The Outdoor Adventure trip program offers over twenty outdoor trips per year ranging from day trips to week long adventures. Our highly trained and experienced trip leaders will guide you through places like The Great Sand Dunes of Colorado, the wild Chisos Mountains of Big Bend, or even The Grand Canyon! If you are looking for an adventure closer to home, the Farmers Market Bike Tour is the perfect way to see a different side of Houston. There are plenty of weekend trips that are strategically planned around the stressful times of each semester so take some time to unwind and let us show you a real Outdoor Adventure. Remember to sign up fast because trips do sell out. Take a look at the schedule below for detailed information on upcoming trips and don't forget to check out these incredible videos.
2015 Adventure Trip Schedule
- All Outdoor Adventure trips are alcohol, and illegal substance free.
- All trips must be paid in full at time of enrollment. To cancel your participation, you must contact (713) 743-0808.
- 100% refund minus the $25 cancellation fee if contacted more than 28 days out from the trip. .
- 50% if notified between 27 and 14 days of the trip.
- 25% if notified between 13 and 7 days of the trip. 0% if notified less than 7 days before the trip.
The farmers market bike tour is a very popular day trip.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are Outdoor Adventure (OA) Trips?
Each semester OA schedules are variety of outdoor adventures. These trips are geared towards student experimental learning in a safe, outdoor environment.
- Who can take a trip with OA?
All current members of the CRWC are eligible to enroll in a trip – This includes students enrolled in classes and individual memberships.
- What if I am a member of the CRWC, can I bring a guest that is not affiliated with UH?
Yes, if you are a student currently enrolled in class or have an individual membership and enroll in a trip, you may bring a guest on the trip as well. On outings, the guest fee is listed as “community” and requires a higher cost than members.
- Is there an age/size requirement participant to enroll?
Yes, you must be 18 years old or a current UH student.
- What types of trips are available?
Each semester varies, but OA strives to offer a variety of options – backpacking, biking, climbing, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, surfing, biking, and caving.
- How long are the trips?
The trips vary in length – from local day trips, to statewide weekend trips, to nationwide week-long trips. The goal of each semester is to incorporate an assortment of day and weekend trips with a culminating multi-day trip during the scheduled school break.
- How much does it cost?
The cost varies depending upon several factors – mostly the required travel distance and length of the trip. The cost for guests to enroll is a slightly increased due to the lack of membership.
- What does the cost cover?
When applicable, the cost includes: leadership, instruction, transportation, entrance fees, meals, and equipment.
- Is any experience required?
For the majority of trips, no experience is necessary. On some adventures, such as climbing or biking longer distances, some experience would be beneficial, but not mandatory. Before each trip begins, the OA guides will instruct on technical skills required for the adventure. Also, there will be a pre-trip meeting for every trip. See the Climbing wall staff for more information.
- How do I sign up?
To sign up, stop by the Climbing Wall. You will need to sign a Release Form, Trip Sign-Up Form, and pay the fee. All trips must be paid in full at time of enrollment.
- How many people can enroll in a trip?
For local bike trips around Houston, we allow up to 15 participants. For off-campus adventures, we are limited to 10 participants due to transportation.
- Can I reserve spots for my friends/family/guests?
Spots on the trips are only guaranteed once payment has been received. In order to reserve spots for other individual, you would be required to pay the fee.
For Information contact Outdoor Adventure Office at 713-743-9512 or firstname.lastname@example.org