Houston ISD (HISD)
The Central Region of HISD has requested UH Cougars for Kids Mentors at the following schools:
Turner, Lockhart, Cage, Blackshear, Reagan, Lamar, Yates, Oak Forest, Memorial, MacArthur, MacGregor, Love, River Oaks, Roberts, Inclair, Kate Smith, Stevens, Stevenson, Thompson, Henderson, R.P. Harris, Hartsfield, Field, Crockett, Benbrook, Browning, The Rice School, Gregory-Lincoln, Poe, Peck, and Oak Forest.
How to Register as a Volunteer (2 Easy Steps):
- Register as a volunteer via the HISD Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS) program by going online at VIPS Registration. Look for the "Community" section on the home page, scroll down and click on "VIPS Login" to register. Where it asks for affiliation, please type in Cougars for Kids.
- Scan and send a copy of your driver's license to Tina Thompson (VIPS Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org for the criminal history background check. This process takes about 10 days. Please check with Dr. Samples (contact information below) to see if you have cleared.
Contact: Dr. Sabrina Nguyen, email@example.com, 713-556-7220
Note: This type of volunteer service requires an online criminal background check.
Pasadena ISD (PISD)
Helping Future Lil' Coogs
HOSTS (Helping One Student to Succeed) is designed to help elementary students with reading while building relationships that have long-lasting impact on their lives. Mentoring is one of the best investments you can make for their future.
Benefits to University of Houston Students:
- Fulfills volunteer or community participation for your resume/scholarship applications
- Intership requirements
- Gives you an opportunity to give back to your community
Benefits to HOST students:
- Helps them with their reading skills
- Encourages them to stay in school and do their best
- Motivates them to seek higher education
- Meet with your HOSTS student for only 30 minutes each week
- Desire to make a difference in a child's life
Contact: Ginger Lay, firstname.lastname@example.org, 713-740-0051
Fort Bend ISD
The Fort Bend ISD has requested UH Cougars for Kids Mentors district wide:
Fort Bend ISD is recruiting volunteer mentors to meet with students from all grade levels, for 30 minutes to one hour each week. Georgia Hicks, FBISD School Counselor said, "You can't feed a kid academics when he's choking on emotions!" Mentors help students realize that they matter while gaining a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment from this experience. Volunteers who have a desire to help students be successful and reach their full potential in the classroom must attend a one hour training and complete a criminal history background check. You can make a difference in the future of a student!
Contact: Pamela Shaw, email@example.com, 281-634-1112
Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District (CFISD)
The Cypress-Fairbanks ISD has requested UH Cougars for Kids Mentors for mentors and tutors:
A mentor is a suitable role model committed to serve as a guide and a friend while helping a student with his/her educational and personal development. We ask for a commitment of thirty minutes to one hour a week for the school year. You will meet only on campus & during school hours. Appointment times may be flexible.
The VIPS TAG Team is a group of dedicated volunteers who are committed to working directly with students to help them reach their full academic potential. This team, in conjunction with curriculum coordinators and helping teachers, gives personalized attention to students who need extra help.
A two hour training and criminal background check is required. Join the Cy-Fair ISD team and make a make a positive impact in the lives of our youth.
Contact: Pam Scott, firstname.lastname@example.org, 281-894-3950
Spring Branch ISD
The Spring Branch School District has requested UH Cougars for Kids Mentors district wide:
Contact: Rebecca Sue Loudis, Partnerships & Volunteer Programs Coordinator, Rebecca.email@example.com
All volunteers that are working with students must register online and pass a criminal background check.
- Mentor students - must commit to once a week, training available; contact Monica Creixell (firstname.lastname@example.org) 713-251-2435 or DeDe Springer (Dianne.email@example.com)
- Junior Achievement - taught in grades K-12; contact Bill Land (firstname.lastname@example.org) 713-251-2284
- Texas Scholars Presenters - training and materials provided; presentations made to 8th grade classes May 11, 12, 13, or 14
- Campus Volunteers - specific volunteer opportunities available at Spring Branch ISD campuses.
- Tutors - contact specific campuses for program details
The Klein ISD has requested UH Cougars for Kids Mentors district wide:
Volunteers who are interested in making a positive impact on a child's life must attend a two-hour training session, "How to Be a Successful Student Mentor."
Note: This type of volunteer service requires a Klein ISD criminal background check.
Contact: Angie Mentz, email@example.com, 832-249-4362
The Alief Independent School District has requested UH Cougars for Kids district wide as tutors and mentors:
Volunteer tutors are needed for all grade levels and for all subject areas. Volunteer mentors are needed for all grade levels and are asked to make a commitment of 30 minutes to one hour each week to meet with their assigned students. Meetings are held on campus only and during normal school hours. All volunteers must clear a criminal background check, and mentors must attend a one-hour training.
- Dana Christensen, VIPS and Mentor Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org, 281-498-8110, ext. 2550
- Dee Jones, Business Partners and Mentor Specialist, email@example.com, 281-498-8110, ext. 6580
Join the Alief ISD volunteer family and make a difference in the future by touching the life of a child!
We welcome the Cougars who want to make a difference in the life of student in Humble ISD. Humble ISD is honored to request Cougars for Kids as mentors throughout our district.
Please note the following information for those interested.
- All volunteers must complete a mentor application and pass a criminal background check.
- Mentors commit to meet weekly on a campus after completing a mentor orientation.
- Complete and return the attached form to begin the process.
- Contact Waymond Wesley, mentor coordinator, at 281-641-4138 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you and we look forward to working with you in Humble ISD.
The Katy Independent School District has requested UH Cougars for Kids mentors and volunteers.
Keep Encouraging youth Toward Success (KEYS) mentors work one-on-one with children on the brink of success. The program is available at all campuses, kindergarten through 12th grade, and asks that mentors make a one-year, one-hour-per week commitment to their student.
To read more about KEYS check out http://www.katyisd.org/pie/Pages/KEYSMentoring.aspx
If you'd like to join our KEYS mentor family and make a difference in the life of a child, please complete this online application: http://apps.katyisd.org/public/KEYSMentorApplication/Default.aspx
Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS) work with all grade levels doing a variety of fun activities, from helping in the work room to assisting with school carnivals and field days. During the past decade, volunteers donated over 5.5 million hours to the children and teachers of Katy ISD.
To learn more about VIPS go to www.katyisd.org and click on the VIPS logo.
Any questions? Please contact Martha Brown at 281-396-2468 or email@example.com.
KEYS and VIPS are brought to you by Partners in Education, bringing the community into the classroom!
Coming up in Partners in Education...where time is the greatest gift!