SHRM Learning System™ Course
- How do I know if I qualify to take the PHR/SPHR exam?
- How do I know if I am ready to take the PHR/SPHR certification exam?
- How often does the University of Houston offer the SHRM learning course?
- Who can attend the UH-SHRM Learning course?
- Will I be certified upon completion of the course?
- Will I pass the PHR/SPHR certification exam if I take the SHRM Learning Course?
- Will this course require much studying and preparation?
- Is this course offered at any of the other University of Houston campuses?
- Do you offer the SHRM Essential and/or the GPHR?
- Do SHRM and/or HR Houston members receive a tuition discount?
- Do you offer tuition payment plans?
- Do you accept financial aid?
- Are the 6 SHRM modules mine to keep?
- The SHRM modules speak of a CD, how come I do not have a CD?
For details about qualifications for and other questions about the certification exam, please visit www.hrci.org.
It is highly recommended that you take the online exam sponsored by HRCIStudy. Your score results will help you determine your level of readiness. Please note: If you take the exam in the 4 hour allotted time frame, the exam is free. If you need additional time to take the exam, you can purchase time blocks from HRCIStudy. Please visit the following website for more details about the online practice certification exam.
The SHRM learning course is offered every fall and spring semester.
The course is open to anyone regardless of their HR background. However, please be aware that are certain restrictions for the PHR/SPHR certification exam.
This is simply a "test preparation" course. You must take and pass the PHR/SPHR certification exam through HRCI in order to earn your certification.
There is no guarantee that you will pass the certification exam by taking the SHRM Learning Course. However, it will increase your chances of passing if you actively participate in classroom discussions, assignments, and study regularly.
Yes. Due to the difficulty of the level of information and the comprehensive nature of the certification exam, the student is expected to dedicate additional time for studying.
The SHRM Learning System is only offered at the main University of Houston campus located on 4800 Calhoun.
We do not currently offer the SHRM Essentials or the GPHR. However, we are looking into offering both courses in the near future.
SHRM and/or HR Houston members do not receive a tuition discount. The University of Houston's tuition rate is competitive to other institutions.
We do not offer tuition payment plans. Payment is due in full at the time of registration.
Student financial aid plans such as loans, grants, scholarships, Hazlewood, etc. do not apply to this course. This is due to this being a test preparation course which does not fit the definition for a course that qualifies for financial aid. However, we do accept payments from employers and/or corporate sponsors.
UPDATE 3/2009: Sallie Mae now offers student loans to pay for professional development and continuing education courses. Please visit Sallie Mae's website for more information at: https://www.salliemae.com/get_student_loan/find_student_loan/training_loans/ Please note that all course fees must still be paid prior to the start of the course. For more information as to how to apply the Sallie Mae loan to the SHRM Learning course, please contact our office of financial aid at 713.743.1010 option 3.
Yes. The 6 SHRM modules are yours to keep.
SHRM allows the educational institution to utilize the supplemental learning system via online or with a CD. The University of Houston utilizes the online service rather than the CD.