- 07/30/2015 - Economist Stephen Craig says the slowing energy industry “takes the boom out of boomtown.”
- 07/30/2015 - UH’s Bill Gilmer describes the Houston economy as “a tale of two cities.”
- 07/30/2015 - BSEE talks with industry about offshore safety concerns at UH forum.
- 07/30/2015 - Economist Adam Perdue says oil industry layoffs will ripple through the Houston economy.
- 07/30/2015 - As oil industry cuts, Bauer’s Adam Perdue predicts $60 million in petrochemical and refining investments in Houston area.
- 07/29/2015 - Bauer’s Adam Perdue talks with KHOU about oil industry layoffs.
- 07/27/2015 - UH’s Subsea Systems Institute is among the beneficiaries of BP oil spill settlement.
- 07/27/2015 - Bauer’s Christopher Ross says oil producers have good reasons for supporting oil exports. “It would be helpful.”
- 07/26/2015 - “Crew change” consultant Elaine Cullen says a recent UH debate on the energy workforce drew interest from young women, a key demographic for the industry.
- 07/22/2015 - Bauer’s Bill Gilmer says low oil prices continue to hurt Houston’s growth.
- 07/22/2015 - UH’s Ed Hirs says California drivers will continue to pay high prices for gasoline.
- 07/20/2015 - UH alumni talk about their gasoline delivery business on Houston Matters.
- 07/17/2015 - Economist Barton Smith says equipment makers, not big oil companies, have been the first harbinger of trouble.
- 07/17/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs says the old measures of oilfield prosperity aren’t as revealing as they used to be.
- 07/15/2015 - Finance professor Craig Pirrong says Federal Energy Regulatory Commission is cracking down on market manipulation.
- 07/15/2015 - UH research shows high methane emissions from Barnett Shale.
- 07/15/2015 - As BHP Billiton writes down shale assets, energy economist Ed Hirs says more companies are likely to do the same.
- 07/14/2015 - UH research finds higher-than-expected methane emissions in the Barnett Shale.
- 07/13/2015 - Dean Joseph Tedesco says agreement with San Jacinto College will lead to “more world-class engineers.”
- 07/10/2015 - Railroad Commissioner cites UH research in testifying before Congress about lifting oil export ban.
- 07/10/2015 - Energy Advisory Board member Mike Krancer says industry and UH collaborate to create energy curriculum.
- 07/10/2015 - Bauer’s Bill Gilmer says “it’s hard to be optimistic” about oil prices recovering anytime soon.
- 07/09/2015 - UH cement research could improve offshore drilling operations.
- 07/09/2015 - UH research raises concerns about methane emissions at natural gas sites.
- 07/09/2015 - Methane emissions from natural gas drilling, processing could have easy fix.
- 07/08/2015 - UH’s Robert Talbot says maintenance issues cause some high rates of methane emissions.
- 07/08/2015 - UH research suggests climate risks from natural gas drilling and processing.
- 07/08/2015 - UH’s Robert Talbot talks with KUHF about the methane leaks from natural gas drilling.
- 07/07/2015 - New study shows higher methane emissions in Barnett Shale than previously estimated.
- 07/07/2015 - UH’s Ed Hirs on looming problems for some oil companies.
- 07/07/2015 - UH research: Escaping methane may limit climate advantages of natural gas.
- 07/07/2015 - UH study of methane emissions adds to debate over fracking and climate.
- 07/07/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs says expiring oil contracts may add to companies’ troubles.
- 07/07/2015 - New DHS research centers, including one run by UH, will focus on building resilience in the Gulf.
- 07/07/2015 - Research by UH finds high methane emission rates with natural gas drilling.
- 07/07/2015 - UH scientists find larger-than-expected methane emissions in the Barnett Shale.
- 07/07/2015 - UH research into methane emissions in the Barnett Shale has implications for the climate.
- 07/07/2015 - Economist Bill Gilmer says an extended drop in drilling would normally cause a slight recession in Houston.
- 07/07/2015 - UH study shows natural gas operations leak more methane than previously estimated.
- 07/07/2015 - Findings from UH researchers raise concerns about methane emissions in the Barnett Shale.
- 07/06/2015 - With oil prices dropping again, economist Barton Smith says Houston’s economy will continue to slide.
- 07/06/2015 - Upcoming OESI forum at UH set for July 29.
- 07/06/2015 - UH offshore safety research among beneficiaries of BP settlement.
- 07/05/2015 - UH to lead offshore safety center funded by penalties from 2010 oil spill.
- 07/04/2015 - UH-led offshore safety research center receives money from BP oil spill settlement.
- 07/02/2015 - Subsea Systems Institute at UH will benefit from $18.7 billion settlement with BP.
- >07/02/2015 - Texas, and UH, receive funding through settlement over BP oil spill.
- 07/02/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs says rising rig count won’t necessarily mean higher oil production.
- 07/01/2015 - UH-led center for offshore energy research receives funding from BP oil spill fines.
- 07/01/2015 - Economists, including Bauer’s Bill Gilmer, cut predictions for job growth in Houston.
- 07/01/2015 - Penalties from Deepwater Horizon will fund UH-led Subsea Systems Institute.
- 06/30/2015 - History of the oil industry will be stored in archives at UH.
- 06/30/2015 - Despite volatile oil prices, Bauer’s Bill Gilmer says Houston may avoid a recession, thanks to the petrochemical industry.
- 06/30/2015 - UH-led Subsea Systems Institute is one of first beneficiaries from oil spill penalties.
- 06/30/2015 - Bauer’s Bill Gilmer says outsourcing white collar oil jobs makes for a more volatile job market.
- 06/25/2015 - UH report looks at expanding job losses from lower oil prices.
- 06/25/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs says the U.S. needs more natural gas pipelines to keep up with demand.
- 06/25/2015 - UH is an early adopter for new FuelMe app.
- 06/25/2015 - UH analysis says petrochemical plant expansions may keep Houston out of a recession.
- 06/24/2015 - Institute for Regional Forecasting looks at the local impact of low oil prices.
- 06/24/2015 - UH delegation arrives in Wales to strengthen collaborations with Swansea University.
- 06/24/2015 - Economist Bill Gilmer says the shale boom is “temporarily” over, and Houston is caught in the middle.
- 06/23/2015 - UH’s Barton Smith says slumping oilfield equipment sector contributed to a drop in sales tax collections.
- 06/23/2015 - Energy historian Joe Pratt is skeptical that the U.S. trade deficit with OPEC is getting ready to flip.
- 06/22/2015 - New formula created by UH researchers will spur advances in clean energy.
- 06/22/2015 - Former Bauer Global Energy Management Institute board member named president, COO for Key Energy Services.
- 06/22/2015 - Cameron CEO Jack Moore, member of UH Board of Visitors, talks about retirement.
- 06/20/2015 - Bill Gilmer and Praveen Kumar on how lower oil prices are changing company rankings.
- 06/20/2015 - Lower oil prices affect more than just energy companies. UH Law Center's Jacqueline Weaver says law firms feel it, too.
- 06/18/2015 - Economist Bill Gilmer predicts “softness” in Houston real estate market, as city absorbs energy job losses.
- 06/18/2015 - Earth and Atmospheric Sciences professor Julia Smith Wellner on the synergy between academia and industry.
- 06/18/2015 - UH alums look for success with FuelMe app.
- 06/16/2015 - Economist Ed Hirs questions electricity pricing in Texas.
- 06/16/2015 - Economist Bill Gilmer says the oil downturn will slow -- but not stop -- job growth in Houston.
- 06/16/2015 - Engineering professor John Lee discusses the complexities of auditing shale oil reserves.
- 06/12/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs offers a suggestion for energy security.
- 06/12/2015 - UH’s Ramanan Krishnamoorti shared innovative energy workforce training program with Congress.
- 06/11/2015 - New charging station brings solar power to campus.
- 06/11/2015 - UH researchers work on developing advanced materials for energy applications.
- 06/11/2015 - UH alums launch app-based fueling business, changing the way people buy gasoline, one tank at a time.
- 06/09/2015 - Three Canadian students are first graduates of the International Energy Lawyers Program, dual-degree program between UH Law Center and University of Calgary law school.
- 06/09/2015 - Bauer’s Christopher Ross says “buyer beware” for crowdfunding ventures involving energy companies.
- 06/08/2015 - UH alums create Fuel Me, mobile fuel station business, and the university is one of its first customers.
- 06/08/2015 - Houston tops U-Haul’s relocation list, even as oil downturn prompts Bauer economist to lower job creation estimates for 2015.
- 06/08/2015 - Architecture professor Larry Bell considers how Big Oil is responding to the climate change debate.
- 06/05/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs predicts Plains All-American will easily survive California spill.
- 06/05/2015 - Law Center study finds unresolved issues for U.S. and Mexico to work together in the Gulf.
- 06/05/2015 - UH energy advisory board member David Ramm named to board of Alabama Graphite.
- 06/05/2015 - As OPEC meeting opens, energy economist Ed Hirs says Saudi Arabia wants to protect its market share, not punish shale drillers.
- 06/04/2015 - UH receives federal funds for STEM scholarships.
- 06/04/2015 - Study from UH Center for U.S. and Mexican Law finds legal and regulatory issues remain before countries can work together in the Gulf.
- 05/27/2015 - California pipeline spill is relatively small but “is obviously going to be expensive,” says energy economist Ed Hirs.
- 05/27/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs on pipeline risk in earthquake country.
- 05/22/2015 -As oil fouls California coast, UH's Ed Hirs says earthquake risk makes ensuring pipeline safety more difficult.
- 05/22/2015 -Energy economist Ed Hirs on the coming writedown of untapped oil reserves.
- 05/22/2015 -UH research cited in making the case for CNG vehicles.
- 05/21/2015 -UH Energy symposium looks at the coming Crew Change.
- 05/21/2015 -College of Engineering’s Vita Como leaves after 25 years of guiding students into the workplace.
- 05/21/2015 -UH research finds link between declining ozone levels and climate change.
- 05/20/2015 -Energy economist Ed Hirs says too few natural gas pipelines means the Northeastern U.S. is paying more for power, through higher rates and increased greenhouse gas emissions
- 05/20/2015 -Canadian refinery changes its supply sourcing, becoming what energy economist Ed Hirs calls “a merchant refinery,” always in search of the best deal
- 05/18/2015 -UH research shows connection between climate change and dropping ozone levels
- 05/18/2015 -UH researchers find that climate change is linked to lower ozone levels in Houston
- 05/15/2015 -As a strong dollar continues to influence oil prices, energy economist Ed Hirs says that Saudia Arabia is one of the biggest beneficiaries
- 05/14/2015 -Bauer’s Bill Gilmer drops his predictions of expected job growth as Houston’s economy continues to slow down
- 05/14/2015 -UH researchers find that climate change contributed to declining ozone levels
- 05/14/2015 -UH economist Bill Gilmer says the “greatest oil boom ever” is over
- 05/12/2015 -Oil downturn prompts Bauer’s Bill Gilmer to cut his job growth predictions
- 05/12/2015 -Energy economist Ed Hirs on the decline of the man camp
- 05/12/2015 -UH’s Bonnie Dunbar will be among panelists for Houston 2035, looking at how energy, other city industries will evolve
- 05/12/2015 -Developed for the energy industry, UH’s Cumaraswamy Vipulanandan’s “smart” cement has promise for construction, too
- 05/12/2015 -Bill Gilmer, director of the Institute for Regional Forecasting, says low oil prices are unlikely to spark a recession
- 05/12/2015 -As crude prices rise, energy economist Ed Hirs says “Mattress Mack might be sweating it out by Christmas time”
- 05/11/2015 -Online gamers, other “outsiders” offer ideas to energy industry during conference at UH
- 05/11/2015 -Advanced Manufacturing Institute at UH would speed commercialization of superconductors
- 05/11/2015 -UH is working to launch an Advanced Superconductor Manufacturing Institute
- 05/11/2015 -Energy industry looks for fresh ideas at OTC’s new event, held at UH
- 05/08/2015 -Work to commercialize superconductor manufacturing underway at UH
- 05/08/2015 -UH launches plans for Advanced Superconductor Manufacturing Institute
- 05/08/2015 -“Smart” cement developed by UH’s Cumaraswamy Vipulanandan could have applications in construction
- 05/07/2015 -UH’s Cumaraswamy Vipulanandan talks about his “smart” cement at OTC
- 05/06/2015 - UH team wins top prize for idea about solving the “frack water” problem
- 05/05/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs says Pioneer, EOG and other companies will be ready when oil prices stabilize
- 05/05/2015 - UH construction management student Rebecca Done earns nation’s top score on certification test
- 05/04/2015 - New d5 event at UH highlights OTC 2015’s emphasis on innovation, collaboration
- 05/04/2015 - A collaboration between UH, ExxonMobil and Houston Methodist highlights links between energy and medicine
- 05/04/2015 - UH’s Ramanan Krishnamoorti and Chris Ross share some of the hot topics from the Offshore Technology Conference
- 05/04/2015 - Architecture professor Larry Bell takes aim at the movement to divest fossil fuels
- 05/02/2015 - Demand for chemical process engineers in Houston is rising
- 05/02/2015 - Bauer’s Christopher Ross says low oil prices will require collaboration, sure to be a hot topic at OTC
- 05/01/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs says low gas prices may not lead to higher GDP
- 05/01/2015 - UH team wins first prize in Energy Innovation Challenge
- 04/30/2015 - UH’s Jamie Belinne says low oil prices have caused students to shift their career focus to healthcare, technology and other fields
- 04/29/2015 - UH team among five competing in Texas Energy Innovation Challenge
- 04/29/2015 - As tensions rise around the Strait of Hormuz, energy economist Ed Hirs says closing the crucial oil transport passage could force prices up
- 04/27/2015 - Finance professor Craig Pirrong writes that changes in the oil markets have made it more difficult for commodity houses to buy physical assets, like storage tanks and terminals, attractive because they can help avoid the risk of a bottleneck
- 04/27/2015 - Chief Energy Officer Ramanan Krishnamoorti says the science behind the risks of crude-by-rail are well known
- 04/24/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs disputes the notion that the U.S. has become the world’s “swing producer,” because producers here don’t move as a block
- 04/24/2015 - OTC will host new event, d5, at UH next week
- 04/23/2015 - UH’s Ramanan Krishnamoorti tells Congressional subcommittee that partnerships between industry and higher ed can help build energy workforce
- 04/22/2015 - The EnergyMaker's Show - Episode 183: Bauer College of Business Professor Radha Radhakrishnan on Teaching Energy Efficiency
- 04/21/2015 - OTC’s ‘next big thing’ will be at the University of Houston
- 04/21/2015 - UH Engineering’s John Lienhard talks about windmills, a precursor of today’s giant wind turbines
- 04/21/2015 - Martin Melosi, director of the Center for Public History at UH, says oil, gas and petrochemical operations, along with a growing number of vehicles, has made air quality “a consistent problem” for Houston
- 04/21/2015 - “It’s not rocket science,” UH’s Matt Franchek says of deepwater drilling. “Oh no, it’s much more complicated.”
- 04/20/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs says do your homework before investing in oil and gas deals
- 04/20/2015 - Bill Gilmer, director of UH’s Institute for Regional Forecasting, says although Texas job losses won’t be catastrophic, “we’re going to feel it.”
- 04/18/2015 - Chief energy officer Ramanan Krishnamoorti to serve as interim vice chancellor/vice president for research and technology transfer at UH
- 04/17/2015 - UH symposium looks at the shortage of skilled workers for the energy workforce
- 04/17/2015 - UH economist Barton Smith says area economy is slowing, but so far, it’s limited to energy sector
- 04/17/2015 - UH Energy Advisory Board member John Minge says BP has become a safer company after the 2010 oil spill
- 04/17/2015 - UH Law’s David Tiede says consumers complaining of damage from bad diesel may have to file a claim
- 04/16/2015 - The EnergyMakers Show - Episode 181: University of Houston Energy Associaiton student and president Phillip Jeffereson
- 04/14/2015 - Bill Gilmer, director of the Institute for Regional Forecasting, talks about the impact of low oil prices
- 04/10/2015 - Despite drop in oil prices, UH’s Vita Como says engineering graduates remain in demand
- 04/10/2015 - UH hosted the 2015 PetroChallenge, a fun way for students to learn about the industry
- 04/09/2015 - New OTC event at the University of Houston aims to spur innovation
- 04/08/2015 - Chief energy officer Ramanan Krishnamoorti says reducing the risks of crude-by-rail “can be done today.”
- 04/08/2015 - Bauer’s Bill Gilmer suggests oil slowdown will continue through 2015, perhaps leading to a mild recession. Related industries – including construction and natural gas – will do fine
- 04/08/2015 - UH economist Bill Gilmer says workers with specialized skills, such as reservoir engineers or geologists, are less likely to lose their jobs during the industry downturn
- 04/06/2015 - UH’s Larry Bell suggests efforts to move to clean power won’t work
- 04/06/2015 - UH researchers discover new polymer for ultrafast organic battery
- 04/03/2015 - Energy Advisory Board member Michael Krancer says nuclear energy avoids CO2 emissions
- 04/03/2015 - Engineering adjunct Narenda Gosain tells the Houston Business Journal about his history with the Astrodome
- 04/03/2015 - Another possibility for the Astrodome? Partner with UH and Rice to create a solar power generation facility
- 04/02/2015 - The UH Energy Symposium Series ended with a discussion on the future of the energy workforce
- 04/02/2015 - Tracy Hester of the UH Law Center talks about the impacts of climate change with Houston Matters
- 04/02/2015 - UH historian Kairn Klieman talks about the “oil curse” and the geopolitics surrounding the resource
- 04/01/2015 - Subsea engineering adjunct Brian Skeels talks about the use of through-flowline systems, and today’s lower-cost interventions
- 03/25/2015 - “It is one of the easy ways to make money,” Bauer’s Craig Pirrong says of buying oil at cheap prices and storing it to sell later
- 03/24/2015 - How will Houston weather the oil bust? Bill Gilmer of the Institute for Regional Forecasting says it’s complicated
- 03/24/2015 - Bill Gilmer of the Institute for Regional Forecasting told a Bay Area crowd that falling oil prices are to be expected. Predicting when is trickier, he said.
- 03/23/2015 - Certification programs at UH and elsewhere helped launch landmen as crucial components of the oil industry. Now those jobs are disappearing
- 03/23/2015 - Next UH Energy symposium will be held later this month
- 03/23/2015 - Bauer’s Christopher Ross says “buyer beware” about crowdfunding oil and gas exploration
- 03/20/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs says, despite a slight drop, the U.S. dollar remains strong
- 03/19/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs talks with Houston Matters about the future demand for electricity in the Houston area
- 03/17/2015 - Petroleum engineering’s Tom Holley says energy employer interest in students remains strong, despite oil slump
- 03/16/2015 - New OTC event, aimed at sparking innovation, will be held at the University of Houston
- 03/14/2015 - As investors look for bargains in the oil field, UH’s Praveen Kumar says the infusion of cash will give some companies “breathing room.”
- 03/13/2015 - Chief energy officer Ramanan Krishnamoorti discusses risk factors involved in crude-by-rail
- 03/11/2015 - Speaker at UH forum warns that lower oil prices may hurt natural gas export
- 03/11/2015 - UH economist Barton Smith says it’s not yet clear how hard the oil bust will hit the Houston economy
- 03/11/2015 - UH Law Center’s Ronald Turner says companies are limited in what they can say to workers during a labor strike
- 03/10/2015 - Energy Advisory Board member John Hofmeister joins board of environmental tech firm America Greener Technologies
- 03/06/2015 - Despite loss of energy and manufacturing jobs, UH’s Barton Smith says Houston economy remains strong
- 03/05/2015 - UH students build energy-efficient cars for Shell Eco-Marathon
- 03/04/2015 - UH students will compete in Shell Eco-Marathon in Detroit
- 03/04/2015 - New thermoelectric material discovered by UH researchers makes better use of waste heat
- 03/04/2015 - UH College of Technology students rev up for Shell Eco-Marathon
- 03/04/2015 - As companies try to get more out of old wells, UH’s Art Smith says spending $2 million to re-frack a well is “chump change.”
- 03/04/2015 - Finance professor Craig Pirrong comments on proposed rule change involving commodity markets
- 03/04/2015 - UH researchers have developed a new material to produce clean energy
- 03/04/2015 - UH’s Paul Gregory says Vladimir Putin is risking his most lucrative market by building a gas pipeline from Russia to Turkey
- 03/03/2015 - Energy Advisory Board member Mike Krancer shares his views on the complicated issue of enriching nuclear fuel
- 03/03/2015 - Bill Gilmer, director of the Institute for Regional Forecasting, discusses why he believes the downturn sparked by dropping oil prices will be temporary
- 03/02/2015 - Chief energy officer Ramanan Krishnamoorti talks with Oil and Gas Engineering about research at UH
- 03/02/2015 - UH engineering students prepare for an uncertain oil and gas job market
- 01/27/2015 - Bill Gilmer of the Institute for Regional Forecasting says the drop in oil prices “is hardly the end of the world.”
- 01/26/2015 - Veterans from the energy industry say women shouldn’t be discouraged from the business, despite current turbulent times
- 01/26/2015 - Panelists at UH Women in Energy forum say things have improved but hurdles remain
- 01/26/2015 - UH economist Bill Gilmer notes that Houston’s economy is too complex to be defined merely by dropping oil prices, as low energy prices are driving investments at the Port of Houston and the industrial east side
- 01/24/2015 - A study by UH’s Institute for Regional Forecasting resonates across oil country as cities try to determine what dropping oil prices will mean
- 01/23/2015 - Adam Perdue of the Institute for Regional Forecasting says job losses in the energy sector will offset some of the benefits of lower gasoline prices
- 01/23/2015 - EPA general counsel will kick off UH Law Center Energy, Environment & Natural Resources Center spring speaker series
- 01/23/2015 - UH bid to host offshore energy research center named “Deal of the Week” by Houston Business Journal
- 01/23/2015 - UH Law Center’s Ted Borrego tells Bloomberg that one-day production tests can be misleading
- 01/22/2015 - Deepwater Horizon penalties will fund offshore research center at University of Houston
- 01/22/2015 - UH to launch offshore energy research center
- 01/21/2015 - Research universities, including UH, will benefit from oil spill penalties
- 01/21/2015 - University of Houston will lead subsea engineering research center
- 01/21/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs on Delta Airlines’ bad refining bet
- 01/21/2015 - Chief Energy Officer Ramanan Krishnamoorti says the new Subsea Systems Institute will work to prevent oil spills without stalling exploration
- 01/20/2015 - UH will lead offshore energy research center to make deepwater drilling safer
- 01/20/2015 - University of Houston to head offshore energy research center
- 01/20/2015 - UH named to lead one of two Centers of Excellence for offshore energy research
- 01/20/2015 - UH to lead offshore energy research center
- 01/20/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs talks with Bloomberg about the sudden retirement of longtime Apache CEO Steven Farris
- 01/20/2015 - UH to lead national research center funded by BP fines for 2010 oil spill
- 01/20/2015 - UH-led Subsea Systems Institute will work to improve deep-sea drilling safety
- 01/20/2015 - Finance professor Craig Pirrong talks about a new trend among oil traders – buying oil at today’s low prices and storing it in giant tankers, hoping to sell later when prices rise
- 01/20/2015 - Two big oil projects began pumping this week, something Bauer professor Chris Ross said offers an example of how difficult it is for producers to time projects to the market
- 01/19/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs says Keystone XL isn’t a threat to oil from Alaska’s North Slope
- 01/19/2015 - UH to lead a research center funded by money Texas received after the BP oil spill
- 01/16/2015 - UH hosts PetroChallenge to help interest a new generation of energy industry workers
- 01/15/2015 - UH and ADA University in Azerbaijan sign memorandum of cooperation, with focus on energy
- 01/14/2015 - Bill Gilmer, director of the Institute for Regional Forecasting, says lower oil prices will result in layoffs
- 01/14/2015 - Economist Bill Gilmer says the drop in prices at the pump may suck some of the growth out of Houston’s economy
- 01/14/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs says the Saudis are in a great position for any oil price war
- 01/13/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs says oil service companies are feeling the pinch as their customers cut costs in light of falling oil prices
- 01/13/2015 - Energy Advisory Board member Elizabeth Killinger, president of Reliant and NRG Retail, talks about the challenges facing women in STEM
- 01/09/2015 - Finance professor Praveen Kumar talked with Houston Chronicle business columnist Chris Tomlinson about the risks of investment structures created to raise capital for renewable energy asset
- 01/07/2015 - UH Energy Advisory Board member Mike Krancer writes that the latest guidelines from the Commerce Department may signal movement in the effort to export oil
- 01/07/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs tells Russian broadcaster RT that lower oil prices and associated mergers will lead to a slowdown in technological breakthroughs for the industry
- 01/07/2015 - Bauer’s Christopher Ross discusses falling oil prices on Houston Matters. “The challenge is to bring costs down so people can make money at $50 a barrel.”
- 01/06/2015 - Don’t blame oil prices for a drooping stock market, but energy economist Ed Hirs says they still will hurt Houston’s economy
- 01/05/2015 - Energy economist Ed Hirs tells KUHF it doesn’t take much boost in supply to push oil prices down
back to top
- 11/27/2014 - RigZone covers the UH Energy Symposium debate on the nation’s energy infrastructure
- 11/27/2014 - Energy economist Ed Hirs says many U.S. energy firms engaged in fracking won’t be able to make a profit at lower oil prices
- 11/25/2014 - Economist Bill Gilmer talks about the links between oil prices and Houston’s economy
- 11/24/2014 - Is fracking a fad? Energy economist Ed Hirs tells Marketplace radio low oil prices may slow the frantic pace of drilling
- 11/24/2014 - UT sociologist Jennifer Glass visited UH to talk about the barriers to women in STEM. Here she talks with KUHF reporter Laura Isensee about that
- 11/21/2014 - Vita Como, director of the engineering career center, says specialty engineering jobs are in demand in shale drilling areas
- 11/21/2014 - UH’s Craig Pirrong talks with KUHF’s Andrew Schneider about the Halliburton/Baker Hughes merger
- 11/20/2014 - UH's Petroleum Engineering professor Christine Ehlig-Economides wins SPE Innovative Teaching Award
- 11/20/2014 - Bill Gilmer, director of the Institute for Regional Forecasting, predicts the region’s white-hot economy will cool if oil prices stay low
- 11/20/2014 - Economist Bill Gilmer says falling oil prices could hurt Houston’s economy
- 11/19/2014 - UH Energy sponsors competition to get design ideas flowing HISD’s Energy Institute High School
- 11/19/2014 - HISD’s Energy Institute High School partners with UH Energy and the student Energy Association to gather design ideas for its new building
- 11/18/2014 - Energy economist Ed Hirs on the job impact from the Halliburton-Baker Hughes merger
- 11/17/2014 - Canadian blogpost takes a cue from UH finance professor Craig Pirrong, aka the Streetwise Professor, on Keystone XL
- 11/17/2014 - Finance professor Praveen Kumar says the oil price slump that pushed oil services merger could also hinder its profitability
- 11/17/2014 - Fate of oil service companies reflects history of the industry; historian Joe Pratt helps explain the ties
- 11/17/2014 - Bauer’s Craig Pirrong talks with Fox26 about the merger between Halliburton and Baker Hughes
- 11/17/2014 - UH economist Bill Gilmer says job cuts from the Halliburton-Baker Hughes merger may be especially pronounced in Houston
- 11/17/2014 - Space architecture professor Larry Bell critiques President Obama’s climate change deal with China
- 11/16/2014 - After House approval, energy economist Ed Hirs says approving Keystone XL is in the national interest
- 11/16/2014 - After a deadly chemical leak at a LaPorte plant, energy economist Ed Hirs tells the New York Times that problems at any chemical plant can quickly cause a fatal accident
- 11/16/2014 - Finance professor Praveen Kumar suggests Baker Hughes strategy may force Halliburton to raise its offer. (It worked. The deal closed just hours later for $34 million.)
- 11/16/2014 - Baker Hughes Chief Strategy Officer Derek Mathieson and the Kellogg School’s Peter Bryant write about the energy paradox – desperately needed but little understood
- 11/15/2014 - Energy programs at UH have helped lead the way to the university’s ambitious rise in academic performance and research
- 11/15/2014 - UH finance experts offer insight as Halliburton’s takeover attempt for Baker Hughes turns hostile
- 11/14/2014 - Finance professor Craig Pirrong explains how changes since the recession have affected oil trading
- 11/14/2014 - Energy economist Ed Hirs predicts federal approval of LNG export licenses will continue
- 11/13/2014 - Energy economist Ed Hirs tells Bloomberg a proposed merger between Halliburton and Baker Hughes could make it easier to operate during a slump in oil prices
- 11/12/2014 - UH’s Joe Pratt writes that drilling in the Cook Inlet 60 years ago foreshadowed the difficulties the industry would face as it moved above the Arctic Circle
- 11/12/2014 - Executive finance professor Chris Ross predicts that oil prices will rise again, but not anytime soon
- 11/12/2014 - Speakers at UH Energy symposium agree on one thing: energy is more than just Keystone XL
- 11/12/2014 - Dropping oil prices have all eyes on OPEC, but finance professor Craig Pirrong says he doubts Saudi Arabia is using predatory pricing to drive shale drillers out of business
- 11/11/2014 - UH’s Barry Lefer suggested in a debate that Congress lacks the political will to act on climate change
- 11/10/2014 - Finance professor Craig Pirrong told Radio Free Europe that Gennady Timchenko’s divestment from Gunvor is unlikely to stop a U.S. investigation
- 11/07/2014 - Bauer finance professor Chris Ross tells KUHF he is “relatively optimistic” that falling oil prices will be short-lived
- 11/06/2014 - Finance professor Craig Pirrong on the impact a federal investigation and its own past will have on Gunvor Group
- 11/06/2014 - Bauer’s Chris Ross talks with Andrea Watkins from Fox 26 about the Keystone XL Pipeline
- 11/06/2014 - Many shale drillers say they can outlast OPEC, but UH’s Ed Hirs says they can’t afford a price war
- 11/06/2014 - Energy economist Ed Hirs explains BHP Billiton’s decision to export condensate, despite the U.S. ban on oil exports
- 11/05/2014 - Finance professor Chris Ross talks about the fracking ban in Denton. The game isn’t over, he said, “but nobody really wants a drilling rig in their back yard.”
- 11/05/2014 - Law Center’s Marcilynn Burke talks with the Houston Chronicle about the legal challenges to the fracking ban approved by voters in Denton
- 11/05/2014 - How EOG became the Apple of oil – UH’s Ed Hirs says the company is especially adept at acquiring land. Via @bradnews
- 11/05/2014 - Game over for the fracking boom? Energy economist Ed Hirs tells Forbes that wells’ rapid drop in production means a drilling slowdown will quickly affect overall U.S. output
- 11/05/2014 - Energy economist Ed Hirs suggests the strength of the dollar is partly to blame for dropping oil prices
- 11/04/2014 - Energy economist Ed Hirs says falling oil prices are making bankers nervous about loans to companies working in shale
- 11/04/2014 - Bill Gilmer, director of the Institute for Regional Forecasting at UH, says eventual cutbacks in drilling will filter down throughout Houston’s economy
- 11/01/2014 - UH Energy Symposium Series spotlighted in an interview with UH energy advisory board chair Dave Ramm on Comcast NewsMakers
- 11/01/2014 - The Energy University: UH's Ambitious Plan to Wed Industry, Education, Research
back to top
- 10/31/2014 - UH’s fast-growing Petroleum Engineering program gets a shout-out from Welsh former first minister Rhodri Morgan
- 10/29/2014 - Energy economist Ed Hirs talks about Anadarko and KKR & Co. teaming up to return to the once-prolific East Texas oil fields
- 10/27/2014 - Energy economist talks with KPRC about the mixed blessings for Houston of falling oil prices
- 10/24/2014 - How prepared is Houston for dropping oil prices? UH economist Bill Gilmer says the city is still heavily focused on the oil industry
- 10/24/2014 - Drilling may still be profitable at lower prices, but UH economist Bill Gilmer says “it’s not going to be nearly as much fun.”
- 10/23/2014 - There’s a price to pay for dropping crude oil prices. UH’s Ed Hirs and Don Van Nieuwenhuise explain
- 10/23/2014 - New deepwater oil discoveries will require complex engineering to extract the oil at a reasonable price. Energy economist Ed Hirs notes that “if something goes wrong, it goes wrong in a big way
- 10/22/2014 - Political scientist Brandon Rottinghaus parses the difference in candidates for the Texas Railroad Commission
- 10/22/2014 - Will shipping power to Mexico mean more outages in Texas? Energy economist Ed Hirs says it might require some form of higher compensation to keep the lights on here
- 10/22/2014 - UH Researcher wins $1.5 million federal grant to create novel solar cells
- 10/22/2014 - UH economists Bill Gilmer and Barton Smith say $100 oil and spike in natural gas prices helped drive massive job growth over the past decade
- 10/22/2014 - Energy economist Ed Hirs on dropping oil prices and high-cost hydraulic fracturing
- 10/21/2014 - Arctic Business Conference, co-sponsored by UH Energy, considers technologies from other fields
- 10/21/2014 - Energy Day highlights need for STEM education, trained workforce
- 10/20/2014 - Energy economist Ed Hirs on the upside of dropping crude oil prices. Money in consumers’ pockets
- 10/18/2014 - Chief Energy Officer Ramanan Krishnimoorti says energy companies are now keenly aware of safety risks
- 10/17/2014 - Energy economist Ed Hirs, on the growing supplies of U.S. crude oil and the impact on prices, especially on West Texas Intermediate
- 10/17/2014 - Energy economist Ed Hirs on opportunities for deals spurred by dropping oil prices
- 10/17/2014 - High debt load may hurt independent producers as oil prices fall, energy economist Ed Hirs says
- 10/14/2014 - Bauer economist Adam Perdue talks about the good and bad of falling oil prices for Houston’s economy
- 10/12/2014 - UH professor Barry Lefer says wet weather has kept Houston’s smog levels lower this year
- 10/10/2014 - Bauer’s Praveen Kumar says investors who face tax bills under the complex Kinder Morgan deal won’t necessarily win in court
- 10/09/2014 - Petroleum engineering’s John Lee on companies reporting differing reserves to investors and the SEC
- 10/08/2014 - UH Engineering Majors Ranked 15th in US for Earning Potential
- 10/07/2014 - UH Law Center helps train foreign students in an effort to bridge the 'energy gap'
- 10/06/2014 - UH breaks ground on multimillion dollar research center
- 10/06/2014 - Shell Oil Company commits $3.5 million to the University of Houston in support of the new Multidisciplinary Research and Engineering Building and other educational initiatives
- 10/04/2014 - Falling oil prices hasn’t hurt production yet, but energy economist Ed Hirs says they may, eventually
- 10/03/2014 - Jamie Belinne and Vita Como of UH career services at Bauer and the Cullen College of Engineering talk with the Houston Chronicle about energy companies’ efforts to attract more women
- 10/03/2014 - UH chief energy officer Ramanan Krishnamoorti named in Houston Business Journal's 2014 Who's Who in Energy
- 10/01/2014 - UH energy economist Ed Hirs’ provocative position at the UH Energy Symposium draws attention, and pushback from other speakers
back to top
- 09/30/2014 - Different perspectives power first debate in 2014-15 UH Energy Symposium Series
- 09/29/2014 - This year’s UH Engineering Career Fair was the largest yet
- 09/27/2014 - UH energy economist Ed Hirs says the new state seismologist, as a landowner and mineral owner, should be in favor of making sure drilling is done correctly
- 09/24/2014 - UH finance professor Craig Pirrong on Asian efforts to disengage LNG prices from oil prices
- 09/23/2014 - Finance professor Chris Ross talks about the potential impact of Syrian airstrikes on the price of oil
- 09/22/2014 - Finance professor Chris Ross says energy regulations in Europe likely helped fuel Siemens’ purchase of Dresser-Rand
- 09/21/2014 - UH chemist Eric Bittner comments on new solar cell research
- 09/19/2014 - Energy, engineering, construction combine to give Houston economy “a green light,” according to UH economist Barton Smith
- 09/19/2014 - The Houston Chronicle’s Ryan Holeywell visited UH’s Engineering Career Fair
- 09/18/2014 - Wolff Center for Entrepreneurship’s REEcycle looks ahead to life as a startup
- 09/18/2014 - UH Law Center’s Susan Sakmar talks about how an agreement between BP and Japan’s largest electric utility will help Japan benefit by diversifying its supply of LNG
- 09/17/2014 - Subsea engineering founder and director Matthew Franchek says today’s deepwater drillers are like the early space explorers, pioneers going where no one had gone before
- 09/16/2014 - Susan Sakmar of the UH Law Center talked about the growth of proposed LNG projects, all targeting the Asian market
- 09/14/2014 - In a commentary for Forbes, economics professor Paul Gregory writes that latest round of Russian sanctions caught Putin off-guard and allowed China to shop for bargains
- 09/12/2014 - Bauer Business Focus: Ramanan Krishnamoorti on Training New Energy Workers
- 09/10/2014 - The playhouse built by students in the UH Department of Construction Management and donated to Child Advocates of Montgomery County will be auctioned off this weekend
- 09/10/2014 - Susan Sakmar, visiting assistant professor at the UH Law Center, talks with Mother Jones about the difficulty of exporting the shale revolution to other parts of the world
- 09/09/2014 - Chief Energy Officer Ramanan Krishnamoorti says plans to replace water in hydraulic fracturing with liquid nitrogen may be premature
- 09/09/2014 - UH Law Center’s Bret Wells helps to explain flaring in the Eagle Ford Shale
- 09/07/2014 - Energy economist Ed Hirs weighs in on Halcon Resources’ dropping stock price, and discrepancies between proved reserves and resource potential
- 09/05/2014 - UH energy economist Ed Hirs talks with Bloomberg News about the latest ruling in the BP oil spill case
- 09/05/2014 - Society for Women Engineers Travel to Brazil for 'One Day in Engineering'
- 09/03/2014 - UH President Discusses Issues Facing Higher Education Today on Houston Matters
- 09/02/2014 - Bauer Executive MBA Students Bring Potential Energy Solutions to Lithuania
- 09/01/2014 - RigZone talks with UH Subsea Engineering founder Matt Franchek
back to top
back to top
back to top
back to top
- 05/30/2014 - Energy economist Ed Hirs on rising wholesale prices in Texas’ electricity market
- 05/30/2014 - UH's Don Van Nieuwenhuise explains surging production in the Permian
- 05/29/2014 - The EnergyMakers Show - Episode 136: Dr. Michael Harold, University of Houston
- 05/28/2014 - Energy historian Joe Pratt offers perspective on the shale revolution
- 05/27/2014 - Ocean Energy Safety Institute’s first event at UH highlighted in article about increased focus on offshore safety
- 05/23/2014 - Bauer’s Bill Gilmer says energy jobs have jumped more than expected this year
- 05/19/2014 - Bauer Students Win First and Fourth at ConocoPhillips Competition
- 05/16/2014 - UH economist Barton Smith says as energy industry cools, jobs in other sectors are picking up the slack
- 05/15/2014 - U of H's Quoz Capital Will Channel Foreign Investment into Startups
- 05/15/2014 - Partnership aims to turn UH energy research park into next Silicon Valley
- 05/13/2014 - Bauer Students Make International Impact
- 05/12/2014 - Physicist Zhifeng Ren’s work highlighted in publication
- 05/12/2014 - Ocean Energy Safety Institute pulls industry representatives together at UH for focus on safety and corporate culture
- 05/12/2014 - Human errors account for 80% of offshore accidents, exec says at UH conference
- 05/09/2014 - UH Energy Advisory Board Member Derek Mathieson's Commentary: Exciting trends in tech are ultra deep
- 05/08/2014 - Jamie Belinne, assistant dean of career services for UH’s Bauer College of Business, offers networking tips
- 05/08/2014 - UH physicist Zhifeng Ren reports discovery of new thermoelectric material
- 05/07/2014 - UH researchers report their discovery of a new high-efficiency thermoelectric material
- 05/07/2014 - Energy economist Ed Hirs talks with Bloomberg about EOG’s move into the Rocky Mountain shale
- 05/07/2014 - UH’s subsea engineering program announced a global effort at this week’s Offshore Technology Conference
- 05/05/2014 - UH experts explain why OTC is important to Houston
- 05/05/2014 - Tom Holley, director of the Petroleum Engineering program, discussed OTC on Houston Matters
- 05/04/2014 - Jamie Belline, an assistant dean at Bauer College of Business, offered tips on landing a job during OTC
- 05/02/2014 - Vita Como, director of professional development in the Cullen College of Engineering, says engineers are in demand for alternative energy jobs
- 05/01/2014 - Chief energy officer Ramanan Krishnamoorti says UH will promote a graduate program in upstream safety at OTC
back to top
back to top
back to top
back to top
back to top
back to top
back to top
back to top
back to top
back to top