It’s that time of year again! The 3rd annual Spring Cougar First Impressions (CFI) will take place on Tuesday and Wednesday, January 20 and 21, to welcome students to the University of Houston at the beginning of the Spring semester. UH staff members and others will give directions to classes and hand out giveaway items to students over the two day event.
Students love to pick up promotional items provided by UH colleges, departments, and other programs. The CFI Planning Committee encourages you to provide items for the tables that promote your program and are fun and useful for students. Students are much more likely to pick up and keep promotional items than brochures or information sheets, and they tell CFI volunteers that they do notice what is written on the promotional items. Some popular items include:
- Pens & pencils—you would be surprised how many students show up the first day without a writing utensil!
- Whistle/light key chains
- Magnets—especially unique shapes
- Bumper stickers
- Anything useful—eyeglass repair kits, hand sanitizer, sewing kits, facial tissue packages, etc.
- “Cute” or unusual items
- Pocket-sized cards with useful information—athletics schedules, study tips, resources, etc.
- Most students will not pick up big, bulky or heavy items
We would be happy to discuss the items and materials you wish to have distributed with you and give you suggestions.
CFI Materials Distribution Guidelines
- Any materials CFI accepts for distribution must comply with other University rules (Freedom of Expression, Dean of Students, etc.).
- CFI will distribute University (i.e., from a University college, department or auxiliary) items of interest to students provided that there are no strings attached (i.e., requiring CFI to endorse, advertise, promote, sell, etc.). However, most students will not pick up large, bulky or heavy items. We reserve the right to reject any item for any reason.
- All such items must be ready to distribute; i.e., CFI will not collate, bind, bundle, or explain items.
- Leftover items can only be returned if requested in advance, and the requesting department makes arrangements to pick them up; CFI cannot deliver them.
- There should be a sufficient quantity of items to distribute to all 6 tables over a two-day period. CFI will not restrict distribution of items to any one or any selection of tables. If possible, divide into 6 bundles (one for each table).
- Items must be delivered to the PGH Lobby on Friday, January 16, 2014, between 2:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. (please do not come earlier). CFI does not have the means to pick up items. Sometimes, special arrangements can be made, but cannot be guaranteed.
- Tables are open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day, Tuesday and Wednesday, January 20 and 21. See the CFI schedule page for a map of table locations.
Thank you for your continued support and for giving our students a great First Impression. Please feel free to share with anyone who should have this information.