What is a Syllabus?
A syllabus is a detailed outline of topics which should be covered in an academic or training course. It acts as a guide to both the instructor and the students.
Am I required to provide my students with a course syllabus?
Yes, UH instructors are required to distribute a course syllabus to students by the end of the first week of class. Syllabi can be provided in paper form or by electronic means by e-mail or by posting it in Blackboard Learn and Poeplesoft.
What must be included in a syllabus?
The syllabus must include, but is not limited to the following information:
- Instructor information: Name and contact information (office location, phone number, email address, office hours, etc.)
- Course identification: Course number, section, title
- Course description and prerequisites
- Course learning outcomes
- List of required course materials
- Class Delivery method, such as face-to face, blended/hybrid or online via Blackboard.
- Topics outline/ course calendar
- Grading criteria
- Classroom Policies regarding late work and make-up exams
- Attendance Policy
- Description of course requirements, e.g., exams, quizzes, projects, papers
- Statement on Academic Dishonesty
- Accomodation of Students with Disabilities
- Methods for communicating with students outside the classroom
Is there a Syllabus template I could use?
This course syllabus template will help you offer students all the information they need to know prior to or at the start of a course. This template is designed so that you could easily insert your information. It is broken into discrete sections, which can be rearranged, removed, or modified to best fit your course and teaching style.
How can I ensure that my students are reading the syllabus?
To ensure that your students have actually read your syllabus, consider giving them a graded Syllabus Quiz. The purpose of a Syllabus Quiz is to familiarize the student with the content of the syllabus, class calendar, rules, and so on. By requiring a Syllabus Quiz students are responsible for their own learning. They know where they can find the answers to questions about the course and are aware of the rules relating to the class. Click here for ideas on sample syllabus questions you could use and administer via Blackboard. This document is formated according to Respondus requirements and could be quickly be uploaded using Respondus. Contact an ID for more information on Respondus. A syllabus quiz will also ensure students understand how to take a quiz/exam adminsterd in Blackboard.