Our office provides a wide range of resources to support teaching and learning with Technology. The links below are to supported systems, tools and softwares.
- Respondus - Respondus is a Windows desktop application for creating and managing quizzes that allows the bulk import of multiple choice, true-false, paragraph, short answer, matching, and multiple-choice questions from a text (.txt) or rich-text (.rtf) file. You can also import images and HTML with your questions. Once in Repondus, the questions can be published directly to your Blackboard Learn course.
- Respondus Lockdown Browser - Respondus LockDown Browser provides additional security that prevents students from printing, copying, browsing the web or accessing other applications during an online assessment via Blackboard.
- Turnitin - Turnitin is an online anti-plagiarism service which compares student submissions to millions of websites and papers submitted for exact matches. Instructors can verify if students properly cited their sources. The reports are integrated into the Assignments tool in blackboard. Turnitin can be used also as a stand-alone product.
- TurningPoints Clickers - A tool that allows instructors to evaluate class comprehension or retention of complex material. It creates an interactive learning experience by polling students. The tool integrates with Blackboard, allowing students to register their clickers online and response data to be uploaded into the grade center.
- Blackboard Collaborate - A web conferencing tool available through Blackboard. It brings audio, video, whiteboard, text, application sharing and more into your live online classes. the tool can be used for both synchronous (live) and asynchronous (recorded) sessions. Collaborate has also an app that allows students on the go to join synchronous sessions or view recorded sessions from their phone or mobile device.
- Mediasite - Mediasite is a lecture-capture software. it is a presentation tool that allows instructors to make live digital recordings of lectures or presentations. Students can view the presentation over the internet in real-time and/or can access the presentation for viewing at a later date. Once Mediasite presentation are created and uploaded to the UH Mediasite server, they can easily be added to any Blackboard course.
Screencasting/Screen Capture Tools
A screencast is a digital video recording of a screen often accompanied by audio narration. Often used to create video tutorials or lectures, the video output can be enhanced by the platform’s editing capabilities, which can include highlighting, outlining, text and supplementary imagery.
A Screencapture tool allow you to take a picture of your screen or a portion of the screen and save as an image. You can use screen captures in your presentation.
- Camtasia Studio - (PC or Mac) - Camtasia software allows you to record, narrate, and annotate PowerPoints. Camtasia lets you also add titles, captions, callouts, transitions, cursor highlights, and many other effects. You can delete sections, zoom in on specific portions of the screen, and perform other edits. There's also a plug-in that lets you record your slides and narrations directly from PowerPoint. Camtasia does not impose any time or size limits. However, we recommend limiting videos to a maximum of 10 minutes in length. Videos created with Camtasia can be saved in multiple format types and uploaded to YouTube or Blackboard Learn. Camtasia tutorials can be found at http://www.techsmith.com/tutorial.html
- Snagit - (PC or Mac) - A versatile and easy-to-use screen capture program to capture still shots or screen recordings from your computer. You can capture your entire screen, a specific window, or a custom region. You can even capture an entire scrolling window all at once. You can get Snagit bundled with Camtasia Studio, or purchase it alone. Tutorials are available at: http://www.techsmith.com/tutorial.html
- Jing - A free, downloadable screen capturing tool from TechSmith, the makers of Snagit. Jing gives you the ability to take screenshots and recording. You can also add arrows, text, and highlights to your screencaptures to enhance your image. Tutorials are available at:https://www.techsmith.com/tutorial-jing.html
Our office supports a number of software tools that can help enhance teaching and learning in the classroom and/or online. These applications allow you to capture and manipulate media on your computer, and even develop it into interactive presentations. We can help you choose the best tools for your needs, show you how to use them, and assist you to integrate them into your teaching or presentations.
- Camtasia Studio - Camtasia gives you the tools you need to truly customize and edit your videos. Record on-screen activity, add imported media, create interactive content, and share high-quality, HD videos that your viewers can watch anytime, on nearly any device.
- Adobe Captivate - With Adobe Captivate software, you can rapidly author professional eLearning content with advanced interactivity, software and scenario simulations, quizzes, and other engaging experiences - no programming or multimedia skills required.
- Articulate Studio - Articulate Studio is a user-friendly, powerful and flexible suite of tools which you can use to create engaging multimedia content. It integrates with MS PowerPoint and allows you to incorporate voice, video, interactions and versatile quizzes into visually appealing packages to be delivered online via Blackboard or on CD-ROMs.