Become an Official
If you are interested in becoming an Intramural Sports official, please review the information below and follow the link to the online Campus Recreation Student Employee application.
Job Description – Intramural Sports Official
An Intramural Sports official shall, to the best of his/her ability, officiate and/or keep accurate records of contests sponsored by University of Houston Campus Recreation, in accordance with the rules of the sport and the regulations of the Department. The official is charged with the responsibility of maintaining orderly conduct on the court or field to which he/she is assigned, and will perform other duties as outlined in the Duties and Responsibilities section below.
Duties & Responsibilities – Intramural Sports Official
- Attend all clinics and meetings - see calendar below
- Fulfill schedule obligations.
- Submit to periodic evaluations, both written and verbal.
- Be attentive at all times – do not allow friends to visit or distract you while at work.
- Arrive at work by the time designated by the schedule. You are paid for this time and it is not considered "early".
- Obtain necessary equipment and score sheets when reporting to work and checking in with the supervisor.
- Locate team captains, sign in players, check eligibility of team members 15 minutes prior to the start of the contest.
- Enforce and document (in accordance with the rules of the sport and the regulations of the Department) any unsportsmanlike conduct by players, coaches, or spectators.
- Ensure that game equipment functions properly and that games are played under safe conditions. Report the need for facility or equipment repairs to the supervisor on duty.
- Report sportsmanship grades and comments of teams on score sheets and to supervisors after all games.
- Immediately direct any Requests for Protest to the supervisor on duty.
- Report any misuse of the facility or equipment, or any discipline problems from participants or spectators, to the sports supervisor immediately.
- Report for reassignment in the event of forfeited games.
- Frequently review the material in sport rulebooks.
- Contact the supervisor in the event of an accident/injury. Remain with the injured party until relieved. Assist with an injury report form (as necessary).
- Strive to maintain positive public relations; answer question sfrom participants or direct them to a supervisor.
- Display positive sportsmanship while participating.
If you are interested, print the .pdf job application here, fill it out, and bring it to the Intramural Sports office today.
For more information, please contact the Intramural Sports office at (713) 743-8041
Outdoor Soccer Official's Clinic
If you are interested, come on out and you will be trained to officiate IMS Outdoor Soccer. Experience preferred, but not required. Must attend one A/B clinic and work four scrimmage games to be eligible for hire.
|A Clinic||option 1||M, 2/16||6:00pm-9:00pm||
CRWC Rotunda Classroom
|A Clinic||option 2||Tu, 2/17||6:00pm-9:00pm||CRWC Rotunda Classroom||B Clinic||option 1||W, 2/18||6:00pm-9:00pm||
Cullen Field 2
|B Clinic||option 2||Th, 2/19||6:00pm-9:00pm||Cullen Field 2|
|C Clinic||scrimmages||M, 2/23||6:00pm-10:00pm||Cullen Field 1&2|
|Tu, 2/24||6:00pm-10:00pm||Cullen Field 1&2|
|W, 2/25||6:00pm-10:00pm||Cullen Field 1&2|
4v4 Flag Football Officials' Clinic
This is for all interested students. If you are interested, come out and you will be trained to officiate 4v4 FFB. Must attend one A and B clinic and work four scrimmage games to be eligible for hire.
|A/B Clinic||Option 1||M, 2/23||4:00pm-6:00pm||CRWC Rotunda Classroom|
|Option 2||Tu, 2/24||4:00pm-6:00pm||CRWC Rotunda Classroom|
|C Clinic||ALL||W, 2/25||4:00pm-7:30pm||Cullen Field 4|