The Nonprofit Leadership Alliance (NLA) Internship is the "capstone" requirement for certification. Placed in a 501c3 nonprofit organization, you will have a professional experience that will put your acquired knowledge and skills into practice in the real world. Students are required to complete 480 hours, usually 16 to 20 hours a week over two semesters.
The NLA internship is highly structured to provide a synergistic relationship between the student and the organization. The NLA Program Director will meet with you individually to discuss your career plans and help you research organizations that will best meet your goals.
Eligibility Requirements for the NLA Internship
- Second Semester Junior, Senior or post-baccalaureate status;
- Completion of the following courses and received a B (3.0) grade or better before starting the internship matching process:
- SOCW 3354
- SOCW 3330
- SOC 3318
- Completion or concurrent participation in required co-curricular activities;
- A 2.5 GPA overall or within major (with documentation);
- Completed Interview Workshop and Resume Workshop at UH Career Services (recommended)
- Consent of NONPROFIT LEADERSHIP ALLIANCE Program Director/ Program Coordinator.
The NLA Internship may be taken for course credit through your major or minor with the consent of the academic department. Elective credit is also available through SOCW 4301 Internship in Nonprofit Management. For more information, please inquire with NLA Program Director. Students may complete the internship without course credit.
For more information on possible NLA Internship sites please see Our Partners.