Tutor Application Requirements
The online application process requires you to submit the following documents:
- the online application form;
- copy of your current transcript/grade report;
- two (2) current faculty recommendations forms; and
- an up-to-date resume.
Eligible applicants will be contacted for an interview.
To be eligible for employment as a tutor in LAUNCH, you must meet the minimum requirements below:
- Have completed at least 9 credit hours (one semester) at the University of Houston;
- Be a currently enrolled student at the University of Houston, preferably sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate standing;
- Have an overall grade point average of at least 3.0, and an average of 3.25 in your academic major. (You will upload an unofficial University of Houston transcript at the end of the application form online);
- Have earned at least a "B" in the courses you would like to tutor;
- Have positive recommendations from two faculty members, at least one of which must be a UH professor (form available online in the application (MS Word) or PDF);
- Have effective human relations and communication skills that will enable you to communicate successfully with colleagues and tutees.
The work of a LAUNCH Peer Tutor includes:
- Working extensively with students--individually and in small groups--to help them master course material or improve problem-solving, writing, and learning strategies skills;
- Attending training seminars as required each semester;
- Completing all assigned work accurately and on time;
- Performing other duties as required by Learning Support Services;
- Approaching work in the Undergraduate Student Success Center with enthusiasm and compassion for the academic success of peer tutoring clients.