Faculty Openings : College of Education
Chairperson - Department of Educational Psychology
The College of Education (COE) at the University of Houston (UH), a Carnegie designated Tier 1 university, seeks dynamic leaders to assume key administrative positions as we aspire to significantly impact the education and health of Houston’s nearly 2 million Pre-K-20 students through our research, service, and professional degree programs. The College is centrally located in one of the most diverse and vibrant metropolitan areas in the U.S., with access to the internationally renowned Texas Medical Center and the largest school district in Texas. Successful candidates for these positions will have a demonstrated track record of innovation and leadership and a history of interdisciplinary collaboration and peer-mentorship.
Department Chairperson will be responsible for advancing the national recognition and impact of our Ph.D. program, expanding current and creating new masters degree and certificate programs, leading undergraduate student success efforts, mentoring an exceptionally talented number of early and mid-career faculty, and cultivating a culture of excellence and interdisciplinary collaboration.
Scope of Work:
1. Oversee departmental academic affairs, new faculty recruitment, evaluation of faculty, assignment of graduate assistants, and budgetary affairs
2. Facilitate faculty-led updating or co-design of academic program curriculum with appropriate community partners
3. Lead departmental strategic planning and implementation efforts to elevate national ranking of degree programs
4. Enable collaborations among researchers within/outside the COE
5. Actively participate in the University’s launch of its largest capital campaign
6. Serve on the Dean’s Administrative Cabinet; conduct regular meetings with department academic program leads; collaborate with the COE Faculty Executive Committee
1. Doctoral degree from an accredited university in a related field represented in the appropriate Department at UH (http://coe.uh.edu/academic-departments/index.php)
2. Demonstrated history of leading and elevating the national stature of a Ph.D. program
3. Demonstrated history of innovation and leadership in advancing the research mission of an academic department or program
4. Knowledge of policies and procedures associated with securing extramural funding from private foundations and federal agencies
5. Experience and willingness to engage in a university advancement campaign
6. Demonstrated record of scholarship that merits a tenured faculty appointment as an associate or full professor with tenure
To apply, the following materials should be uploaded online at https://www.coe.uh.edu/search/ :
1. A cover letter describing your (a) qualifications and interest in the position, (b) evidence of scholarly impact, (c) history of external peer-reviewed funding, and (d) vision of your role as the Department Chairperson
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Three letters of recommendation
Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action:
The University of Houston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.