Be ready to have a successful enrollment experience during your New Student Orientation, New Cougar—be Enrollment Ready!
Some of your decisions about what courses to take in your first semester will depend on credit on which you may be waiting from AP or IB exams, or transfer credit from other universities. Some courses require a prerequisite to be met, and yet others require you to take a placement exam to accurately place you into the appropriate level course. Don't wait until Orientation to find out what you are missing!
Follow these 5 steps now to make sure you are Enrollment Ready!
- If you have transfer coursework, including dual credit, submit your electronic college transcript(s) as soon as possible for review by the Office of Admissions in advance of your orientation. (Note that high school transcripts that show dual credit coursework cannot be used to document transfer coursework—UH must have your college transcripts to make it all official.)
- Most AP credit is assigned automatically for scores you have submitted; check your myUH account (Admissions tab and down to Test Results) to assure the credit has been applied correctly. At your New Student Orientation, discuss your credit options with your college advisors (for example, some students decide to take the UH course instead of accepting the course credit.) Note: Scores that you elected to send to UH for AP exams taken this year will be received in July. If you attend orienation prior to then, you'll need to enroll in courses without that prerequisite, and then once your scores are in, you can go back and change your schedule.
- For IB credit, contact Testing Services director Mr. Patrick Daniel at PNDaniel@Central.UH.EDU for individual review.
- For more information, please consult the UH Undergraduate Catalog Credit by Exam section for a list of test scores eligible for course credit.
- Check your myUH account to see if you have holds that will prevent you from enrolling. (Note: Holds related to Advising/Registration and orientation Conference will be removed on the day of your orientation). Upload documentation for Bacterial Meningitis and TSI to your To-Do List on the right side of your myUH account.
- Find the 4-year Academic Map for your intended major, and make a list of the courses you plan to take in your first semester. You’ll work with your advisor at your New Student Orientation to replace courses for which you already have credit with courses listed in later semesters so that you can have a full-time enrollment (15 hours) for your first semester.
- Look up each course you plan to take in the UH Undergraduate Catalog to be sure that you have met the prerequisite requirements.
- If you find that any of your courses require a placement exam, check this list of exams to understand when and how to take each placement exam.Plan to take these exams as early as possible—most should be completed before your scheduled orientation to ensure that you are prepared to enroll in courses.
Questions before New Student Orientation? Check with your college advisors to make sure you have the most current answers.
Be Enrollment Ready! Orientation is just the first step on your path to success at University of Houston!