Tutor Position Requirements
The online application process requires you to submit the following documents:
- the online application form;
- copy of current transcript/grade report;
- two (2) current faculty recommendations forms; and
- an up-to-date resume.
Eligible applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Applicants for the position of tutor must meet the minimum requirements below:
- Have completed at least 9 credit hours (one semester) at the University of Houston;
- Be a currently enrolled student at the University of Houston, preferably sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate standing;
- Have an overall grade point average of at least 3.0, and an average of 3.25 in his/her academic major. (Upload an unofficial University of Houston transcript at the end of the application form online);
- Have earned at least a "B" in the courses he/she wishes to tutor;
- Have positive recommendations from two faculty members, at least one of which must be a UH professor (form available online in the application (MS Word) or PDF);
- Have effective human relations and communication skills that will enable him/her to communicate successfully with students and tutees.
The role of Peer Tutor in the Undergraduate Student Success Center includes these responsibilities:
- Work extensively with students, individually and in small groups, to help them master course material or improve problem-solving, writing, and learning strategies skills;
- Attend training seminars as required each semester;
- Complete all assigned work accurately and on time;
- Update records on additional courses are able to tutor;
- Perform other duties as required by Learning Support Services;
- Approach work in the Undergraduate Student Success Center with enthusiasm and care for the academic success of peer tutoring clients.