Long Receives Farfel Award, Other Faculty Members HonoredBeing recognized for excellence has become the norm for Stuart A. Long, who was honored a year ago as the first recipient of the University of Houston Teaching Excellence Career Award. This year, the professor of electrical and computer engineering’s talent and dedication are being recognized with an honor of even greater significance.
Long is the 2010 Esther Farfel Award recipient – the highest honor accorded to a University of Houston faculty member. Long is the 32nd recipient of the Farfel Award, which was first given in 1979. The award, a symbol of overall career excellence, carries a cash prize of $10,000. Long teaches a variety of undergraduate and graduate-level classes in applied electromagnetics including electromagnetic waves, antenna engineering and microwave engineering.
Long and 21 other faculty members were recently honored at UH’s Faculty Excellence Awards ceremony. This year’s recipients teach in a range of subjects from chemical engineering to music to management.
JOHN AND REBECCA MOORES PROFESSORS
This five-year renewable award is given to faculty who are outstanding in teaching, research and service. Each recipient is awarded a $10,000 annual stipend.
• Larry Pinsky, chair and professor, physics
• Richard Willson, professor, chemical and biomolecular engineering
EXCELLENCE IN RESEARCH & SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS
The award is given to faculty who have achieved a substantial record of outstanding research, scholarship or creative activities in their field. Each award carries a $5,000 stipend and a plaque.
• Vincent Donnelly, chemical engineering
• Praveen Kumar, chair, finance
• Casey Due-Hackney, modern and classical languages
• Tahir Hussain, pharmacological and pharmaceutical sciences
• Stanko Brankovic, electrical and computer engineering
• Rong Zheng, computer science
TEACHING EXCELLENCE AWARDS
This award is given to tenured- or tenure-track faculty in recognition of outstanding achievement in teaching. Recipients are honored with a trophy and a $5,000 prize.
• Andrew Davis, associate professor, music
• Richard DeFrank, associate professor, management
• Olaf Daugulis, associate professor, chemistry
• Douglas Eikenburg, associate professor, pharmacology
• Alexander Parsons, assistant professor, English
Innovation in Instructional Technology
This award is given to given to tenured- or tenure-track faculty in recognition of outstanding achievement in teaching using innovation in instructional technology. The recipient is honored with a trophy and a $5,000 prize.
• Bernard Robin, associate professor, curriculum and instruction
This award is given in recognition of outstanding teaching by faculty instructors, clinical faculty, research faculty, artist affiliates and lecturers. The recipient is honored with a trophy and a $5,000 prize.
• Mary Bean, instructor, chemistry
• Micky Fleischer, instructor, chemical and biomolecular engineering
Graduate Teaching Assistant
This award is given to graduate students who are honored with a trophy and a $1,000 prize.
• William “Willy” Bolander, marketing and entrepreneurship
• Jason Pitruzzello, English
This award is given to tenured faculty who have demonstrated excellence in teaching over the course of their careers at UH. The recipient is honored with a trophy and a $5,000 prize.
• Joel Bloom, professor, health and human performance
FACULTY AWARD FOR MENTORING UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH
The $5,000 award honors the practice of mentoring undergraduate research and scholarship.
• Rigoberto Advincula, professor, chemistry
PROVOST FACULTY ADVISING AWARD
This award is given to a faculty member who demonstrates excellence in undergraduate academic advising. The recipient is honored with a plaque and a $1,000 prize.
• Bill Dupre, associate professor and undergraduate adviser, Earth and geosciences