'Salute to Nursing' Recognizes UH's Cheryl Brohard
Cheryl Brohard, assistant professor in the UH College of Nursing, has been named a “2018 Salute to Nurses Top 15” winner. The award comes from the Houston Chronicle and the American Nurses Association as part of a recognition of heroes of the nursing industry. Read more …
UH System Board of Regents Elects New Slate of Officers
The UH System Board of Regents has elected its new slate of officers for fiscal year 2018-2019. The board re-elected Tilman J. Fertitta as chair and elected, for the first time, Peter K. Taaffe as vice chair and Paula M. Mendoza as secretary. Read more …
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month
Each April, UH Wellness observes Sexual Assault Awareness Month with campuswide special events to teach the community ways to step up and prevent all acts of violence. Read more …
Faculty & Staff News
- Bill Sarpalius will discuss his new book, his life after public office and today’s state of politics in a conversation hosted by the UH Hobby School of Public Affairs, where Sarpalius is a research associate. Discover more.
- Provost Paula Myrick Short announced the selection of Sarah Larsen for the position of Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School. Her appointment begins July 24. Discover more.
- Maria Marquez (’11, Ph.D. ’17) synthesizes and characterizes materials with “nano-Teflon” properties that could be used in corrosion inhibition and lubrication. Marquez is the research lab manager for T. Randall Lee, Cullen Distinguished University Chair and associate dean of research for the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. Learn more.
- Scientists at the UH are developing systems to augment a surgeon’s expertise with detailed imaging and surgical assistance. Nikolaos Tsekos, associate professor of computer science in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (center), is involved in a multidisciplinary and multi-institutional collaboration developing this system. Find more.
- The Health Law & Policy Institute at the UH Law Center recently hosted a workshop focused on employment law to give junior faculty the opportunity to present their work-in-progress and discuss it with colleagues from across the country. Read more.
- The UH Law Center ranked No. 5 among 116 law schools in the ratio of student debt to pay out after graduation, according to a survey of the 2016-2017 school year conducted by Student Loan Hero. Learn more.
- A partnership between the C. T. Bauer College of Business and The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston School of Public Health will deliver health care leadership and management training across Texas. The partnership will also create the opportunity to provide customized programs for hospitals and health care facilities throughout Texas. Discover more.
- The Assistant Professor Excellence Series is intended to showcase the breadth and depth of groundbreaking research, scholarship and creative activity being undertaken by UH early career faculty across disciplines. Nominations for speakers is open through May 1. Eligible nominees include: full-time tenure track, research, clinical, and instructional faculty at the assistant professor rank and assistant librarians. Apply today.
- The University’s POWER UP Employee Wellness program invites employees to a stress management workshop at noon, Thursday, April 26 in the EDR Pavilion on the second floor of the M.D. Anderson Library. Learn how to identify individual stress factors and various relaxation exercises to help to reduce stress and improve overall quality of life. Register now.
- Are you a UH employee who plans to attend degree or job-related academic credit classes this year at UH? If so, Staff Council, in conjunction with The Women and Gender Resource Center, is accepting FY2019 staff scholarship applications. The deadline to submit a complete application package is Friday, May 4. Apply here.