Esther Farfel Award for Faculty : Nomination Process and Deadlines
University of Houston
ESTHER FARFEL AWARD 2012-2013
The University of Houston announces the annual Esther Farfel Award, the highest honor accorded to a University faculty member. The award, a symbol of overall career excellence, carries a cash prize of $10,000.
Nomination deadline is
5 PM, Friday, November 2, 2012.
download the fall nomination checklist
[ farfel-checklist_FA12.doc ]
Nominees must be full-time tenured faculty who have held a continuous appointment at the University of Houston for at least five academic years prior to the year of nomination. Nominees must demonstrate excellence in all areas of faculty responsibility. The selection committee will consider:
- the significance and national/international impact of the candidate's research or creative activity;
- evidence of outstanding teaching ability; and
- distinctive and exemplary service to the University, the profession, and the community.
Faculty, staff, administrators, students, and alumni may make nominations. In addition, the selection committee actively solicits nominations. Nomination is a two step process:
Step 1: Nomination deadline:
5 PM, Friday, November 2, 2012
- Submit the nomination form, two-page letter of nomination and the nominee’s full current curriculum vitae electronically as a single document .pdf file to (please label the document with the nominees last name) to the Office of Academic Program Management, Dr. Heidi Kennedy, email@example.com
- After the selection committee conducts the initial review of nominations, Dr. Elaine Charlson will notify the candidates of the results by late November. Finalists may then choose to proceed with the nomination process as follows:
Step 2: Finalist supporting materials deadline:
Friday, February 8, 2013
All documents should be submitted on a single disk as outlined on the nomination checklist. The documents should be filed in four sub-folders containing the materials under the categories of Nomination, Research, Teaching, and Service. Please label the disk and content folder with the nominee’s name. Please use the nomination checklist offered for download below for the order and presentation of materials.
Supporting materials are needed under each of the categories of research and scholarship, teaching, and service. For recommendations from external letter writers provide a summary of the credentials of each referee and relationship, if any, to the nominee.
- Research and Scholarship
Six letters supporting the quality and significance of the nominee's research and scholarship, at least three of which must be arm's length reviewers from outside the University of Houston community.
Four letters addressing the contributions of the nominee to teaching must be included — three from among the nominee's current or former students and one from a UH colleague. Provide a list of students the nominee has mentored and their current employment or position (if known). Documentation of quality teaching, including summarized and comparative student and department and/or college course evaluations for at least the previous two years. Documentation may also include activities such as course development, advising and other contributions to student learning.
Three letters documenting distinguished and exemplary service to the University, the profession, and the community.
The selection committee may contact the references for more details. The committee will then review the nominations and select a finalist by early March. After the Provost and the President approve the selection, the President will inform the recipient of the award. The award will be presented at the Faculty Awards ceremony at the end of the spring semester.