Accountable and International Mail

Registered Mail
Insured Mail
Certified Mail
Return Receipts
Certificate of Mailing
International Mail


If an outgoing accountable mail piece needs an "item number", UH Postal Services will assign this number when postage is applied.

A. Registered Mail

The most secure option offered by the U.S. Postal Service is registered mail. The service is designed to provide added protection for valuable and important mail. Postal insurance may be purchased at the option of the mailer, up to maximum of $25,000. Return receipt* and restricted delivery services (deliver only to a specific individual) are available for additional fees. Registered articles are controlled from the point of mailing to delivery. First Class postage is required on all registered mail. Please write on your department mailing card that you wish a mail piece to be registered and, if you wish to insure the item, how much insurance you want. Registered mail cannot be sealed or secured with scotch, masking, or any type of cellulose tape. USE BROWN PAPER TAPE ONLY.

B. Insured Mail

Insurance is available for up to $5000 value for Standard mail. Standard matter mailed at First Class rate must be endorsed "Standard Matter Enclosed" in addition to the First Class or Priority Mail endorsement. For articles insured for more than $50, a receipt of delivery is signed by the recipient and filed at the delivery post office. Do not over-insure your packages. The amount of insurance coverage for loss will be actual value, less depreciation, and no payments are made for sentimental losses or for any expenses incurred as a result of the loss. You may obtain a return receipt* and request restricted delivery for additional fees. Please write on your department mailing card that you wish to have the mail piece insured and the amount of insurance desired.

* Return receipts must be completed by the department and accompany the mail piece. The return receipts (green cards for domestic, pink cards for international) are available from UH Postal Services upon request.

C. Certified Mail

Certified mail is first class material for which the sender wants written evidence of its delivery. Please write on your department mailing card that you wish the mail piece(s) to be certified. Return receipt and restricted delivery is available for additional fees. Certified mail does not provide insurance. Foreign mail cannot be certified; it must be sent as registered mail.

D. Return Receipts

Return Receipts furnish the mailer with evidence of delivery. The fee paid for a return receipt does not insure the article against loss or damage. It is available on mail sent COD or Express Mail or when mail is insured for more than $50, or it is registered or certified. The return receipt shows who signed for the item and the date it was delivered.

E. Certificate of Mailing

A certificate of mailing proves an item was mailed. It does not provide insurance coverage for loss or damage. U.S.P.S. will provide a certificate of mailing receipt for a fee, but no other record is maintained at the U.S. Post Office.

F. International Mail

Airmail and surface mail can be sent to virtually all foreign countries. Indicate whether airmail or surface rate (not available for letters or letter packages) is desired. Registry service with limited reimbursement protection is available for mail pieces to many countries. Insurance is available for parcel post to most countries. There are four types of international mail:

1.Letters and Cards - includes letters, letter packages, lightweight aerogrammes and post cards.
2.Other Articles - includes printed matter, matter for the blind and small packets.
3.Parcel Post
4.Express Mail International Service

An example for correctly addressing international mail:

Mr. John Doe
117 Russell Drive
Victoria BC V8W 3N6

  • Weight limit for letters and letter packages is 4 pounds.

  • Weight limit for Parcel Post is 44 pounds (most countries).

  • Bulk Mail cannot be mailed to any international country.

  • No International Mail can be Certified.

  • Customs forms are required on all international mail weighing 16 ounces or more. The small green form (PS Form 2976) is used for items valued at $400 or less. The large white form (PS Form 2966-A) is used for items valued at more than $400 and all Parcel Post mail. They are available through UH Postal Services.

    For further information, contact UH Postal Services at Ext. 3-5840.

    Quick Links


    Postal Chargebacks

    Find Us
    General Services Bldg.
    4211 Elgin
    Parking Lot 17A

    713-743-5910 fax

    Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 5:00

    E-mail questions/comments about this web page to: