Faculty Interest : Hiring and Employment
April 12, 2010 update
Offer Letter Format
for Non Tenure Track Research Position
- Offer the position in a specific institute, center, department, school, or college at the base salary with beginning and ending dates. Note the name of the UH faculty member sponsoring the research faculty member. Note that the appointment is subject to approval.
- State that this is a non-tenure track position and that service in rank does not count towards tenure. Note that the duration of the appointment is normally one year, however, certain contingencies may apply. Include DOE certification requirement.
- State any other appointment contingencies.
- Note that research faculty are not eligible for internal grant programs, but are eligible to submit proposals as principal investigators. State that all equipment purchased through externally funded grants or UH sources are the property of the State of Texas and will be reassigned when the candidate leaves the university.
- Indicate eligibility in department to serve on committees.
- Include University of Houston Legal Requirements Assurances sheet and forms.
- Ask for an acceptance letter.
Upon the recommendation of the DEPARTMENT and subject to formal approval by the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, I am pleased to offer you a position as RANK in the DEPARTMENT NAME in the college of _______ at the University of Houston. Dr. _____ will be your sponsoring faculty member in the Department of ______________. Your annual salary will be $_____ for the period of _______________ to ______________, contingent upon the availability of funds.
This is a non-tenure track position for which service in rank does not count towards tenure at the University of Houston. This position carries with it no expectation of renewal beyond the specified time period. Continued employment and the possibility of reappointment are contingent upon the required approvals, the availability of funding, an annual review, and a continued need for the position within the DEPARTMENT.
To comply with U.S. Department of Education guidelines, this offer is void if you affirm on the Non Tenure Track Faculty Employment Acceptance Form that you have ever been convicted of or pled nolo contendere or guilty to, a crime involving the acquisition, use, or expenditure of Federal, State, or local government funds; or if you have ever been administratively or judicially determined to have committed fraud or any other material violation of law involving Federal, State, or local government funds.
This offer is contingent upon receiving transcripts showing all of your degrees before you begin employment at the University of Houston.
While you will be ineligible for internal grant programs, you are encouraged to submit external grant proposals as a principal investigator. Should you leave the university, all equipment purchased through external grants or UH sources will be reassigned, as they are the property of the State of Texas.
You will also be eligible to serve on thesis and dissertation committees, at the discretion of the department. Details should be worked out with the department chair.
"As the University of Houston complies with the Immigration Control and Reform Act, all appointments are contingent upon proof of eligibility to accept employment in the United States. Documentation of eligibility must be provided within 72 hours of employment."
"The State of Texas requires that all faculty who have contact with students complete the Primary Spoken Language of Teaching Personnel Self-Declaration section of the Faculty Employment Acceptance form. Please return this form with your letter of acceptance."
I share the enthusiasm of Professor _____ and the DEPARTMENT of _____ at the prospect of your joining us. Please indicate your acceptance of this offer by signing below and returning it to me by ___________________.
I share the enthusiasm of Professor ______ and the DEPARTMENT of ____________ at the prospect of your joining us. I look forward to receiving your acceptance letter within ____ days of receipt of this letter (OR by DATE).