Pharmacy Summer Camp - June 24-27, 2014
In effort to encourage the pursuit of professional pharmacy and other health and research careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields, UH College of Pharmacy will present a 3 1/2-day Pharmacy Summer Camp for junior and senior high school students Tuesday, June 24, through Friday, June 27.
An information session for parents, prospective camp participants and high school counselors will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday, May 15, at UH's Science & Research Building 2, Room 130. (Free parking is available after 5 p.m. in Lot 16.)
The cost of the camp is $200 per person. Upon acceptance, participants/parents will be notified with further instructions and payment remittance.
Camp activities will run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. June 24-26 and 8:30 a.m. to noon June 27. Each day's activities will begin and end at UH's Texas Medical Center Campus (not on UH Main Campus).
- Academic Advising and Planning - Receive tips and guidance on how to prepare for your education and career in pharmacy practice and/or research
- Career Discovery - Learn about the diverse job opportunities for pharmacists
- Research Opportunities - Visit UHCOP labs and meet with faculty researchers in clinical and basic sciences
- Tour Texas Medical Center and Shadow Pharmacists - Explore the internationally recognized community of healing, learning and discovery and the largest medical complex in the world, just minutes from the UH campus
- Meet Pharmacy Professionals, Researchers and Current Students - Find out about working in different pharmacy settings from real-world practitioners, researchers and current UH Pharm.D. students
- Hands-on Activities and Live Demos - Learn about pharmacy skills and techniques, such as patient counseling and compounding
Light breakfast and lunch will be provided to participants each day at no additional cost (please notify the college contact below of any special dietary requirements/restrictions).
Please note: Attendees are responsible for transportation to and from the TMC campus as well as any fees for use of TMC Parking Garages. Overnight housing will not be provided by the college.
- Open to students entering Junior or Senior year of high school in fall 2014
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above on 4.0 scale
- Math/Science cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above on 4.0 scale
Application Requirements - Deadline Monday, June 2
- Complete Application Form (.pdf), including Personal Essay, print and submit to address below no later than June 2
- Order/submit an official high school transcript (must be either sent directly to UHCOP from school or submitted in official sealed envelope from school along with other application documents)
- Request Teacher/Counselor Recommendation (NOTE: Student and parent should sign Waiver form on page 1; submit both pages with stamped envelope to high school counselor or math/science teacher when requesting recommendation)
All application materials must be received (not postmarked) by 4:30 p.m. Monday, June 2, at the following address:
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
122 Science & Research Bldg. 2
Houston, TX 77204-5000
Acceptance Notification and Payment
Applicants will be notified of acceptance by Monday, June 9.
By 4:30 p.m. Monday, June 19, the following items are required in order to secure registration: 1) Payment in full by check or money order in the amount of $200; and 2) proof of health insurance coverage.
For more information, please contact Nekesa Berkley at 713-743-1261.
Persons with disabilities who desire accommodations should contact Dr. Paige Pitman at 832-842-8376 by June 1, 2014.