Intention: To recognize efforts that support and contribute to women’s advancement or opportunity on the UH campus. The Difference-Maker Award recognizes formal or informal efforts – “small deeds” that are incidental, yet are important ways that include one or more of the following:
- Supports the University Commission on Women’s programs, events and research
- Supports policies that benefit women and families
- Supports gender inclusiveness and equity, including LGBT outreach, advocacy and programs
- Supports gender equity for students, faculty, staff and/or children on campus
This recognition honors those UH community members who demonstrate their commitment to gender equity by going the “extra mile.” No monetary amount accompanies this award.
Examples: May include, but are not limited to:
- serving as a mentor and/or role model for women
- serving as an advocate in a class discussion about LGBT issues
- making a contribution to women’s advancement or opportunity
- assisting a student with locating childcare
- addressing issues and giving support related to women on campus, that otherwise may not be part of the individual’s responsibility
- financially supporting (through their own choice and financial means) a University Commission on Women activity that otherwise would not be funded
- voluntarily using his/her position to advocate on behalf of a policy or program that would have important benefits for women and/or families
Who: Any UH community member – faculty, staff, student, administrator – whose behavior or action(s) further the University Commission on Women’s main goal of supporting gender equity at UH.
When: Awards issued on an ongoing basis, as nominations received
How: Through August 2013, nominators are limited to UCW members as part of a pilot program for the Difference-Maker Awards. UCW members will complete an online nomination form here. The Difference-Maker Committee will vote to determine award recipients.
What: Awards will be published by:
- emailing an electronic, printable certificate to the recipient(s)
- announcing the recipient(s) at UCW monthly meetings and on the UCW listserv
- including recipient(s) on the UCW webpage
- notifying the recipient’s (or recipients’) direct supervisor(s) of the award