Profile: Andrea Smesny
Executive Associate Dean
Clinical Associate Professor
UH College of Pharmacy
Science and Research Building 2, Room 141C
Houston, Texas 77204-5000
University of Houston College of Pharmacy, Cum Laude, Houston, Texas
Master of Public Health
University of Texas School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas
Bachelor of Science
Biology, University of Houston, Houston, Texas
1999 – present
University of Houston College of Pharmacy, Houston, Texas
- Executive Associate Dean, 2014 - present
- Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs, 2008 - present
- Assistant Dean for Academic and Student Affairs, 2006 - 2008
- Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, 2004-2006
- Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Clinical Sciences and Administration, 2012-present
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Clinical Sciences and Administration, 1999-2012
- Pharmacy Skills Program Coordinator, Office of the Dean, 1999-2004
- Director, Community Wellness Program, 1999-2004
1997 – 1999
Northeast Medical Center Hospital, Humble, Texas
- Clinical Coordinator, Department of Pharmacy – developed and maintained clinical programs and trained staff pharmacists in clinical activities
- Instructor, Nursing Continuing Education Program
- Instructor, New Diabetic Group Education
- Member, Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
- Member, Patient Education Committee
- Consultant Pharmacist, Skilled Nursing Facility
- Consultant Pharmacist, Northeast Medical Center Hospice
- Preceptor for pharmacy interns - University of Houston, University of Texas at Austin, Creighton University, and the University of Colorado.
- Facts and Comparisons Award of Excellence, Clinical Communications, 1997.
- University of Houston Distinguished Young Alumni Award, 2000
- Healthcare Pathfinder Award, Texas Pharmacy Foundation, 2002
- Rho Chi Teaching Excellence Award, UH College of Pharmacy, 2001-2002.
- Phi Lambda Sigma Faculty Leadership Induction, 2002.
- Faculty Service Excellence Award, University of Houston, 2003.
- Outstanding Faculty Leadership Award, 2004-2005
Monjok EM, Essien EJ, Smesny A, Okpokam SN (2010): A training need for rural primary care in Nigeria. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 2010;30(8):833-5.
Monjok E, Smesny A, Essien EJ (2010): The Specialty of General Medical Practice and Family Medicine: The need for development in Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice, Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice, Sept. 2010; Vol. 13(3):356-358.
Monjok E, Smesny A, Ekabua JE, Essien EJ (2010): Contraceptive use and practice in Nigeria: A Review of the Literature and Recommendation for Future Policy Decisions. Journal of Contraception 2010; 1: 9-22.
Monjok E, Smesny A, Okokon I, Mgbere O, Essien EJ (2010): Adherence to Antiretroviral Therapy in Nigeria: An Overview of Research Studies and Implications for Policy and Practice. Journal of HIV/AIDS - Research and Palliative Care, 2: 69-76.
Monjok E, Smesny A, Mgbere O, Essien EJ (2010): Routine HIV Testing in Health Care Settings: The deterrent factors to Maximal Implementation in Sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of the International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care, 9: 1: 23-29.
Monjok E, Smesny A, Essien EJ (2009): HIV/AIDS - Related Stigma and Discrimination in Nigeria. Review of Research Studies and future directions for Prevention Strategies. African Journal of Reproductive Health, 13: 3: 7-31.
Smesny AL, Williams JS, Brazeau GA, Weber RJ, Matthews HW, Das SK. Barriers to scholarship in dentistry, medicine, nursing, and pharmacy practice faculty. Am J Pharm Educ. 2007 Oct 15;71(5):91. Review. PMID: 17998988
- American Society of Consultant Pharmacists, 2008 - present
- Phi Lamda Sigma, Omicron Chapter, 2002-present
- Kappa Epsilon Professional Fraternity, Upsilon Chapter, 2001-present
- Texas Pharmacy Association, 2000-present
- Harris County Pharmacy Association, 2000-2002
- Gulf Coast Society of Health Systems Pharmacists, 2000-2002
- Texas Society of Health Systems Pharmacists, 1999-2002
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, 1999-present
- American College of Clinical Pharmacists, 1997- 1999
- American Society of Health Systems Pharmacists, 1996-present
- Rho Chi Society, Beta Omicron Chapter, 1996-present
- American Pharmaceutical Association, 1993-2008