The University of Houston College of Technology honored its undergraduate and graduate students receiving their degrees. On May 9, 2018 a reception was held at the University of Houston Hilton Hotel, celebrating the achievements of 720 students along with family and friends.
The Dean’s Medal of Academic Excellence is awarded to the highest ranking students in the college, graduating with a 4.0 GPA with in the final 6 hours in residence at the university. Accompanied by a $1,000 prize, the award was given to three students: Kristin Cobb, Judith Hrap, and Chris Nguyen.
Tony Minh Hoang and David Zuniga were named the Outstanding Engineering Technology Students accompanied by a $ 1,000 prize from the department.
Mudit M. Singh and Nima Mirzaeian were recognized as Outstanding Graduate Students and received a $500 award.
D’Juan Hines was recognized for his achievements; he received his B.S. in Retail & Consumer Science, a Master’s in Global Retailing, and has been signed to the Los Angeles Chargers in the NFL.
The banner bearer award is given to the highest performing students in each department, who have the honor of leading graduates into Commencement ceremonies:
- Chris Nguyen – Overall Honorary Banner Bearer, B.S. in Computer Information Systems
- Ansupah Dash – Graduate Studies Banner Bearer, B.S. in Technology Project Management
- Andrew Mendoza – Construction Management Banner Bearer, B.S. in Construction Management
- Tony Minh Hoang – Engineering Technology Banner Bearer, B.S. in Computer Engineering Technology
- Piya – Human Development & Consumer Sciences, B.S. in Human Resource Development
- Kristin Cobb – Information & Logistics Technology Banner Bearer, B.S. in Organizational Leadership & Supervision
An uplifting closing message was made by the president of the UH Technology Alumni Association Dave Garza, along with his father Dan Garza, both alumni of the college.