May 29, 2014 update
Offer Letter Format
for Non Tenure Track Position
- Offer the position in a specific department, school, or college at the base salary with beginning and ending dates. Note that the appointment is subject to approval.
On the recommendation of the DEPARTMENT and subject to formal approval by the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, I am pleased to offer you a position as RANK in the Department of _______________ in the College of __________ at the University of Houston. The salary will be $_______ for the period of _______________ to ______________.
- Specify that the position is not on the tenure track and will not accrue time toward tenure. Include DOE certification requirement.
This is a non-tenure track position that will accrue no time toward tenure at the University of Houston. This position carries with it no assurance of renewal beyond the specified time period. Continued employment and the possibility of reappointment are contingent upon the required approvals, the availability of funding, an annual review, and a continued need for the position within the department.
To comply with U.S. Department of Education guidelines, this offer is void if you affirm on the Non Tenure Track Faculty Employment Acceptance Form that you have ever been convicted of or pled nolo contendere or guilty to, a crime involving the acquisition, use, or expenditure of Federal, State, or local government funds; or if you have ever been administratively or judicially determined to have committed fraud or any other material violation of law involving Federal, State, or local government funds.
- Include any appointment contingencies.
This offer is contingent upon receiving transcripts showing all of your degrees before you begin employment at the University of Houston.
This offer is contingent upon enrollment. In the event these courses do not have the minimum enrollment required, your salary will be commensurate with the number of classes that you teach.
- Specify the person's responsibilities during the term of employment.
Your responsibilities will include teaching one graduate and two undergraduate courses during the fall semester and four undergraduate courses in the spring semester. (Name the course(s) if known.)
- Include University of Houston Legal Requirements and Assurances sheet and forms, including the following wording:
"As the University of Houston complies with the Immigration Control and Reform Act, all appointments are contingent upon proof of eligibility to accept employment in the United States. Documentation of eligibility must be provided within 72 hours of employment."
"The State of Texas requires that all faculty who have contact with students complete the Primary Spoken Language of Teaching Personnel Self-Declaration section of the Faculty Employment Acceptance form. Please return this form with your letter of acceptance."
Include the appropriate benefits eligibility language.
The State of Texas offers comprehensive health and prescription drug benefits, along with $5,000 of basic term life insurance and $5,000 of accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) coverage beginning the 1st of the month following a 60-day waiting period, not to exceed 90 days. You may also decline health coverage; however, if you wish to enroll in the medical plan after your initial period of eligibility, proof of insurability is required and your acceptance is not guaranteed. Your options are:
- Enroll within your first week of employment to start the 60-day wait,
- You may decline coverage, (Note: Under the Affordable Care Act, you are required to have or to obtain health insurance. For more information, go to https://www.healthcare.gov/.)
- Consult Human Resources regarding comparable coverage plan participation, if applicable,
- Elect COBRA, to cover the waiting period (if available from previous employer),
- Choose a short-term medical insurance to cover waiting period. HR Benefits can provide a short list.
For part-time or non-benefits-eligible employees hired, add the following paragraph:
Because this is considered a part-time position, you are not eligible for benefits such as health insurance coverage through the University. Under the Affordable Care Act, you are required to have or to obtain health insurance. For more information, go to https://www.healthcare.gov/.
- Ask for an acceptance letter or signature indicating acceptance on the offer letter.
I share the enthusiasm of my colleagues in DEPARTMENT at the prospect of your joining us. Your participation in the academic and scholarly activities of the department will contribute to the growth and development of the college. I look forward to receiving your acceptance letter within ___ weeks of receipt of this letter (OR by _____).
It is important to note that a faculty member may not be appointed to a tenure track position without a national search. Therefore, if a decision is made to move a faculty member from a non-tenure track position to a tenure track position, a search must be done before the appointment will be approved. In the event that the non-tenure track faculty member was originally hired as the result of a national search, another search will not be required.