Fitness Zone Policies
- Athletic clothing required: Denim, khaki and clothing with rivets or zippers are prohibited. Top must be full-length, with sleeves and cover the midriff area. Acceptable bottoms include athletic pants, capris or shorts.
- Shoes must be rubber-soled with enclosed heel and covered toes.
- Inappropriate attire includes: string tank tops, extremely short shorts, jeans, carpenter style pants, sandals/flip flops, steel-toed boots, non-athletic shoes.
- Participants must be 18 years of age or older to participate in fitness zone activities.
- Children under 18 may use the track with a parent or guardian present.
- Equipment must be used as intended by the manufacturer. Do not move or relocate equipment without staff approval. If equipment is used in any other way, it may cause injury to the participant and others in the area.
- The fitness zone staff is available for individuals not familiar with the exercise equipment. Improper technique during exercise can cause injury or undue soreness. The fitness zone staff is available to answer general questions about the equipment. If more in depth information is requested, please request a consultation with a personal trainer, or contact the Fitness Graduate Assistant at 713-743-1621.
Cardio and Free Weight Area
- Cardiovascular machine use is limited to 30 minutes during peak times, (4:00 – 8:00pm) to give everyone a chance to use the equipment.
- Moving equipment for any reason is prohibited.
- Free weights or fitness equipment are not permitted on or near the cardio machines.
- Clean your machines after use. Cleaning supplies are available on the cardio floor.
- All patrons are required to re-rack his/her weights – barbells, dumbbells and plates – when they are no longer in use.
- Deadlifts, standing overhead lifts, any lifts that result in the dropping of weights. Any infractions will be given one warning. Future infractions will result in suspension from the facility.
Food and drinks other than water in sealable, shatter-proof containers are prohibited. Lockers are provided for personal items. Do not leave backpacks or personal belongings on floor.
Personal Training may be performed by Department of Campus
Recreation staff only.
If a person is interested in becoming a personal trainer, please refer them to the Assistant Director of Fitness at 713-743-9503 or email@example.com.
University of Houston students, faculty/staff and spouse/partners of students, faculty/staff shall be permitted to participate in Departmental programs, activities, and services (to include Intramural Sports, Sport Clubs, Aquatics, Outdoor Adventure, and Fitness) in accordance with the person's gender self-identification or expression. Sport Club participants will be reviewed on a case by case basis based on the applicable National Governing Body's policies and procedures. The UH Campus Recreation and Wellness Center will ensure that every student, faculty, staff, and guest has access to a locker room and bathroom facilities in a safe, comfortable, and convenient environment. Transgender individuals shall not be forced to use the locker room corresponding to their gender assigned at birth. Such accommodations could include, but are not limited to private area in the locker room or use of the family changing room.
Please contact the Associate Director for Operations or Programs at 713-743-9500 with questions or individual cases requiring evaluation.
The Department of Campus Recreation reserves the right to remove and/or suspend access to any participants who do not comply with the rules or directions from a staff member.