2015 Scholarship Applications Due March 13, 2015
The joint application for the 2015-2016 University of Houston Staff Council, and the Women and Gender Resource Center (formerly University Commission on Women) Scholarships is now available online.
- Be employed in a benefits-eligible position at the University of Houston campus for at least one year as of March 1, 2014.
- Have completed at least six hours of undergraduate or graduate credits for evaluation.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Have demonstrated a strong commitment to academic excellence and potential to succeed.
For more details, visit www.uh.edu/sc/scholarships.
2014 Award Recipients
- Susan Kellogg, History, CLASS, UCW Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award, Post-Tenure
- Cecilia Williams, Biology & Biochemistry, NSM, UCW Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award, Pre-Tenure
- Lisa Alastuey, Health and Human Performance, CLASS, UCW Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award, Clinical Faculty
- Lisa Robertson, Executive Director of External Relations and Strategic Partnerships, Cullen College of Engineering, UCW Staff Award for Distinguished Service to Women
- Phoenicia Fares, MA student in Sociology, CLASS, UCW Student Award for Distinguished Service to Women
2013 Award and Scholarship Recipients
The University Commission on Women (UCW) is pleased to announce its 2013 awards and scholarships presented to faculty, students and staff. The commission congratulates all of its awardees and applicants on their outstanding accomplishments in, and contributions to, the University of Houston community and beyond.
The faculty awards are presented to pre-tenure and post-tenure professors who demonstrate a solid record of representative scholarly activity and productivity, which contributes to, and impacts, their discipline.
The pool of applicants for the Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award - Pre-Tenure was so outstanding that the commission had a tie and named two recipients:
- Dr. Samantha Kwan, Assistant Professor of Sociology
- Dr. Debora Frigi Rodrigues, Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering
The Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award - Post-Tenure was presented to Dr. Rebecca E. Lee, Health and Human Performance Professor and Director of the Texas Obesity Research Center.
Each year the commission presents a Distinguished Service to Women Award to a staff member and a student who demonstrate both commitment and contributions to the advancement and support of women. The Distinguished Service to Women Award for Staff was presented to Carol Barr, Assistant Director, Department of English. Melissa Torres, doctoral candidate in the Graduate College of Social Work received the Distinguished Service to Women Award for a Student.
The UCW is pleased to award five staff tuition scholarships every year for UH staff members who are advancing their careers by pursing higher education.
The scholarship recipients for Graduate Studies are:
- Celena Flores, Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
- Andrew Kapral, Department of Physics
- Judy Vo, C. T. Bauer College of Business
- Maria Wilson, Graduate College of Social Work
The scholarship recipient for Undergraduate Study is Eleanor Weaver, College of Education, Undergraduate Studies.
The UCW is a presidentially appointed commission, and is charged with identifying issues and areas of concern to women among faculty, students and staff. To learn more about the commission, its scholarships and awards, visit http://www.uh.edu/ucw/index.php.
Carol Barr, Distinguished Service to Women for Staff recipient; Dr. Amanda Baumle,
UCW Faculty Co-Chair; Dr. Beverly McPhail, UCW Co-Secretary; Melissa Torres,
Distinguished Service to Women for Student recipient; and Rebecca Szwarc, UCW
Co-Secretary pose at a recent monthly meeting of the commission.
| Dr. Samantha Kwan,
Assistant Professor of Sociology,
Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award-Pre-Tenure
Dr. Rebecca E. Lee,