PGY1 Community Residency
Walgreens and UHCOP PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency Program
Application deadline for the 2014-15 residency: January 15, 2014
The mission of the Community Pharmacy Residency Program collaboration between UH College of Pharmacy and Walgreens Pharmacy is to provide post-graduate training that enables residents to achieve their professional goals, become a leader within the profession, provide compassionate care for members of their communities and contribute to the partnering insitutions' advancement in health care.
The residency program is based at a premier Walgreens health-system pharmacy with innovative clinical pharmacy services for patients who are prescribed complex therapies for transplant or oncology. Working closely with medical staff to provide optimal drug therapy for patients, community pharmacists at this site will have a direct influence on patient outcomes through participation in patient counseling, immunization services, and Medication Therapy Management.
The resident also will gain clinical pharmacy experience in other select Walgreens health systems pharmacies located in the Houston metropolitan area. The other sites include health system based pharmacies that offer bedside delivery and post-discharge follow-up to improve patient adherence and reduce hospital readmission rates. In addition, residents gain insight into management issues that can affect the implementation of patient care services in the community pharmacy setting.
The residency is offered in partnership with the University of Houston College of Pharmacy. This partnership allows the resident the opportunity to gain experience in the delivery of clinical pharmacy services in ambulatory care clinics. The resident actively participates in teaching and precepting experiences at the College.
To download PDF of program flier, please click here.
The resident will participate in the provision of patient-care services through the following:
- Development of health and wellness programs
- Disease state management programs in areas such as oncology, transplant, asthma/COPD and Hepatitis C
- Medication therapy management
- Pharmacist-administered immunizations
- Community outreach programs
The resident will participate in the following activities that strengthen practice management and educator skills:
- Design and conduct a practice-based research project
- Present research findings at a regional residency conference and in an appropriate professional meeting
- Execute a marketing strategy for the promotion of patient care services
- Provide clinical instruction to student pharmacists at the college and pharmacy
Residency Program Benefits
- Competitive stipend
- Comprehensive medical plan
- Travel allowance for pharmacy-related conferences
- Two weeks of vacation and holidays
- Doctor of Pharmacy degree from a college or school of pharmacy accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education
- Texas Pharmacist license within 90 days of the start of the residency program
- Completed online application form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three professional letters of recommendation
- A written statement explaining why you are pursuing a community pharmacy residency and what you hope to gain from the residency program
- Official university transcripts
- On-site interview (upon invitation)
- Powerpoint presentation (topic related to community pharmacy)
Submit application materials by Jan. 15, 2014, to:
Walgreens/UHCOP Community Pharmacy Residency Program
Attn: Santhi Masilamani, PharmD, CDE, MBA
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Texas Medical Center Campus
1441 Moursund St.
Houston, TX 77030
Specific questions about this residency program should be addressed to Santhi Masilamani via email at firstname.lastname@example.org