Orientation for Admitted Students
So, you're officially a Cougar! You’ve worked hard to get here, and your time at the University of Houston is about to start. Let's talk about what's next.
New Student Orientation (NSO)
NSO is exactly what it sounds like: an orientation specifically designed for new college students. We'll give you all the information you need to feel confident when you step on campus for your first day of class. You'll learn more about life on campus, mingle with your future classmates, meet your academic advisor, and register for classes. Yes, it's mandatory (but it's also fun!).
Advising and Registration for Transfers (ART)
ART is a program for all new transfer students that'll give you a sense of what UH is all about and set you up to succeed as a Cougar. It's required, and you'll have to attend before you can register for classes, but we promise it'll be worth your time.
Meet the Staff
The Orientation Team (O-Team for short) are your new best friends. Think of them as a family made up of a diverse and unique group of current UH students who serve as leaders across campus. They'll work with you and your family to introduce you to the University of Houston, and all the academic, social, and cultural aspects of becoming a Cougar.
Know Before You Go
What To Expect
We'll ease you into your new life at UH! Here's what you'll do at your NSO/ART:
- Experience some of our traditions
- Gain a better understanding of what it takes to succeed at UH
- Learn more about how to pay for college
- Engage with various student support services we have on campus
- Meet with your academic advisor
- Complete a class schedule in your chosen major
- Leave confident that you're ready for your first day at UH
What To Bring
- Government-issued photo ID
- Final transcripts from your high school and/or former college(s) if you haven't submitted them to UH already
- Casual clothes, including comfortable, closed-toe walking shoes
- Water bottle
- Umbrella or raincoat
- A jacket or sweater (some meeting rooms will be chilly)
Info for Family and Guests
Family members and guests are welcome to attend New Student Conferences. The guest fee per adult guest (18+) is $60 for NSO and $40 for ART. The fee can be paid online in advance or on-site the morning of the conference. This fee does not include housing, as no housing is provided for family members or guests during New Student Orientation. There is no fee for children under 18.