A. Department Mailing Card
Campus Distributions
Mail Identification
Personal Mail
Did You Know?
Standard Abbreviations for Addresses
Standard Two-Letter State Abbreviations
Postage Charges on Peoplesoft 1074 Report


UH Postal Services Department has implemented the use of bar coded department account numbers to improve the accuracy and speed of inputting the charge back transaction. The bar coded account numbers must be included on all mailing cards.

All bundles of mail, parcels and any mail to be metered must have a "DEPARTMENTAL MAILING CARD" (DMC) attached. A separate card is needed for letter size, oversize and international bundles.

This card must have your:

bar coded account number which is your business unit and speed type (see Mail Identification in this section for information on procedure for obtaining DMC)
department name
name and signature
telephone number
number of mail pieces
certified signatory (if mailing is $100.00 or more. Example: A 1st Class mailing of 300+ letter-size #10 envelopes or 150 oversize envelopes.)

To order new DMC:

  • Go to www.uh.edu/pp
  • Select Forms
  • Select DMC Request Form
  • Complete form
  • Hit submit button
  • DMC Card will be prepared and sent to you via interoffice mail

  • B. Campus Distributions

    UH Postal Services provides two types of campus distribution for flyers, bulletins, notices, etc., as a FREE service to the university community. The organization or group which requests a distribution must be a part of, or connected with, the university.

    The minimum size for a distribution piece is 5 1/2" by 8 1/2".

    Distributions are NOT done on Mondays or the day after a holiday because of the heavy workload from incoming mail. Incoming mail and interoffice mail are given priority over a campus distribution.

    Distributions are done as soon as the workload permits. Please check with our UH Postal Services Manager for the approximate delivery time.

    Once a distribution has been delivered to a designated mail stop, UH Postal Services is not responsible for the distribution within a department or area. Each department is responsible for seeing that the appropriate action is taken depending upon type of distribution.

    The three distributions are:

    General Distribution: Requires 700 copies for each department to receive 1 to 3 copies. Each department should copy and distribute to individual employees or post on bulletin board(s) for all to read.

    Central Distribution: Requires 4000 copies for each employee to receive one copy. The department staff should distribute to each employee (faculty and staff) within the department.
    NOTE: If you want to make sure that your information reaches the intended individuals, the items should be inkjetted with the person's name and mail code. This service can be provided by UH Postal Services.


    Please identify your mail. Attach a completed Departmental Mailing Card (bar coded account number is required) to each and every bundle of your outgoing "to be metered" mail.

    Outgoing 1st Class mail must be in UH Postal Services office no later than 3:30 p.m. if it is to go out that day.

    Note: Outgoing accountable mail (certified, insured, registered, etc.) must be in UH Postal Services office no later than 3:15 p.m. if it is to go out that day.


    University postage can only be applied to University business mail.

    Do not submit personal letters to be metered.

    Outgoing personal mail must be sealed and must have the proper postage affixed prior to depositing at a designated UH mail stop. This mail will be picked up by the U.S. Postal Service at 4:30 p.m. from UH Postal Services when the other university mail is picked up.

    Personal items weighing 16 ounces or more must be taken to the USPS personally by the orignator. This rule went into effect due to heightened security measures in the aftermath of September 11th, 2001.

    Stamps and other personal mail needs can be obtained through the University Copy Center which is located in the Welcome Center on Calhoun.

    Please do not have personal mail (this includes retail, mail order catalogs) sent to your campus address. Only mail which deals with university activities or business, or used by your area in an educational manner, should be received at your campus address.


    Mail with no postage will be returned to the sender. Mail with partial postage will be delivered to the addressee marked Postage Due.

    Correct ZIP codes will help speed your mail at the U.S. Post Office. For the latest zip codes, you can access the U.S.P.S. web site at:

    Improperly addressed mail will be delayed or returned to sender.

    All mail should contain a UH return address; if not, and your letter or package is undeliverable as addressed, it will be sent to a dead letter office to determine the sender's name and address, and a fee will be assessed upon return of the mail.

    Letter or card should have a rectangular shape and be a minimum of:
    3.5 inches high
    5 inches long
    0.007 of an inch thick.

    It is the department's responsibility to forward mail. When a person leaves the University, a change of address should be filed with the department.

    All First Class mail or mail marked "Forwarding Postage Guaranteed" can be forwarded by marking through the old address (leaving the name of the addressee) and adding the new address with the words "Please Forward".

    For all other mail which cannot be forwarded, it must be destroyed or packaged and mailed to the addressee at the department's expense.



    H. Postage Charges on Peoplesoft 1074 Report

    Postage charges appear on the PS 1074 report the month after they have been incurred. For example, the charges for the month of June will appear on the 1074 report in July.

    On the last work day of the month after all outgoing mail has been processed, UH Postal Services closes the departments' postage accounts for the month. An electronic file summary of all postage charges to departmental accounts for that month is generated. It is sent to Financial Accounting by the 5th business day of the month. The information is downloaded into their system.

    The postage charges show up on your 1074 report under the account "52800". The entry includes the month the postage was charged (used), the speedtype, total number of pieces mailed and total dollars charged. You can obtain a breakdown by class of mail and number of pieces by accessing the UH Postal Services website at
    www.uh.edu/pp and clicking on Postage Chargebacks. Each month of the fiscal year and YTD postage information is available


    Quick Links


    Postal Chargebacks

    Find Us
    General Services Bldg.
    4211 Elgin
    Parking Lot 17A

    713-743-5910 fax

    Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 5:00

    E-mail questions/comments about this web page to: srowland@uh.edu