Successful completion of an approved internship is a graduation requirement. The internship program complements classroom learning by exposing students to various construction management functions on real-life projects. Students must complete a minimum of 400 hours of verifiable work experience prior to enrolment in the internship course (CNST 3185).
The internship experience must be gained working for an approved employer. The list of approved employers includes all the Industry Advisory Board member companies and this additional list. In addition, all government agencies are automatically approved as internship employers. Working for other employers will result in denying the request to enroll in CNST 3185. Residential contractors and specialty contractors are NOT approved internship employers.
The internship experience must be in construction management to complement the CM curriculum. Namely, the experience should be in supervisory field operations, project controls (i.e., estimating, scheduling, and cost control), or contract administration. Manual labor, trades work, technician jobs, manufacturing, sales, drafting, and other similar activities do NOT satisfy the internship experience.
More details are provided in the Course Syllabus.
- Students must complete the course prerequisites for CNST 3185.
- Students must secure an internship opportunity with an approved employer as stated above.
- Students must complete at least 400 hours of work before attempting to enroll in CNST 3185.
- Students must complete the online form to initiate the enrollment process in CNST 3185.
- Students must follow up with his/her employer to complete the Intern Evaluation Form provided to the employer by the Department. The employer must complete the Internship Evaluation Form no later than July 31 for fall semester enrollment and December 31 for spring semester enrollment.
- Once the Intern Evaluation Form is submitted by your employer, students must contact Dr. Lingguang Song at firstname.lastname@example.org to request enrollment in CNST 3185.