STAC co Lancaster
NOTA BENE - These case names are approximate and very likely to be changed.
Ambrose v Richardson
- Ambrosse Hall Woodplumpton co Lancaster. STAC 5/A4/36
- STAC 5/A47/11 - B A Rn Rr C I D - 31 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Ambrose v Isabella Heskett, Ann Richardson
- STAC 5/A58/16 - B - Lancashire - Thomas Ambrose v Anne Richardson, William Richardson
- STAC 5/A4/36 - B - 37 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Ambrose v Thomas Richardson et uxor, William Richardson et uxor
- STAC 5/A34/37 - I D - 32 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Ambrose v Ann Richardson, Isabell Haskell
- see also STAC Ambrose
Anderton v Preston
- Rectory and parsonage of Cartmeale co Lancashire. STAC 5/A4/25
- STAC 5/A4/25 - B A C I D - Hil 21 Eliz - Lancashire - Christopher Anderton, et Dorothy uxor, James Anderton (son of Christopher) v Christopher Preston, Thomas Bradley
- see also STAC Anderton
Anderton v Yate
- James Anderton of Lostockt in co Lancaster esquire. STAC 5/A1/20
- STAC 5/A46/17 - B Dr - 37 Eliz - Lancashire - James Anderton v James Yate Sr, James Yate Jr
- STAC 5/A1/20 - B A C - 37 Eliz - Lancashire - James Anderton v Roger Heaton, Ferdinand, John Yate, Robert Heaton, James Yate Sr, James Yate Jr, Richard Horrabyn, William Marshe
- STAC 5/A56/15 - Rn - 37 Eliz - Lancashire - James Anderton v James Yate Sr, James Yate Jr
- STAC 5/A57/37 - D - 37 Eliz - Lancashire - James Anderton v Joan Heton, John Wason et al
- STAC 5/A44/38 - I D - 37 Eliz - Lancashire - James Anderton v James Yeate Sr, James Yeate Jr, Richard Horrobin et al
- STAC 5/A13 /27 - I D - 37 Eliz - Lancashire - James Anderton v James Yate et al
- STAC 5/A38/13 - I D - 37 Eliz - Lancashire - James Anderton v James Yate Sr et al
- STAC 5/A36/33 - I D - 37 Eliz - Lancashire - James Anderton v James Yate Sr et al
- STAC 5/A27/4 - I - 37 Eliz - Lancashire - James Anderton v James Yate et al
- see also STAC Anderton
Athertone v Winstanley
- STAC 5/A1/36 - B - Trin 27 Eliz - Lancashire - Alexander Atherton v Ellen Wynstanley, Alice Wynstanley, Elizabeth Wynstanley see transcription STAC 5/A1/36
- STAC 5/A22/33 - B A C I D - 27 Eliz - Lancashire - Alexander Atherton v Ellen Wynstanley, Alice Wynstanley et al see transcription STAC 5/A22/33
- STAC 7/17/28 - - - Lancashire - Alexander Athertonn v Eleanor Winstanley et al
- see also STAC Atherton
Bacon v Trafford
- Thomas Bacon of London. Lease of tithe barn & tithe corn of Stretford, Lancs.(dk) - STAC 5/B9/7
- STAC 5/B9/7 - B A Dr - 39 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Bacon v Edmond Thomas Trafford, Thomas Goodyere, Robert Burgess et al
- STAC 5/B18/31 - I D - 39 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Bacon v Thomas Goodyer
- see also STAC Bacon
Bond v Trickett and Johnson
- TNA Note: Illegally holding the livings of Marston and Dowbridge. STAC 7/10/33
- STAC 5/B59/20 - B A - 44 Eliz - Lancashire - William Bond v Henry Trickett, Arthur Johnson
- STAC 5/B64/12 - I D - 44 Eliz - Lancashire - William Bonde v Henry Trickett
- STAC 5/B16/37 - I D - 44 Eliz - Lancashire - William Bonde v Arthur Johnson
- STAC 7/10/33 - - - Lancashire - William Bonde v Henry Trickett, Arthur Johnson
- see also STAC Bond
Booth v Trafford
- Barton & Salforde, Lancaster. Also involves Edmunde Trafforde Esqr & Margaret his wife. STAC 5/B68/5
- STAC 5/B87/14 - I D - 23 Eliz - Lancashire - Ellen Booth et al v Edmund Trafford, William Hulme, John Hulme
- STAC 5/B63/5 - B A C - 24 Eliz - Lancashire - Eleanor Booth, Anne Booth, Katherine Booth, Dorothy Booth v Sir Edmund Trafford, William Bagnshaw, John Barlow
- STAC 7/18/40 - - - Lancashire - Elyn Boothe et al v Sir Edmund Trafford et al
- STAC 5/B68/5 - A - 23 Eliz - Lancashire - Ellen Booth, Ann Booth v Robert Worsley, George Dyckens
- Answer of George Byron to the bill of Elyn Booth, widow
- Answers of Roberte Worsley Esqr & George Dyckens to the bill of Ellen Booth widow, Anne Booth, Dorothie Booth & Katherin Booth
- see also STAC Booth
Brereton v Sherrington
- Richard Brereton of Worseley, Lancs. Close called Pendleton Hay als Pelton Hay in Swynton Moore in the hamlet of Swynton in Worseley. Suits at court of Duchy of Lancaster.(dk) - STAC 5/B90/5
- STAC 5/B90/5 - B - 24 Eliz - Lancashire - Richard Brereton v Gilbert Shirrington, Adam Traves et al
- see also STAC Brereton for many more possible references
Brereton v Sherrington
- STAC 5/B8/32 - B A Rn C I D - 26 Eliz - Lancashire - Richard Brereton v Sir John Radcliffe, Gilbert Sherington, Ralphe Worseley et al
- STAC 5/B27/4 - B A Rn - 26 Eliz - Lancashire - Richard Brereton v Gilbert Sherington, Ralph Worsley et al
- STAC 5/B87/40 - I D - 26 Eliz - Lancashire - Richard Brereton v Adam Traves, Gilbert Sherington
- STAC 5/B110/5 - I D - 26 Eliz - Lancashire - Richard Brereton v John Hollinworth et al
- STAC 5/B108/4 - I D Rr - 26 Eliz - Lancashire - Richard Brereton v Ralf Worseley, Richard Sanderson et al
- see also STAC Brereton for other possible references and connected cases.
Calcott v Ashton
- Bill - John Calcott citizen and Merchant Taylor of London. One Thomas Langton of Waulton [?Walton] co Lancaster. esq about 7 years now last past became bound for the true payment of one hundred and four score pounds at a day then to come and now past about six years. Chancery writt. Lancashire sheriff refused to arrest him. Answer dated13 Nov Anno 33 Eliz. STAC 5/C14/24
- STAC 5/C14/24 - B A - 33 Eliz - Lancashire, London - John Calcott v James Ashton, William Ashton
- STAC 5/C24/11 - B A C - 34 Eliz - Lancashire, London - John Calcott v James Ashton, William Ashton
- STAC 5/C36/18 - I D - 34 Eliz - Lancashire, London - John Calcott v William Ashton
- STAC 5/C80/33 - Rn - Lancashire, London - John Calcot v James Atheton, William Atheton
- see also STAC Calcott
Corkonskell v Corkonskell
- Rowland Cockanskell of Ursock, Lancs son & heir of Robert Cockanskell of Ursock, decd, husbandman v Willm Cockenskell, uncle of the complt. Lands in manor of Mycheland, Lancs & manor of Myllam, Cumberland. (dk) STAC 5/C69/19
- STAC 5/C69/19 - B - 28 Eliz - Lancashire, Cumberland - Rowland Corkonskell v William Corkonskell
- see also STAC Corkonskell
Danyell v Bennett
- TNA Note: Perjury in a suit for debt in the Chamber of the Duchy of Lancaster, and as to riot and forcible entry. STAC 7/11/22
- STAC 5/D9/3 – Debt. Deponent Christopher Bennett (one of the defts) is from Cheshire (dk)
- STAC 5/D12/8 - B A C I D - 31 Eliz - Lancashire - John Daryell or Damyell v William Benett, Christopher Benett, George Benett
- STAC 5/D40/23 - Rn - 31 Eliz - Lancashire - John Daniel v Cristopher Bennett, Peter Bennett
- STAC 7/11/22 - - - Lancashire - John Danyell v Robert Bennett, Peter Bennett, Christopher Bennett
- STAC 5/D9/3 - I D - 31 Eliz - Lancashire - John Daniel v Christian Bennett et al
- see also STAC Daniel
Dawber v Roughly
- Estranged couple. Husband employed male witch to harm wife’s unborn child. Child died. Star Chamber found no jurisdiction. Add 37045 f2. Described in Legal Miscellany 14 Feb 2018 https://legalhistorymiscellany.com/2018/02/14/elizabethan-witchcraft/ STAC 5/D26/20
- STAC 5/D26/20 - B Dr - 35 Eliz - Lancashire - Henry Dawber v Richard Roughly, William Cowly, Jane Taylor, Jane Tarbocke
- see also STAC Dawber
Delawarre v Briddock
- Interrs ref the destruction of ditches at Collihurst. No county stated, but deponents from Lancs.(dk) - STAC 5/D40/12
- STAC 5/D40/12 - I D - 9 Eliz - Lancashire - William Lord DelaWarre v Edward Briddock, John Hulton et al
- see also STAC Delaware
Delawarre v Cleydon
- Pasture called Collyhurste in Manchester, Lancs. Interference with workmen creating ditched and fences to divide up the ground, and destruction of the ditches and fences.(dk) - STAC 5/D2/17
- STAC 5/D2/17 - B A C I D - 17 Eliz - Lancashire - Lord Delawarre v Robert Cleydon, Robert Haugh, Adam Bowker, Ralph Traviss, Ralph Dosterdyne et al
- STAC 5/W13/38 - I D - 17 Eliz - Lancashire - William West Lord De la Ware v Robert Cleydon
- STAC 5/D27/3 - B - 20 Eliz - Lancashire - Lord De la Warr v Robert Cleydon, Robert Halgh, Thomas Greenhalgh Esq
- see also STAC Delaware for other possible matches
Eccleston v Sonkey
- Henry Eccleston of Eccleston Lancs esq. Edward Sonkey of Sonkey Lancs owed him three score pounds on a bond. Action in Common Pleas at Westminster. STAC 5/E1/1
- STAC 5/E1/1 - B A - Easter 34 Eliz - Lancashire - Henry Eccleston v Edward Sonkey, Philip Langton, Thomas Serjeant, Adam Holme
- STAC 5/E9/40 - I D - 35 Eliz - Lancashire - Henry Eccleston v William Haseldon, William Naylor, Robert Chadock
- STAC 5/E10/34 - I D - 34 Eliz - Lancashire - Henry Eccleston v Edward Sonkey, Thomas Serjeant et al
- see also STAC Ecclestone
Egerton v Turner
- Bill badly damaged. Ferry of Tranmor & Seacon on the River Mersey at Liverpool, Lancashire.(dk) - STAC 5/E7/12
- STAC 5/E7/12 - B A Rn - 29 Eliz - Lancashire - John Egerton v Augustine Turner, Peter Powell et al
- STAC 5/E17/3 - A - - Lancashire - John Egerton v Roger Powell, Augustine Turner
- STAC 5/E5/4 - I D - 29 Eliz - Lancashire - John Egerton v Augustine Turner, Roger Powell
- see also STAC Egerton
Farrington v Breworth
- Bill damaged. Procurement to cancel indenture of lease of tithe corn of Longton, Lancs. Large number of depositions taken at Blackburn.(dk) - STAC 5/F24/17
- STAC 5/F24/17 - B A C I D - 31 Eliz - Lancashire - William Farrington v Thomas Breworth, John Aynesworth
- see also STAC Farrington
Fisher v Fisher
- That whereas Roger Kyrkkeby Esq . . . land in Wrightington in co Lancaster. STAC 5/F11/3
- STAC 5/F11/3 - B A - 29 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Fisher v William Fisher et uxor, Roger Kirkbye et al
- STAC 5/F16/27 - I D - 39 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Fysher v William Fysher
- see also STAC Fisher
Fleming v Colton
- STAC 5/F11/5 - Thomas Flemminge servant to Roger Kirkbye of Kirkbie Ireleth in co Lancaster. STAC 5/F3/26
- STAC 5/F3/26 - B A C I D - 29 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Fleminge v Richard Colton, Robert Richardson, John Kirkeby, James Wales et al
- STAC 5/F11/5 - B A - 29 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Flemynge v Richard Colton, Robert Richards et al
- see also STAC Fleming
Fletcher v Hankey
- William Fletcher of Widnes. STAC 5/F2/16
- STAC 5/F2/16 - B - 17 Eliz - Lancashire - William Fletcher v George Hankey et uxor, John Boulton, William Hanpye, Thomas Bycrofte et al
- see also STAC Fletcher
Forshawe v Kitchen
- John Forshawe of Penwortham in co Lancaster gent, Lands. STAC 5/F3/31
- STAC 5/F3/31 - B - 39 Eliz - Lancashire - John Forshawe v Barnaby Kitchen, Thomas Ashton, Richard Ashton et uxor.
- see also STAC Forshawe
Hill v Mather
- Thomas Hill of Little Bowlton in the co of Lancaster, yeoman. STAC 5/H11/32
- STAC 5/H11/32 - B Dr - Hil 29 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Hill v Humfrey Mather, Edmund Chalener, John Bird
- see also STAC Hill
Ireland v Bold
- Burton Wood, Lancashire. STAC 5/J3/7
- STAC 5/J19/21 - B A - 41 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Irelande v Richard Bolde, John Ashton et al
- STAC 5/J18/33 - B A C I D - 42 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Ireland v Thomas Barrowe Sr, Henry Bold et al
- STAC 5/J10/5 - I D - 42 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Ireland v Thomas Bold et al
- STAC 5/J3/7 - I D - 41 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Ireland v Richard Bold et al
- STAC 5/J22/9 - A - 42 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Ireland v Thomas Bold, John Halton et al
- STAC 5/J20/16 - I D - 41 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Ireland v Thomas Phyppe, John Parker et al
- STAC 5/J20/29 - I D - 42 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Ireland v John Ashton, Richard Rumbold et al
- STAC 5/J16/2 - A - 42 Eliz - Lancashire - Thomas Ireland v Henry Taylior
- see also STAC Ireland
Kirkby v Shepherd
- The Manor of Kirkby Ireleth, Lancashire. STAC 5/K2/11
- STAC 5/K2/11 - B - 29 Eliz - Lancashire - Roger Kirkby v Matthew Shepherd, Roger Postlethwaite, John Fisher et al
- STAC 5/K2/16 - B - 29 Eliz - Roger Kirkbie v Roger Binson, Thomas Binson, Thomas Fisher, John Hesketh, Ralph Brown et al
- see also STAC Kirkby
Orrell v Marshe
- Interr tbm to Peeter Marshe deft at suit of Willm Orrell, Gent. & Deposition of Peter Marshe of Wiggan, Lancs, Yeoman. STAC 5/O3/13 (dk)
- STAC 5/O1/20 - B A - 42 Eliz - Lancashire - William Orrell v Peter Marshe
- STAC 5/O3/13 - I D - 43 Eliz - Lancashire - William Orrell v Peter Marshe
- see also STAC Orrell
Orrell v Tarbock
- William Orrell of Turton in co Lancaster esquire. Land in Tarbock Lancashire. STAC 5/O8/28
- Case Book BL Harley MS 2143 fo. 47r. An outlawry pleaded yet the plaintiff to proceed for the benefit of Queen. Orrell, plaintiff; Tarbicke. The defendant had pleaded an outlawry to the plaintiff’s bill, whereupon the plaintiff prayed that he might prosecute the same for the benefit of Her Majesty or that Mr Attorney might do the same, for that the bill contained heinous offences the which court ordered at the plaintiff’s election. Michaelmas 31 Elizabeth (kk)
- STAC 5/O6/26 - B Dr - Mich 30 & 31 Eliz - Lancashire - William Orrell v Edwel Tarbock Sr, Edwel Tarbock Jr, William Whitfield et al.
- STAC 5/O8/28 - B Dr - Mich 30/31 Eliz - Lancashire - William Orrell v Edward Torbock, Thomas Torbock, Robert Morton et al.
- see also STAC Orrell
Rafeson v Hoope
- STAC 5/R1/29 - B - 1 Eliz - Lancashire - Richard Rafeson v Peter Hoope, Peter Arpeshawe, Henry Aspeshawe, Richard Pickering, Thomas Persyville et al. Transcribed STAC 5/R1/29
- see also STAC Rafeson
Ratcliffe v Ashton
- STAC 5/R2/12 - B - Trin 30 Eliz - Lancashire - Owen Ratcliff v Edward Ashton, William Hawworth, John Gabbed, Richard Flitten et al
- STAC 5/R23/25 - B A C - 30 Eliz - Lancashire - Owen Radcliffe v John Gabbat, Richard Fytton et al
- STAC 7/14/33 - - - Lancashire - Owen Radclif v Edward Ashton, William Haworth, Robert Holland
- STAC 5/R24/20 - I D - 30 Eliz - Lancashire - Owen Radclyff v Edward Ashton, William Howard et al
- see also STAC Radcliffe
Ridings v Travis
- TNA Note: Manchester: Destruction of a cottage. STAC 7/14/28
- STAC 5/R1/38 - B - 44 Eliz - Lancashire - James Rydynges v Jervise Trevis, Troylus Trevis, Ralph Trevis Transcribed STAC 5/R1/38
- STAC 7/14/28 - - - Lancashire - James Rydinges v Jervis Travis
- see also STAC Riding
Sherington v Brereton
- Complt Gilbert Sherington refers to himself, Rauffe Worseley, John Gawen, Elen Smythe, Alice Lomas, Rycharde Sanderson, Robarte Bordeman and Adam Traves having been found at Star Chamber to have comitted riot by reason of entry into a cottage at Pendleton Hey, Lancs, having conspired to indict Anne Styrroppe of having stolen a shovel, and to indict William Styrroppe for poisoning the said Anne then his wife. False depositions, perjury.(dk) STAC 5/S69/9
- Gylberte Sheryngton of Grays Inn, Middx. Pendleton Hay More in Worsley, Lancs.(dk) - STAC 5/S37/19
- Case Book BL Harley MS 2143 fo. 29r. Sherrington, plaintiff; Brereton et al: for perjury in giving a verdict for Her Majesty being of a coroner’s inquest and for some others for giving evidence for Her Majesty upon indictment of an another to the coroner’s inquest, the which the court much misliked and therefore referred for dismission to the justice. Hillary 27 Elizabeth (kk)
- STAC 5/S4/23 - B A Rn C I D - 26 Eliz - Lancashire - Gilbert Sherrington v Richard Brereton, Thomas Valentine, William Stirroppe, Thomas Edge et al
- STAC 5/S66/27 - B A Rn - 26 Eliz - Lancashire - Gilbert Sherington v Ellis Haye, William Styrroppe et al
- STAC 5/S60/35 - I D - 26 Eliz - Lancashire - Gilbert Sherington v Richard Brereton, Thomas Valentyne
- STAC 5/S44/26 - B A C I D - 27 Eliz - Lancashire - Gilbert Sherington v Richard Brereton, Thomas Valentyne et al
- STAC 5/S35/23 - I D - 27 Eliz - Lancashire - Gilbert Sherington v Richard Brereton et al
- STAC 5/S18/22 - I D - 27 Eliz - Lancashire - Gilbert Sherington v Richard Brereton et al
- STAC 5/S18/35 - I D - 27 Eliz - Lancashire - Gilbert Sherington v Richard Brereton
- STAC 5/S17/37 - I D - 27 Eliz - Lancashire - Gilbert Sherington v Richard Brereton et al
- STAC 5/S12/12 - I D - 27 Eliz - Lancashire - Gilbert Sherington v Richard Brereton, Richard Newton et al
- STAC 5/S69/9 - B Dr - 28 Eliz - Lancashire - Gilbert Sherington v Richard Brereton, William Styrrop et al
- see also STAC Sherington
Sherington v Tyldesly and Holland
- Gylberte Sheryngton of Grays Inn, Middx. Pendleton Hay More in Worsley, Lancs.(dk) - STAC 5/S37/19
- Case Book BL Harley MS 2143 fo. 44v. No witness to be examined touching a man’s title that is no party to the suit in this court. Sherrington, plaintiff; Holland: for perjury and the plaintiff in his bill set forth matter against Mr Brereton, title to a close which had been dismissed here and in the Duchy court, and therefore the court ordered that he should examine no witness concerning his title but only touching the perjury against the said defendant in this suit for that Mr Brereton was not party to this suit. Trinity 28 Elizabeth (kk)
- STAC 5/S37/19 - B A C I D - 25 Eliz - Lancashire - George Sherington v Thomas Tyldesly, William Holland et al
- STAC 5/S71/39 - I D - 25 Eliz - Lancashire - Gilbert Sherington v William Hollande, Thomas Tyldesly et al
- STAC 5/S83/3 - Rn I D - 25 Eliz - Lancashire - Gilbert Sherington v William Holland, Peter Holland et al
- STAC 5/S11/1 - I D - 26 Eliz - Lancashire - Gilbert Sherington v William Holland
- see also STAC Sherington for more possible references
Tyldesley v Tyldesley
- TNA Note: Tyldesley: Armed interference with a right of way. STAC 7/15/34
- STAC 5/T29/17 - B A - 19 Eliz - Lancashire - Edward Tyldesley v Lambert Tyldesly, John Tyldesly, Arnold Pennyngton
- STAC 5/T21/21 - I D - 20 Eliz - Lancashire - Edward Tyldesly v Lambart Tyldesly, Arnold Penyngton et al
- STAC 7/15/34 - - - Lancashire - Edward Tyldesley v Lambert Tyldesley, John Tyldesley, Francis Grundye, Geoffrey Grundye, Arnold Pynnyngton
- STAC 5/S53/31 - I D - 20 Eliz - Lancashire - Philippa Sone, Christopher Sone, Robert Tydesly v John Tydesley, Richard Tydesly
- see also STAC Tyldesley
AG v Holmes
- Case Book BL Harley MS 2143 fo. 23v. A misdemeanor in two punished for striking a preacher after his sermon ended out of his church. Attorney Rex, plaintiff, by information against Holme and James Eckersall, the defendant convicted for striking of one Corker, a preacher, immediately after his sermon ended and made in the church of Manchester as he and one Hall another minister were going in the street toward their lodging by reason whereof a great multitude of people being there in the said street that came to the fair there kept that day were gathered together and the High Sheriff and justices were constrained to pacify the same, for which offence they were imprisoned for a quarter of a year and fined at one £100 apiece and to pay £10 to the preacher for his hurt and 20 nobles to the said Hall for his recompense and to make acknowledgment at the next fair. Michaelmas 6 and 7 Elizabeth (kk)
- STAC 5/A58/10 - B - - Lancashire - AG v Robert Holmes, James Elersall et al
- see also STAC Holmes
AG v Latham
- TNA Note: 1600. Edward Coke, esquire, attorney general v Henry Lathome and others. Assault on John Jenkins and David Jenkins, Lancashire - STAC 10/1/79
- Lancashire 1600. Assault on John Jenkins and David Jenkins. STAC 10/1/79
- STAC 5/A57/34 - Rn - 42 Eliz - Lancashire - AG v Henry Latham, Oliver Manwaring et al
- STAC 10/1/79 - B - - Lancashire - AG v Henry Lathome et al
- see also STAC Latham
AG v Sherington
- Int to be ministered unto William Saunderson Thurstan Eckersall Peter Valentyne by Thomas egerton Esquire for HM AG. Complainant against Gilbert Sherington Esquire def. First whether do you know or have heard that Gilbert sherington Esquire by a decree or judgement in the Starre Chamber in Aprill in the xxxjth yere of HM reigne or thereaboutes was convicted of divers crymes and misdemeanours at the suyte of Richard Brereton Esquire . . . have you heard him say that he could not have lawe . . STAC 5/A6/33
- Summaries of various depositions taken in Manchester. Iincluding: William Saunderson of Swynton in co Lanc weaver, tenant to the deft, aged 48 John Valentine of Wardley co Lanc weaver tenant to the def, aged 29. STAC 5/A6/33
- Case Book BL Harley MS 2143 fo. 56r. For slandering the sentence and decree of the court. Attorney Rex, plaintiff; Sherrington: for slandering the sentence and proceedings of this court in saying that the decree is uncertain and grounded upon records rested by his adversaries’ counsel contrary to truth without any direct witness and that by law he ought not to perform the same for that he was convicted upon untrue surmises and presumptions and that he could not with a safe conscience perform the same decree, that he was not fully heard, that he was outlaid and oppressed by the countenance of great persons, that his cause was good but that might had overcome right, that he had been hardly dealt with, and that he could not have justice in the said cause and that he could not be heard there, for which insolent content and misdemeanor being a counsellor and a reader of an Inn of Court, in derogation of the court and dishonor of the sentence he was committed and fined at 1000 marks, expulsed Gray’s Inn, and sequestered from his practice during his life, to go up and down Westminster with a paper on his head declaring his offences. Hillary 35 Elizabeth (kk)
- STAC 5/A26/36 - I D - 33 Eliz - Lancashire - AG v Gilbert Sherington
- STAC 5/A11/22 - A - 33 Eliz - Lancashire - AG v Gilbert Sherington
- Deposition of Alyce the wife of Giles Lomas of Little Wordley [? Worsley] co Lanc aged 46. STAC 5/A7/40
- STAC 5/A7/40 - I D - 34 Eliz - Lancashire - AG v Gilbert Sherrington
- STAC 5/A6/33 - C I D - 34 Eliz - Lancashire - AG v Gilbert Sherrington
- STAC 5/A51/9 - I D - 35 Eliz - Lancashire - AG v Gilbert Sherington
- see also STAC Sherington
AG v Standish
- Bill: Whereas Edward Rigbye of the Burghe co Lancaster Esquire Justice of Peace. . . Four Answers. STAC 5/A52/27
- STAC 5/A52/27 - B A - 45 Eliz - Lancashire - AG v Leonard Standish, Thomas Croke, Alexander Standish, James Aynescough, John Becke, Geffry Wasley et al
- STAC 5/A43/3 - I D - 45 Eliz - Lancashire - AG v Alexander Standish
- see also STAC Standish
AG v Woodfall
- TNA Note: Prescott: Resistance to search for warrants. STAC 7/1/8
- STAC 7/1/8 - - - Lancashire - AG (Edward Coke) v John Woodfalle, Adam Hayward, Edward Eccleston, William Standishe, et al
[Unknown] v [Unknown]
- TNA note: Damaged deposition, taken by commission in Lancashire. Deponents include Cuthbert Clyfton, esquire, of Westby, James Davy of Ribby, James Bradley, gentleman, and others. Relates to land on the banks of the river Ribble. - STAC 10/2/45
- STAC 10/2/45 - D - - Lancashire -
- TNA E159/350 Michaelmas Term, 6 Elizabeth. Fine paid 26 October 1564
- From Robert Holme of Manchester, Lancs, gent: £100.
- From James Eckersall of Manchester, yeoman: £100.
- These fines were set upon the said persons for making an affray upon a preacher immediately upon the sermon made.
- TNA E159/366 Hilary Term, 16 Elizabeth. Fine paid
- From Alan Hulton de Farneworth, Lancs, armiger: £40.
- From Roger Halton de Bowlton, Lancs, gent: £15.
- From Richard Dutton of Chester, merchant: £10.
- From William Scofeld de Bowlton: £10.
- From William Draper, jr, de Bowlton: £10.
- From Richard Woodward late de Bowlton: £10.
- From James Rothewell de Leyver, Lancs: £10.
- TNA E159/385 Michaelmas Term, 24-25 Elizabeth. Fine Paid. 1582
- First, from Edmund Trafforde de Trafford, Lancs, knight: £10.
- From Robert Woorseley de Bathes, Lancs: £10.
- From Robert Charnock de Asteley, Lancs: £5.
- TNA E159/389 Trinity Term, 27 Elizabeth. Fine Paid
- From John Arrundell, knight: 1,000 marks.
- From Thomas Tresham, knight: £100.
- From John Hocknell de Prentell, Ches: £50.
- From Mathew Travers de Prescott, Lancs: £50.
- TNA E159/391 Easter Term, 28 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1586
- From Gilbert Sherington de Wordley in Worsley, Lancs, armiger: £200.
- From John Ratcliff de Ordsall, Lancs, knight: £30.
- From Ralph Worseley de Pemberton, Lancs: £10.
- From Robert Wordman de Tyldesley, Lancs, laborer: £10.
- From Adam Travis, servant to the said Gilbert Sherington: £10.
- From Richard Saunderson de Worseley: £10.
- From Alice Lommas de Worseley: £10.
- From John Gawen de Worseley: £10.
- From Helena Smythe de Abram, Lancs: £10.
- TNA E159/395 Easter Term, 30 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1588
- From Blaunch Hesketh, late wife of William Stopforde, gent, de Bysbum, Lancs, now wife of Robert Hesketh, armiger and to be levied from him: £200.
- TNA E159/397 Easter Term, 31 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1589
- From Gilbert Sherington de Wordeley, Lancs, armiger, and Richard Brooke de Toddington, Lancs, husbandman: 200 marks.
- From Richard Ryther de Southwark, Surrey: £6 13s 4d.
- TNA E159/404 Hilary Term, 35 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1593
- From Gilbert Bybbye de Salforde, Lancs, gent: £10.
- TNA E159/412 Michaelmas Terms, 38-39 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1596
- From Gilbert Sherington de Wordley, Lancs, armiger: £50.
- TNA E159/415 Easter Term, 40 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1598
- From George Bretherton de Croston, Lancs: £40.
- From Thomas Hodgeson de Croston, Lancs: £40.
- From Thomas Hodges de Croston, Lancs: £40.
- From James Stopford de Croston, Lancs: £40.
- From Richard Ansted de Croston, Lancs: £40.
- TNA E159/417 Trinity Term, 41 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1599
- From James Banckes de Winstanley, Lancs, gent, and Zuzanna his wife: £200.
- From Adam Banckes de Wynstanley, Lancs, yeoman: £20.
- From Ralph Greene de Wynstanley, Lancs, yeoman: £20.
- From William Dawber de Orrell, Lancs: £6 13s 4d.
- From Robert Toppinge de Blackrod, Lancs, yeoman: £6 13s 4d.
- From Gilbert Barton de Wynstanley, Lancs, yeoman: £6 13s 4d.
- From Anthony Blackamore de Wynstanley, Lancs, yeoman: £6 13s 4d.
- From Anna Woodde de Wynstantley, Lancs: £6 13s 4d.
- TNA E159/421 Hilary Term, 43 Elizabeth. Fines Paid 1601
- From William Standyshe de Scoldes in the twon of Egleston, Lancs: £400
- From Robert Darbyshire de Wyndle, Lancs: £200.
- From John Woodfall de Sutton, Lancs: £200.
- From Brian Heyward de Parr, Lancs: £200.
- (Order that said Stanyshe will pay the fines of said Darbyshire, Woodfall, and Heyward if they are unable to do so.)
- TNA E159/421 Michaelmas Term, 43-44 Elizabeth. Fines Paid 1601
- From William Farrington de Worden, Lancs, armiger: £100.