We offer drop-in peer tutoring for over 500 UH courses. Tutoring is conducted primarily on an individual basis, although groups of students can choose to meet with a tutor.
Learning Strategies Counseling
Individual appointments are available to enrolled UH students for Learning Strategies Counseling, designed to:
- Discuss effective study methods for particular courses;
- Reduce test anxiety, math anxiety, and improve academic confidence;
- Teach active learning methods to improve concentration and memory;
- Assess strengths and weaknesses in studying using relevant inventories and assessments;
- Assist in developing a time management plan;
- Make referrals to other services on UH campus and beyond, that may contribute to academic success.
Appointments can be made by calling the LSS front desk at 713-743-5411
Learning Strategies Workshops
Each semester we present over 60 workshops to undergraduates on such topics as
- Time Management;
- Test Anxiety;
- Test Preparation;
- Improving Memory.
Learning Strategies Handouts
We provide handouts to improve your success in such topics as
- Research and Writing;
- Time Management;
- Test Anxiety.
Graduate Student Support
LSS supports graduate and professional students with learning strategies counseling and workshops on topics such as American Psychological Association writing style, scholarly writing, giving presentations, writing research papers for publication, and time manage-ment. All LSS services are available to individual graduate students.
Collaboration with Other Campus Offices
LSS provides consultation and collaboration with other retention efforts on campus. The collaboration could include offering tutoring, psycho-educational workshops, college success seminars, assessment, and support groups. LSS provides holistic learning programs for departments or colleges requesting our services. After participating departments refer students, counselors assess students’ academic needs, and provide Learning Strategies Counseling based on those needs.