prior, Albane Prior
- Northall wood in the co of Harteff (Northaw Hertfordshire)
- see also STAC Partridge
Prudden v Thrawle
- STAC 5/P43/20 - B A I D - 2 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Peter Prudden et al v Michell Thrawle, Richard Crawley et al
- Deponents 6 May primo Eliz Henry Colley of Kings Walden co Hertford husbandman aged 32. Thomas Careles of Kings Walden … aged 22. Thomas Sloowe? of Kings Walden tailor aged 24. Henry Boswell of Kings Walden labourer aged 28. John Game of Kings Walden labourer aged 19
- see also STAC Prudden
Skeggs v Shackeley
- STAC 5/S84/16 - B - 20 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Edward Skeggs v Richard Shakerley, Ralph Conysbey et al
- STAC 5/S58/20 - I D - 20 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Edward Skeggs v Richard Shakerly
- STAC 5/S48/33 - I D - 20 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Edward Skeggs v Richard Shakerly
- STAC 7/5/20 - - - Hertfordshire - Edward Skegges v Richard Shackeley
- TNA Note: Barnfield: Assault on plaintiff's servants, etc. Edward Skegges serjeant of the buttery.
- see also STAC Skeggs
Smith v Ashton
- STAC 5/S16/8 - B A C I D - 40 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Adam Smyth v Robert Asheton, John Strangewaies
- STAC 5/S38/29 - Rn - 40 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Adam Smyth v John Strangewaies, Ralph Asheton
- STAC 5/S17/20 - I D - 40 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Adam Smith v Ralph Ashton et al
- Interrs refer to sessions at Buttingforde [?Buntingford]. Deponents from Herts.(dk)
- STAC 5/S68/2 - I D - 40 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Adam Smith v John Strangewaies
- see also STAC Smith, A-E
Smith v Bristow
- STAC 5/S42/29 - I D - 35 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Smith v Charles Baldwyn et al
- STAC 5/S15/27 - I D - 35 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Smith v Nicholas Bristowe Sr, Nicholas Bristowe Jr, John Rayment et al
- STAC 5/S64/16 - B A - 35 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Smith v Nicholas Bristow Sr, Nicholas Bristow Jr, John Rayment et al
- Robt Smyth of Ayot St Lawrence, Herts. Assault in the church yard of Ayott. Concerns revivor of Chancery suit Thomas Clarke v Nicholas Bristoe the elder & Nicholas Bristoe the younger (see C78: 24 Jan 1589).(dk)
- STAC 5/S4/38 - Rn - 35 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Smyth v Nicholas Bristowe et al
- STAC 5/S11/24 - I D - 35 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Smith v Nicholas Bristow Sr et al
- STAC 5/S66/30 - I D - 36 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Smyth v Nicholas Bristow Sr, Nicholas Bristow Jr, Richard Barlye et al
- see also STAC Smith, R
Smith v Reynolds
- STAC 5/S81/3 - B A Rn C I D - 34 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Richard Smyth, Gilbert Ellsam, John Whiskart v Robert Reynolds, Francis Page, Richard Grave et al
- . . on behalfe of themselves and the other inhabitants of Ware, Herts.(dk)
- see also STAC Smith, R
Snagge v Morgan
- STAC 5/S84/14 - Rn - - Hertfordshire - Robert Snagge v Morgan, Andrewes et al
- STAC 5/S60/39 - B - 22 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Snagge v John Morgan, William Smyth et al
- STAC 5/S30/33 - A - 22 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Snagge v John Kytchin
- STAC 5/S1/9 - B A - 23 Eliz - Hertfordshire, London - Robert Snagge v John Morgan, Susan Morgan uxor
- Bill: Robert Snagge of Letchworth co Hart esquire . . . exhibited a Bill in Chancery against John Morgan esq and Susan his wife concerning a recognysance of xxxli . . . Writ of Error . . . Court of the Sheriff of London . . . (perjury by Susan?) . . . John Morgan being then attending in her Majesties Court at White Hawle.
- STAC 5/S29/30 - B - 23 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Snagg v Susan Morgan, John Morgan
- STAC 5/S35/36 - A - 23 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Snagge v John Sleight
- STAC 5/S49/28 - A - 23 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Snagge v Richard Pillesburye
- STAC 5/S41/2 - I D - 23 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Snagge v Richard Pillesbury
- STAC 5/S8/18 - I D - 23 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Snagg v John Kitchen
- STAC 5/S22/7 - I D - 24 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Robert Snagge v John Morgan, John Kytchen et al
- STAC 7/29/39 - - - Hertfordshire - Robert Snagge v John Morgan et al
- see also STAC Snagge
Snow v Tyler
- STAC 5/S29/2 - B A - 19 Eliz - Hertfordshire - William Snow v Edward Hanfeild, Thomas Tiler et al
- William Snowe of Herts. Eviction from copyhold land held of the manor of Berksden, Herts.(dk)
- STAC 5/S84/29 - Rn - - Hertfordshire - William Snowe v Edward Hawsehead, Thomas Tyler et al
- see also STAC Snow
St Albans Corporation v Clark
- STAC 5/S59/18 - B - 39 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Mayor & Burgesses of St Albans v John Clarke Sr, Richard Winstanley et al
- see also STAC St Albans
Walter v Hyde
- STAC 5/W6/25 - B A Rn - Hil 36 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Henry Walter v Edward Hyde, Stephen Wilkinson, John Whelpston
- Henry Walter of Aspeden [Aspenden] co Hertford, dwelling in quiet and peaceable manner in Aspeden, with his wife and many small children
- STAC 5/W72/31 - I D - 36 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Henry Walter v Robert Earle, Thomas Nashe et al
- STAC 5/W35/2 - I D - 36 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Henry Walter v William Sell, Edward Sawyer et al
- STAC 5/W18/37 - I D - 36 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Henry Waiters v Edward Sawyer
- STAC 5/W38/29 - I D - 36 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Henry Walter v Steaven Wilkinson
- STAC 5/W14/10 - I D - 36 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Henry Walters v John Whelston alias Wholphston
- see also STAC Walter
Almoner v ap Nicholas
- STAC 5/A4/30 - B - 32 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Almoner v Griffin ap Nicholas ap Powell, John ap Nicholas alias Griffin ap Edward, Griffith ap John Griffith
- Whereas one Ithell ap Nicholas appell of the parish of Estbarnard co Hartford did . . . drown and desroy himself. felo de se.
- see also STAC Welsh names Almoner
Almoner v Burling
- STAC 7/1/19 - - - Hertfordshire - Almoner (William Byll) v George Burlyng, John Brand, Thomas Parsons
- TNA Note: Furneux-Pelham etc: Goods of Bathazar Burlyng, suicide.
- see also STAC Burling
Almoner v Forster
- STAC 5/A6/31 - I D - 27 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Almoner v Giles Forster alias Cooke, Christopher Brown
- Articles to be ministered unto Gyles Forster alias Cooke and Christofer Browne defs. Imp: whether did you know one John Willoughbye late of Hitchin co Hartford mentioned in the bill of Complaint beinge felo de se, yea or no.
- see also STAC Foster Forster
Almoner v Hinde
- STAC 5/A3/15 - B A - Trin 22 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Almoner v Dorothy Hynde, Dennis Hynde, Edmund Hynde, Nicholas Hynde, William Laurence
- STAC 5/A6/37 - I D - 23 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Almoner v Dorothy Hynd et al
- Questions as to the disease and state of mind of Edmund Hynde of Stapleford co Hertford before his death.
- STAC 5/A26/24 - B - 43 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Almoner v Edward Hynde, William Gostwicke
- STAC 5/A29/4 - I - 2 Eliz - Hertfordshire - Almoner v Dennis Hinde
- see also STAC Hinde
Palmer's cumulative totals of Star Chamber fines preserved in the E159s (rp)
- TNA E159/340 Trinity Term, 1 Elizabeth. Fine paid 2 June 1559
- From William Shotbolt de Yardley, Herts, gent: £10.
- From Thomas Shotbolt de Yardley, yeoman: 20s
- From William Pulter of Hertford, Herts, gent: £10
- TNA E159/342 Michaelmas Term, 3 Elizabeth. Fine paid 20 November 1560
- From Thomas Aprice de ____, Herts, yeoman: £100.
- From Richard Halden de Hornmede, Herts, maltman: £30.
- TNA E159/344 Hilary Term, 5 Elizabeth. Fine paid 10 February, 1562/3
- From Edward Seymor, knight, earl of Hertford, for his divers offences, viz, £15,000: £15,000.
- TNA E159/410 Michaelmas Term, 37-38 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1595
- From John Burr de Barkhamsted, Herts: £10.
- TNA E159/411 Easter and Trinity Terms, 38 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1596
- From Henry Clarke now or lately de Sowell, Herts, gent: 100 marks.
- TNA E159/412 Hilary Term, 39 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1597
- From William Marshe de Chipping Barnett, Herts: £40.
- From John Slattford de Chipping Barnett, Herts: £20.
- From Henry Evans de Chipping Barnett, Herts: £3 13s 4d.
- TNA E159/415 Easter Term, 40 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1598
- From John Kettell de King's Langley, Herts: £10.
- TNA E159/416 Michaelmas Term, 40-41 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1598
- From James Dowman de Newnham, Herts: £10.
- TNA E159/419 Easter Term, 42 Elizabeth. Fines Paid 1600
- From Edmund Poulter de Bradfield, Herts, armiger: £100.
- From John Darlynge de Bradfield, Herts: £20.
- From Stephen Fysher de Bradfield, Herts: 40s.
- From Francis Palmer de Bradfield, Herts: 40s.
- From Henry Marten de Bradfeld, Herts: 20s.
- From George Gull de Bradfield, Herts: 20s.