The UH Libraries has expertise available to assist researchers with data management at almost all stages of a research project. Librarians have experience in the following areas:
- Identifying sources of data for use in research projects, including locating proprietary and open datasets as well as various forms of government and third party data stores;
- Consulting on preferred file formats and strategies for file naming and organization;
- Providing guidance on a wide variety of strategies and techniques for data analysis and visualization, including training on library-licensed and open software and tools;
- Sharing final research data with broader audiences, including through UH Libraries’ repository service, Cougar ROAR and other popular discipline-based repositories;
- Helping researchers understand the complexities of copyright and intellectual property as they relate to research data.
UH Libraries provides the following free resources on data management:
- Data Management Resources guide – provides an overview of data management and provides additional readings on important facets of data management
- DMP Tool – an online platform that will help researchers create a funding agency-specific data management plan for grant proposals.
- Cougar ROAR (Research Open Access Repositories) – provides safe, long-term storage for data and scholarship produced by the University of Houston community and makes these materials widely available to researchers around the world.
By Fall 2018 as soon as we hire a new Research Data Management Librarian, the Libraries will have the additional following services available:
- Consulting on data management plan development, including a review of the components of a plan and the common requirements among funding agencies;
- Reviewing data management plans for funding mandates and other research projects, including experience in strengthening proposed activities around data description, data documentation and organization, data access and reuse, and data archiving.
The Libraries’ primary contacts for these services are: