Skip to main content


Please note — Because our buildings are currently in high demand for internal academic services, it is necessary to suspend outside usage of the campus classrooms, meeting rooms and grounds.

Facilities and grounds owned or controlled by the University are to be used for the purpose of supporting the University's role and mission of teaching, research, and public service for the benefit of faculty, staff, and students. University facilities are not available for unrestricted use. However, facilities and grounds may be used by internal or external individuals, groups, or organizations if the use does not interfere with the purposes for which the facilities and grounds were intended and does not conflict with University rules or local, state, and federal laws. The University has absolute preemptive priority over individuals or groups and reserves the right to deny, cancel, postpone or alter reservations and arrangements for any event when necessary. Approval to use facilities does not imply approval of the aims and purposes of the sponsoring organization nor the event being planned.

In accordance with Board of Regents' Policy No. 09.02.2, any use of the name of the University, other than to indicate the location of the event, must be approved in advance by the Office of the President and the appropriate University of Houston System official. Similarly, use of the University's seal, logos, photos or any other identifying mark must be approved in advance by the Office of the President and the appropriate University of Houston System official. Even if permission is granted, the University's name must not be used in ways that suggests or imply the endorsement of any organization, their products, or their services. The use of the University's name, seal, and photographs in the advertising and other promotional material and activities of outside organizations is prohibited, particularly when such use is likely to be understood as an endorsement, even if such an endorsement is not the intention of the person or organization seeking to use the University of Houston Sugar Land's (UHSL) name. Permission to use the University's name when granted shall include the understanding that the permission does not involve, either expressly or by implication, any endorsement or sponsorship by the University; in appropriate circumstances permission may be made conditional upon a retirement of an express statement that the University does not endorse or sponsor the particular activity.  


Education & General (E&G) - Net assignable area used for academic instruction, research, and support of the institution's mission. It does not include auxiliary enterprise space or space which is permanently unassigned. E&G space is supported primarily from state appropriated funds.

General Purpose Classroom - A classroom that is assigned by the Provost and that is used for scheduled academic instructional purpose classrooms are considered E&G space. 

Grounds - All exterior campus acreage not covered by buildings.  The definition includes plazas, parks, parking lots, roadways, and any other outside space.

Licensee - Any individual or group, whether internal or external to the System or one of its components, or whether sponsored or not sponsored (in the case of external individuals or groups), who reserves and uses any university facility or space for a purpose other than that for which it is provided.  These facility activities are outside of academic classes, official university events, and specific administrative events.

Special Services - Services provided in support of an event by personnel, contractors, or vendors either internal or external to the university or the System. 

"Drop-In" Areas - As defined in MAPP 13.01.01. Freedom of Expression, the designated areas for organized expressive activities on campus.


University facilities are essentially classified as Educational and General (E&G) and are supported primarily by state appropriated funds. All other space falls within the grounds category.

E&G space may be used for non-E&G purposes, however, not before the Official Reporting Day (ORD) for each semester. Under certain conditions such use shall be subject to charges that at a minimum ensure recovery of that part of the operating cost of the facility attributable directly to or indirectly to that use.

Use of facilities or grounds for political purposes is generally prohibited. Political candidates (incumbents, new office seekers, members of their staff, or their campaign representatives) are not permitted to reserve university facilities for political campaign events. However, officially recognized student organizations may sponsor political activities in accordance with applicable UH System and university rules.

Events may be sponsored only by a university administrative, academic, or student unit, not an individual. Sponsorship includes being actively involved in the event, ensuring compliance with university policy and procedures, monitoring the event's progress and taking overall responsibility for the event's success or failure. Sponsoring organizations include the following:

  • Schools or departments of the University

  • Organized faculty or staff bodies (e.g., Faculty Council, Staff Council, etc.)

  • Officially recognized student organizations, with student representation in classes at UHSL (space request must be submitted by organization's university advisor/sponsor)

  • Academic and/or administrative committees consisting substantially of persons conducting official university business

  • Rental fees may be waived if the event is directly sponsored by the University.


The  University of Houston Sugar Land (UHSL)  welcomes, supports, encourages, and appreciates freedom of expression activities that do not interfere with the University's educational process

The University expects that persons engaging in expressive activities will demonstrate civility, concern for the safety of persons and property, respect for University activities, respect for those who may disagree with their message, and compliance with University policies and applicable local, state, and federal laws. The University maintains its right to place reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions on expressive activities. Additionally, any activities that are unlawful or materially and substantially disruptive to the normal operations of the University including classes and University business activities will not be tolerated. Finally, groups or individuals engaging in disruptive activities or failing to comply with University policies and applicable local, state, and federal laws may face immediate removal from the campus and other appropriate actions by University officials and University police.


Commercial catering services may be used in facilities where food service is permitted. All outside caterers or contractors providing food at the University of Houston Sugar Land (UHSL), must be in possession of a valid Food Permit issued by the City of Houston, Sugar Land, Richmond, Rosenberg, Harris County, Fort Bend County or the State of Texas and must also employ a Certified Food Service Manager. On an annual basis, all outside caterers or contractors must provide a copy of current Food Permit to UHSL. In some instances verbal verification will be obtained from the designated city authority. Off-campus providers must show proof of insurance and provide a temporary alcohol license if serving alcohol.

Individuals and groups are prohibited from bringing in food and beverages to be served at events without prior approval.

Only Coca-Cola products may be sold or given away in conjunction with events held on campus. The UH System has an exclusive contract with the Coca-Cola Bottling Company to supply cold beverages (defined as all forms of non-alcoholic liquids intended for human consumption and all beverage bases from which these can be prepared. This does not include (1) milk, (2) flavored milk, (3) fresh brewed coffee and tea (whether served hot or cold), (4) fresh brewed hot chocolate, (5) soups, (6) fresh squeezed juices, (7) unflavored tap, faucet or fountain water drawn directly from the public water supply, and (8) non-alcoholic beer. However, it is allowable for non-Coca Cola Products to be purchased off-campus by individuals and brought onto campus for personal consumption and not for distribution on Campus.

It is also permissible for non-Coca Cola beverages to be served at privately catered events not open to the public, provided that the University does not sponsor and University Concessionaires do not cater the event and the beverages are served at no charge to event attendees.


All members of the university community and guests are required to comply with federal, state, and local laws regarding the possession, consumption, and distribution of alcoholic beverages. Possession, consumption or distribution of alcoholic beverages on campus is subject to disciplinary action outlined in Alcoholic Beverage Use on Campus.


Under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the University is obligated to ensure that its programs, practices, policies, and procedures do not discriminate against individuals with disabilities. Persons, organizations, or sponsors wishing to use university facilities must comply with all ADA standards as a condition for such use.