Walgreens and UHCOP PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency Program
Application deadline for the 2015-16 residency: January 15, 2015
The purpose of the Walgreens and University of Houston Community Pharmacy Residency is to provide the pharmacy resident with expertise in the implementation and management of sustainable Medication Therapy Management services in a health-system outpatient pharmacy environment. The program will involve the student in various activities that foster development of a multitude of skills such as leadership, research, practice management, and teaching skills for patients, students, pharmacists, and other health care providers. Upon successful completion of the residency, the resident will be prepared to pursue clinical patient care positions in community pharmacy, ambulatory care clinics or in academia as adjunct faculty.
The residency program is based at a premier Walgreens health system pharmacy location with innovative clinical pharmacy services for patients who are prescribed complex therapies for transplant or oncology. The community pharmacists at this site work closely with medical staff to provide optimal drug therapy for patients and will have a direct influence on patient outcomes through participation in patient counseling, immunization services, and Medication Therapy Management.
The resident also willgain clinical pharmacy experience in other select Walgreens health-system pharmacies in the Houston metropolitan area. The other sites include health system-based pharmacies that offer bedside delivery and post discharge follow up to improve patient adherence and reduce hospital readmission rates. In addition, residents gain insight to management issues that can affect the implementation of patient care services in the community pharmacy setting.
The residency is offered in partnership with the University of Houston College of Pharmacy. This partnership allows the resident the opportunity to gain experience in the delivery of clinical pharmacy services in ambulatory care clinics. The resident actively participates in teaching and precepting experiences at the College.
To download PDF of program flier, please click here.
The resident will participate in the provision of patient-care services through the following:
- Development of health and wellness programs;
- Disease state management programs in areas such as oncology, transplant, asthma/COPD and Hepatitis C;
- Medication therapy management;
- Pharmacist-administered immunizations; and
- Community outreach programs.
The resident will participate in the following activities that strengthen practice management and educator skills:
- Design and conduct a practice-based research project;
- Present research findings at a regional residency conference and in an appropriate professional meeting;
- Execute a marketing strategy for the promotion of patient care services; and
- Provide clinical instruction to student pharmacists at the college and pharmacy.
Residency Program Benefits
- Competitive stipend
- Comprehensive medical plan
- Travel allowance for pharmacy-related conferences
- Two weeks of vacation and holidays
- Doctor of Pharmacy degree from a college or school of pharmacy accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education
- Texas Pharmacist license within 90 days of the start of the residency program
- Completed online application form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three professional letters of recommendation
- A written statement explaining why you are pursuing a community pharmacy residency and what you hope to gain from the residency program
- Official university transcripts
- On-site interview (upon invitation)
- Powerpoint presentation (topic related to community pharmacy)
Submit application materials by Jan. 15, 2015, to:
Walgreens/UHCOP Community Pharmacy Residency Program
Attn: Santhi Masilamani, PharmD, CDE, MBA
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Texas Medical Center Campus
1441 Moursund St.
Houston, TX 77030
Specific questions about this residency program should be addressed to Santhi Masilamani via email at firstname.lastname@example.org