August 08, 2008
I especially encourage you to read Lisa Falkenberg’s column regarding Texas universities’ quest for top tier status. This is an exceptionally positive article that states “the University of Houston is ahead of the pack in reaching the nationally competitive goal.”
Most importantly, the point is clearly made that it will require a team effort to reach top tier status, so it is timely for me to share this article with you and appeal to you once again for your active support and participation in reaching this critical goal.
What can you do to support your University of Houston?
- Forward this article to your friends and business associates, and make them aware that the article states having a top-tier public university in Houston “is vital to the region’s economic growth in staving off a brain drain and maintaining a skilled, well-paid workforce. And well-funded, cutting edge research and development attracts employers and generates startups.” A strong UH creates tremendous economic benefits for this region.
- Write letters to your local newspaper and legislators expressing your support for UH receiving additional funding from the state as legislators decide how they will invest public dollars for higher education. Investing in UH has a high return on investment in terms of skilled graduates, research innovation and economic impact.
- Show your Cougar pride! Hang your diploma on the wall. Fill Robertson Stadium and Hofheinz Pavillion for our football and basketball games. Share your excitement about the successes of our outstanding students and the quality of our faculty and academic programs. There is no better time than now to show the entire community our strength and pride in this great university.
- Join the University of Houston Alumni Organization. Annual dues are only $45, and alumni participation is an important measure in national rankings of excellence. Alumni must show their confidence and pride in their university before others will recognize the excellence we have here.
- If you haven’t been to campus for a while, now is the time to pay us a visit and see the tremendous growth and experience the energy generated by our positive momentum. Almost every day, I hear someone say “I had no idea!” From arts performances, lectures, alumni gatherings or a stroll through the tree-lined paths around the fountains, I encourage you to take a moment to reconnect with UH.
Thank you for all you do to make this Cougar Nation a proud and successful one! We will come back to you with our legislative agenda in the coming weeks. Enjoy the rest of your summer!