Pharmacy Summer Camp - June 26-28, 2013
In effort to encourage the pursuit of professional pharmacy and other health and research careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields, UH College of Pharmacy will present a three-day Pharmacy Summer Camp for high school students Wednesday, June 26, through Friday, June 28.
An information session for parents, prospective camp participants and high school counselors will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday, May 16, at UH's Science & Research Building 2, Room 130. (Free parking is available after 5 p.m. in Lot 16.)
To view the PDF of the tentative schedule for the camp, click here.
- Advice and Planning - Receive tips and guidance on how to prepare for your education and career in pharmacy and other health sciences and research
- Career Discovery - Learn about the diverse job opportunities for pharmacists
- Research Opportunities - Visit UHCOP labs and meet with faculty researchers in clinical and basic sciences
- Tour Texas Medical Center - Explore the internationally recognized community of healing, learning and discovery and the largest medical complex in the world, just minutes from the UH campus
- Meet Pharmacy Professionals - Find out about working in different pharmacy settings from real-world practitioners
- Developing Study Skills - Learn effective study skills to manage academic and experiential requirements of a pharmacy educational program
Camp activities will run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day at UH's Science & Research Building 2.
Light breakfast and lunch will be provided to participants each day at no additional cost (please notify the college contact below of any special dietary requirements/restrictions).
Attendees are responsible for transportation to and from the UH campus, but the college will provide transportation for a tour of the Texas Medical Center. Overnight housing will not be provided by the college; visit the UH Hilton website for information about accommodations on campus.
- Open to students entering Junior or Senior year of high school in fall 2013
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above on 4.0 scale
- Math/Science cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above on 4.0 scale
- Complete online application form (NOTE: Before clicking "Submit" button on online application, print a copy to be submitted with all other documents and payment)
- Order/submit an official high school transcript (must be either sent directly to UHCOP from school or submitted in official sealed envelope from school along with other application documents)
- Submit a Personal Essay (no longer than 1 page, single-spaced, or 2 pages, double-spaced) describing yourself, your careers goals or interests, and hobbies/extra-curricular activities
- Request Teacher/Counselor Recommendation (NOTE: Student and parent should sign Waiver form on page 1; submit both pages with stamped envelope to high school counselor or math/science teacher when requesting recommendation)
- Submit Check or money order payable to "University of Houston" in the amount of $200 per student (limited scholarships may be available at the recommendation of the student's high school counselor)
All application materials must be received (not postmarked) by 4:30 p.m. Friday, May 31, at the following address:
122 Science & Research Bldg. 2
Houston, TX 77204-5000
For more information, please contact Nekesa Berkley at 713-743-1261.
Financial support for the UH Pharmacy Summer Camp was generously provided by a diversity grant from Walgreens.