General Information for Potential Employers - Full and Part-time Positions
- Use the TechConnect tool to post jobs and review resumes for potential employees.
- After posting a position on TechConnect, please copy and paste the information contained in the form into an email and send it to DIGMinternship@uh.edu. This will allow your position to be posted on the program’s Facebook page.
General Information for Potential Internship Mentors
- Internships must relate to a Digital Media field, such as eCommerce, eMedia, Motion Media, Packaging, and Print Media.
- Internships require a MINIMUM of 135 hours of work experience (equivalent to nine hours a week during a 15 week semester).
- Students must provide a record of the number of hours worked.
- Interns must compose a list of specific objectives to be met during the internship and both the cooperating employer and the student’s professor must approve this list of objectives.
- Cooperating employers must evaluate the intern’s performance. Students will be responsible for obtaining an evaluation form and presenting it to the cooperating employer. The employer is responsible for completing the form and sending it to the student’s professor.
- Internships may be paid or unpaid, but paid internships are preferred.
- Unpaid internships must meet several strict Department of Labor requirements:
- The internship must be similar to training received in an educational environment.
- The internship experience must be for the benefit of the intern.
- The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under the close supervision of existing staff.
- The employer derives no immediate advantage from the activities of intern, and occasionally may be impeded.
- The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job upon conclusion of the internship.
- Both the employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for time spent in internship.
- The UH College of Technology requires the following additional stipulations be met for unpaid internships:
- The internship experience must be mutually beneficial to the company/organization and student.
- The student intern must receive ample training from a supervisory/management position. (15% of logged hours per week should be training.)
- The intern’s expected duties and tasks must be outlined in a non-paid internship agreement by the intern and the supervisor responsible.
- The employer/agency/organization must have a clear understanding of the difference between an internship and volunteerism/community service.
Upon understanding the above Digital Media internship requirements, as well as the Federal requirements and College of Technology stipulations for unpaid internships, potential internship mentors must use the TechConnect tool to post jobs and review resumes for student interns.